Monday, October 1, 2018

Deadlines = No Cooking!

by Jan Drexler

It's deadline day today, and you know what that means! I'm not even thinking about food!

But we still need to eat, right? So I have prepared.

Lunches the past few days have been simple: salads, sandwiches, or just blocks of cold meat and cheese in a bowl with an apple on the side.

I also stocked up on one of my favorite quick lunches: Salads from Sam's (click here for that post)



For supper tonight, we're having one of our favorite fall dishes, beef stew. The last time I made it, I cooked a double batch and froze half of it. Tonight I'll be heating it up and we'll enjoy a hot meal.

For this recipe, click here!

Meanwhile, I'm deep into the second story of "The Amish of Weaver's Creek" series, mingling the history of the Amish in Ohio with the could-have-happened events of the Civil War.

The first book in the series, The Sound of Distant Thunder is available now!

Order here!

What are some of your favorite last-minute quick meal ideas?

Have a great day! I need to get back to my writing!

6 comments:

  1. LOL! When I am on a tight deadline, I serve a lot of "Pretend I'm Dead Casserole."

    "Mom, what's for supper?"
    "Pretend I'm dead. What would you eat? Serve that."
    :D Thankfully, I have a couple grown kids and a capable, understanding husband who let me get away with this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that. It sounds a lot like the "get your own" that we serve around here! LOL!

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh! Permission to use the "pretend I'm dead casserole" theme?! That is the best I heard. Sometimes I serve just food. Aka it has been a long day and have no plan.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Erica. That made me laugh. Hope the writing is going well, Jan. I love the idea of this series. *Makes note to pick up Book One.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, I love quick meals like this (some store-bought and some prepared ahead). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know my go-to is tuna... I do buy the pricier cans (go me!!!) and not the stuff that reminds me of cat food...

    I'm just sayin'! :)

    But when I'm burning the candle at both ends, that's my go-to. And sometimes Marie Callendars pot pies with a bajillion calories. But I don't care about then because I'm so hungry.... and probably cake. :)

    This is so true, my men have learned to fare for themselves at times (Zach actually will cook pasta and stuff for us, Dave would stare at the stove, wondering what those buttons are for, LOL!)

    Okay, slight exaggeration, but you get it.

    So I hear ya', girlfriend!

    In NYC you can order supper in every night. From a multitude of places.

    Not so much in the country! So it's tuna or frozen soup or open a can or a quick go-to like hamburger stroganoff, etc.

    Which sounds real good right about now!

    ReplyDelete