Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Katie's Beet Brownies

You may remember that a few weeks back, I was talking about beet burgers and Katie Drexler commented about a recipe for Beet Brownies.

Despite the horrified protestations of certain unnamed cafe hosts, Katie persevered. Earlier this week, she surprised me with an email about the brownies.

She was gracious enough to allow me to share her recipe and her thoughts.

First, here's a link to the recipe she used.


Here's what Katie had to say:

Made them tonight and a couple things to note the texture isn't exactly like normal brownies, but it is still good. I also only used 1/3 of a cup chocolate chips instead of a half and didn't use the coffee. When they are warm the beet is more noticeable, but once they cool the chocolate takes over. This suggests to bake the beets and then remove the skin. It works, but the beets might need more time then she says to get soft. 

These are some photos of Katie's batter and brownies. 



Katie shared this photo because she thinks the batter looks pretty. I agree!




Her verdict: They are kind of like red velvet brownies. 


What do you think?

And if you looked at the recipe, did you see the link for Parsnip Cake? I have to admit, when she described it as similar to carrot cake, I was hooked. I'll get back to you on that one.

Thanks, Katie, for sharing your baking.


In other exciting news -

My new collection is LIVE and we've gotten some really nice reviews so far.

Faithful Women: Legacies of Grace




19 comments:

  1. Am I one of those unnamed people, Mary Cate?

    Beet brownies? Well, I have a brownie recipe, sugar free, that uses okra, so I guess anything is possible. But at least I don't have to worry about okra staining things.

    So I guess it's true that I'm not as averse to traditional recipes that have been modified for special diets and incorporate what may be traditional ingredients used in very untraditional ways as I once was. However, it still boils down to taste as ease of use. And, apparently, chocolate really does cover a multitude of sins/flavors. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember no names, Mindy. (Benefit of old age ;) )

      I know this will sound wrong to people also, but I made a beet, kale, blueberry smoothie yesterday and the beets made it really sweet.

      Beets RULE!

      Delete
    2. That smoothy sounds really good Cate! I think you should put it on your list of blog posts sometime!

      Delete
    3. I think I will, Katie, since both you and Kav requested it.

      Delete
  2. I am not going to lie. Another Drexler in my house is not sold on them, but he doesn't like beets and he thinks they should have a brownie texture. Just means more for me!! However I have to eat them fast enough! The link says she freezes them. I just might do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Did you tell him there were beets in the brownies first? 'Cause that's just setting up the naysayers. :-)

      Delete
    2. LOL, Kav. That's a mother talking.

      Delete
  3. Yeeessss! I have a great gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free everything free bakery close to me and they make some delectable desserts including brownies but they are super expensive.

    I'm game to try these beet brownies. If I do, can I count them as veggie dish at dinner? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband always says if there are vegetables in brownies/cake it is healthy! So yes! I had one for a quick breakfast this morning. He watched me make them so he knew what was in them. The beet flavor is there a little, but if you like them it is no problem in my opinion.

      Delete
    2. I'm always looking for breakfast ideas. :)

      Delete
  4. I didn't know you were sharing Katie's recipe today! What a great surprise!

    Now that I have the recipe, I'm going to have to try these. I'll have to do like Katie, though, and keep them all to myself. A certain member of our household is very much like his son (Katie's husband) when it comes to vegetables in baked goods.

    Except zucchini bread. I can always make zucchini bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know either, until I opened Katie's email and thought ,YES!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I'm eating a zucchini chocolate chip muffin as I respond here.

      Delete
  5. Katie!!!! Oh my gosh, you did it! Go you!!!!

    I'm so glad you shared it, girlfriend. Now, will I make them???

    Hmmm........


    (runs a loving hand across a box of Baker's Bitter Chocolate and thinks of how Baker's Brownies taste....)

    I must think on this, Katie, but at least you GOT me thinking and we all know that's a trick!!!!

    Well done, C & K!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy don't think of them as replacements for regular brownies. Think of them as a new adventure to try now and then! Hehe I tried kale cupcakes one time too. Not everyone shares my love of using vegetables in new ways!

      Delete
    2. I may have to make these next time you decide to visit the city, Ruthie. See if I can convince you.

      Delete
  6. Sorry I didn't get to reply to you all yesterday. My sisters brought my 88 year old mother to take me out to lunch to celebrate that landmark birthday from last week. Sadly, my mom now has dementia, and even though she was good for most of the day, it was an adventure. Add in two girls who are both moving this week, and WOW. It was quite a day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry I didn't get by yesterday! But I'm thrilled to see this recipe! I've been wanting to hear more about it. YUM!

    Mary Cate, I'm glad you had an outing with your mother, even if it turned into quite the adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete