Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Stir Fry Pineapple Shrimp with Rice Noodles

Confession Time:

This healthy writer has been neither healthy nor writing much.

The reason?

School started.

I've been teaching for two decades or more, and during that time there have been many, many changes.

One thing never changes. The first two weeks of school are mind-numbingly exhausting. The night owl has fallen asleep by 9:00 more nights than my tired brain can count.  When I stumble in the door at the end of the day, cooking something healthy is just more than I can manage.

So there has been a lot of pizza, quick-cooking things like chicken tenders and fish fillets (the breaded kind you buy in the freezer section).

But my body is rebelling. It's craving something healthy.

So I'm hereby vowing to make at least something healthy each week so I can post about it.

Today's meal was relatively easy.

I didn't want pasta so I picked up some Thai rice noodles. I had never cooked with them before, but it was easy and they were perfect for the meal.


All I had to do was soak them in hot water and then add them to the stir fry. (On a night that making rice seems too laborious, this was a WIN!)

But I get ahead of myself.

Step one was to thaw some pre-cooked shrimp.

Step two was to stir fry the shrimp with a spoonful of coconut oil and some freeze-dried garlic.






Step three - add in some frozen pineapple. Simmer until the pineapple warms up.




Step four - add in the noodles and stir around until warm (about 3 - 5 minutes)

Serve and enjoy.






I did enjoy it. The rice noodles were light enough that they picked up a light flavor from the  pineapple juice and coconut.

Definitely a success!



And tonight I get a real meal out because I'll be celebrating my baby's 31st birthday!


8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this looks marvelous! I love this idea, Cate, and I've never tried the rice noodles... Thanks for experimenting with them for us.

    Pineapple and shrimp.... hint of coconut... I am all in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Ruthie. The rice noodles were a delightful surprise. I'd had visions of a clump of goo, but they were light and added to the taste experience because they absorbed so much of the flavor.

      Hope things are going well down on the farm.

      Delete
  2. You know, Mary Cate, I guess I'm just not that into having pineapple with savory foods. I can do pineapple alone or with sweet things, but I still don't love it, so that may be part of the problem. But those rice noodles, I'm all over those. I love getting those ate Asian restaurants, in Pad Thai or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't believe I've never tried cooking with them before.

      Delete
  3. I have a package of rice noodles in the cupboard, purchased for a recipe I never made (does anyone else do that?), plus some chicken, frozen broccoli, onion and garlic...I'll have to make a stir-fry for supper sometime soon!

    Tonight is soup night, though. We're rainy and 55°, and there is a bag of red potatoes just waiting to be turned into Zuppa Toscana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that far too often, Jan!

      Cold and soup sounds delightful!

      Delete
  4. I never thought to keep rice noodles on hand to take the place of rice! Thanks so much for that suggestion!

    I think I would add a veggie instead of pineapple but would love the garlic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think vegetables would be a great substitution. I was tempted to add in asparagus.

      Delete