Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Holiday Favorites - Revisiting Corn Pudding

This has been a busy weekend. Kids and grandbabies visiting, family dinners, church potlucks... 
A prelude to Thanksgiving, if you will. And what is Thanksgiving without our favorite side dishes.

Corn Pudding is my husband's fave, one his mother made for decades, and it's easy peasy.
Not to mention all kinds of yummy.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 - 15.5 oz can cream style corn
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 - 4 oz. can diced green chilies
  • 1/2 cup corn meal
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
Mix everything together in a medium size bowl.


Now I know some of you folks north of Oklahoma are thinkin', "Chilies? Cayenne?" I promise, this is not spicy. However, you're free to skip the cayenne, if you must. The green chilies aren't hot, though. Just flavorful. And we're all about flavor, right?

Pour mixture into a greased casserole, bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
It should be golden to slightly brown on the top and around the edges.
Depending on how many people I'm feeding, I usually double the recipe and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

Thanksgiving Day will be rather low-key around the Obi house this year. Only four of us. We'll have turkey and everyone gets to pick a favorite side. Mine is cornbread dressing, though you may call it stuffing. Since I make it only once or twice a year, it's a treat. One I will likely feed on for days. And I can hardly wait.

What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? Are you hosting dinner or going to someone else's house? What's your favorite part of Thanksgiving Day? Parades? Food? People? Football games?




Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

5 comments:

  1. I love corn pudding! I cheat and use the Jiffy cornbread mix... but oh my stars, this has become a staple around here for holidays and parties, Mindy. It's so good! Wishing you the very best of Thanksgiving weeks, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, the only problem with the Jiffy mix is that it makes it sweet. And a lot of corn pudding recipes do add sugar, but I prefer it without.

      Happy Thanksgiving to you an yours!

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's probably why I like it!!! You know me and sugar... and I like sweet cornbread.

      Mine calls for sour cream and jalapenos.... so I cheat and use Bison Jalapeno Chip Dip so I don't have to chop the little peppers....

      So I like a little heat with my sugar!

      Delete
  2. Oh, yum!! Mindy, you sold me on trying green chilis and now I crave them!! So I'll definitely try this!

    Enjoy your family being home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, this recipe wouldn't be the same without them. I love the flavor they add. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete