Friday, October 26, 2018

Seafood Night!

Missy Tippens

I'm sharing this today because I felt really clever when I made these dishes! :)

I decided to have a seafood night and picked up some good shrimp (I was craving shrimp cocktail) and a couple of lobster tails on sale at the grocery store. When it got to be time to cook, I had to figure out how I was going to cook everything. And I came up with an idea.


First, I seasoned a pot of water with Old Bay and the juice of a lemon. I put the water on to boil.

Then I added the shrimp. It only takes 2- or 3 minutes to cook them (until they're pink). These were huge, so I think I did it more like 3-4 minutes.


Then I scooped the shrimp out of the water and put them in the refrigerator to chill. I poured off about half of the water and put the rest of the nice shrimpy/spiced water back on the stove to keep boiling. I put a steamer insert into the water.

Then I laid the lobster tails into the steamer basket.


I covered the pot and steamed the tails (they were pretty thick so I let them steam for a few minutes but kept a close eye on them). While they cooked, I melted butter in small bowls for each of us.


I took them out when they looked done (no longer translucent).

I felt very clever for re-using the flavored water this way! And it really did give the lobster tails a great flavor.

Here was our seafood feast for two!


www.MissyTippens.com

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Missy! That looks delicious. I missed my lobster this summer since I didn't get to go to Maine. I'm thinking I'll have to schedule a visit to my daughter. Even though she's vegan, she tolerates my lobstah love.

    Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lobstah love! haha Yes, I'm sure that's how they say it up there! :)

      I do hope you get to go visit!

      Delete
  2. Missy, you are speaking my language. I like shrimp, but I LOVE lobster. And Old Bay seasoning is hard to beat. I use it for shrimp all the time.

    And now I'm craving lobster. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea this is! And I have never tried Old Bay seasoning. I'm pretty embarrassed to say that! But I will now...

    And am I the only person who broils her lobster lightly after cooking (or cooking it that way only) because I like it a little drier? So if I steam it and don't tuck it under the broiler, it seems too moist.

    I am probably weird, right? But we knew that!

    And I love the idea of re-using the seasoned water, Missy. I love flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I'm surprised you haven't tried it! Of course, you probably don't do too many low country boils around Western NY. :)

      Delete