Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Revisting Fried Pies and Happy Memories

Long ago, when I was a young bride, God placed two special women in my life that were very influential. Without my girls' grandmother and great grandmother I might never have learned how to make biscuits from scratch. Or cornbread. And who would have taught me to make fried chicken or chicken fried steak? 

These two born and bred Texans introduced this transplanted northerner to a whole new way of cooking. One I heartily embraced. And though these woman have both passed on, I am proud to help carry on their culinary legacies.

One of the things Greatmom was know for most was her fried pies.
She made these little chocolate hand-pies whenever the grands would visit. And she rarely paid them a visit where she wasn't required to make a batch.

Greatmom came from "the greatest generation." She grew up during the depression and sent a husband off to WW II while raising four little ones. Money was something that was always scarce, but that didn't stop her from making great meals and treats, even on a shoestring so thin it broke if you tugged on it.

You may have heard me talk about her biscuits before. Love them! But her basic biscuit recipe also served as dumplings (click here for her chicken and dumpling recipe) and the basis for her fried pies.

First for the biscuit recipe.

In a mixing bowl, combine:
  • 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 2 Tbsp. Canola oil
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
Mix well, turn onto floured surface and knead until no longer sticky.  
Form into ball and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine 1 cup cocoa and 1 cup sugar. Set aside.
Pinch off a small ball of dough.
(I had painted nails? Wow. I can't remember the last time I did that.)

Roll ball into a 5 to 6-inch circle.
Spread flat with softened butter. Don't be too chintzy, but don't be heavy-handed either.
Sprinkle with two tablespoons of sugar/cocoa mixture.
Fold in half and--here's Greatmom's trick for sealing the edges--roll a saucer or small plate around the edges to both trim and seal.
 

They're ready for frying.
Greatmom usually fried hers in a small amount of butter. Since I didn't have enough, I used canola oil, which actually made them puffier.

Brown first side, then flip over and cook until other side is golden brown.
Greatmom's little chocolate pies. See the chocolaty center oozing out? 
This was kind of an impromptu thing. The boys were complaining that there wasn't anything sweet to eat and I wasn't about to run to town. These took me maybe thirty minutes to make. An hour later, I was chastised for not making more. Man, when you got hungry men around, there's just no pleasing them.

Now it's your turn. Was there someone in your life who greatly influenced who you are today, culinarily or otherwise? Do you have a fast fix idea when those you love are scavenging for a sweet treat? 
------------------------------
Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus, lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children, two dogs and countless cattle. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining and sometimes adventurous manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com


13 comments:

  1. Mindy, my mom always liked to bake and let us help. And my grandmother taught me how to make her pie crust.

    These pies look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really tasty, Missy. Though I don't think they'd be near as good with a traditional pie crust. How fun that your grandmother taught you how to make her pie crust. Sweet memories, I'm sure.

      Delete
  2. Both of my grandmothers were excellent cooks and bakers, and I learned so much from them. My own mom also learned from them, but didn't have the same confidence and time to bring it to the artist level they did (she was a teacher, so time at home was limited.)

    These remind me of the piecrust cookies I make when I have a little leftover dough, except that I bake them instead of frying them. I'll have to try these sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you, Jan. Neither my mom nor my grandmother were big bakers. I remember grandma's blueberry pies, but that was about it. Like your mom, mine worked and didn't have a lot of time. Not that she was that interested in baking. Somehow I got that gene, though. So by the time I was in high school, I was the one doing the baking and trying new recipes. Of course, I was pretty good at eating what I made, too. Yeah, the eating has never been a problem.

      Delete
  3. My mother and grandmother were both amazing bakers and cooks. I learned so much from them. I enjoy baking pies for family dinners but I've never made fried pies. I may have to try them in the future.

    I enjoy a fried pie when attending a benefit in Amish country. They had a delicious lemon one last year--oh my goodness it was wonderful. Lemon and peach fried pies are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, I used to think of fried pies as similar to Hostess Fruit Pies, but these were so different and I fell in love with them immediately.

      What precious memories you must have of baking with your mother and grandmother. I love hearing that.

      Delete
  4. You had me at the picture showing it has chocolate! Baking might hold off for a little while as I got a new kitchen toy last weekend so it is my new obsession! Will these work in an instant pot?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, if you can figure that out, you have got to let me know. I bought an Instant Pot a few weeks ago and all I've done so far is boil water. Once. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got one Sat!! I have cooked in it twice. Got the 8qt and glad I did! If I make 2 big meals in it during a busy week I don't have to cook the rest of the week!

      Delete
    2. So update I looked online and you can't deep fry in the pot, but you can pan fry. If that is the case the high sides would be nice.

      Delete
  6. Mmmmmm. Just seeing this in the middle of the night and now I'm starving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, never ever look at food blogs in the middle of the night!

      Delete
  7. I love fried pies! That's one of my favorite things. I use our deep fryer, but it's the same in the end, delicious pastry fried to tender amazingness.

    Mindy, what a fun idea Grandma had. I love it!

    ReplyDelete