Tuesday, October 23, 2018

A Little Bit of Pumpkin (Cake)

So last week was about soups and some other fall weather favorite meals. But it dawned on me the other day that here we are, more than midway through October, and I have not eaten or made anything pumpkin.

Hmm...

Time to remedy that. 

Actually, I've shared this recipe before and I really do love it. First, it's delicious. And it's small, only an 8x8 or 9x9 pan's worth. Meaning you're not munching on cake for the rest of the week.

Here's what you'll need for this Pumpkin Cake:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup softened cream cheese
  • 2 Tbs butter, softened
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium to large size bowl, beat the sugar and eggs until well combined.
Add pumpkin and oil.
And beat a medium speed to combine.
Love that color.

With your mixer on low, add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
And beat for one minute.
Yes, the batter will be thick.

Spread batter into greased 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan.
Bake until cake is set and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
Allow cake to cool, then make your frosting.

In a medium size bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla.
And beat until fluffy.

Spoon frosting onto cake.
And spread evenly, using knife or offset spatula.
Delicious!
A taste of autumn in every bite. And what's not to like about that.

We've had a pleasantly cool and rainy week here in south central Texas. Perfect weather to stay inside and finish the second book in my current contract. I'm excited about the way it turned out. Those characters can sometimes throw you curve ball, but it usually makes things turn out better. Now it just needs a little spit-shine before I send it off to my editor.

So what are you up to this week? Writing? Reading? Making the most of autumn before winter sets in?





Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

4 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious!

    I haven't had anything pumpkin yet, either. I found a new recipe for pumpkin oatmeal cookies that I'm going to try. I'll let you know if they turn out. If they don't, you won't hear another word about them. :-)

    I found canned pumpkin on sale at the store yesterday, so I got a couple extra cans (I always stock up this time of year!). I'll have to try this cake!

    Thanks, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, it is definitely delicious. And because there isn't a thick layer of frosting, the flavors of the cake really shine through. Though I have to admit, another time, another place, I could easily eat the frosting all by itself. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love pumpkin cake and pie! This is on my list. Thankfully no matter the size pan what is left can go to work with my husband. There is always someone to eat leftover sweets I'm a retail store. Instead of frosting I would top mine with some whipped cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I love pumpkin pie, too. But that will have to wait until turkey day. In the meantime, there are plenty of other pumpkin sweets to tide me over.

      And what a blessing to have a place to send leftovers. Especially sweets. Because if they're here at the house, I'm going to eat them all. One of the blessings of this cake is that it makes a small one. And since my son likes it, too, well, there just wasn't as much for Mom. And that's a good thing.

      Delete