Thursday, August 30, 2018

In New York City!



But before we came here to see our youngest son one last time ... in New York, that is!... before he moves to Dallas, I made a favorite of ours.

Easy.

Delicious.

Reasonably healthy!



STIR FRY:

Asian Veggie mix ( I get the big frozen bags with two bags inside... but two of the small bags works, too) OR... Normandy/California mix works fine if Asian mix isn't available
2 cans sliced water chestnuts
Sesame Oil
1/4 cup Soy sauce
1/4 cup Oyster sauce (this is the secret ingredient!!!) 
1/4 cup Water
Ginger
Garlic
1 1/2 lb. or so cut up chicken, steak, pork or shrimp or go meatless KAV!!!!! :)

Heat up large frying pan, like really large.  Drizzle with olive oil.... add meat. Liberally sprinkle meat with granulated garlic.... and about half as much ginger.  Cook over quick, hot heat until done.

Add water chestnuts.  Drizzle with sesame oil and about 1/4 cup oyster sauce, 1/4 cup soy sauce and 1/4 cup water..... Heat quickly, then put veggies on top, stir, heat until veggies are cooked but not soggy...

Serve!


 
 Rice:
6 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
Olive oil
3 cups Basmati (or another good variety) rice  (If you use Uncle Ben's, I won't tell! But I love Basmati rice)

Bring water to a boil. Add salt, drizzle in some olive oil, add rice. Stir once. Let return to a boil, cover and simmer on L-O-W for about twenty minutes.... Like really low!

Perfect rice, every time! (almost)  ;)

Serve stir fry over rice and enjoy!

And this is what's happening on the farm this week:

Jon and The Mighty Finn cleaning donkey manure....



CORN STALKS!!!!
We're getting ready for the season!!!!!

And then there's this:

My third Guideposts mystery!!!!!! Love this so much, and it's releasing in September!

What a fun series this was to work on.... and I'll be writing the final book of the series in September....

And can't wait to see what Priscilla and the gang are up to!

So that's how it's going, crazy busy, a goodbye to New York, a great Yankees game with a walk-off homer to win the game Tuesday night...

And a busy time on the farm.

So is your summer winding down?

Or are you still "full steam ahead!"????

Multi-published author Ruth Logan Herne is living her dream of writing sweet books that make folks laugh... and cry... and then laugh again. She lives on a pumpkin farm in Western New York and she loves the colors of fall... because they brighten the duller days of winter that follow! Visit her website ruthloganherne.com or friend her on facebook where she loves to talk with folks... or follow her on Twitter!

 


12 comments:

  1. You lost me at oyster sauce! I just can't bring myself to try it. You now make me long for New York. Maybe not the city though. One day I will see Niagara falls again and do the boat ride! We did the stairs when I was last there. I suppose your farm is too far from there? For now I will settle for the Sandy shores of the WI side of Lake Michigan for 3 days next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you can come to the city and see meeeeee.

      Delete
    2. Hey, I think seeing Mary Cate would make it worth dealing with the city! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I so want to come to your farm this fall, Ruthy. One year, I will make it.

    While you lost Katie at oyster sauce, I thought, "Aha! She knows the secret ingredient." I was watching something on the food network the other day and their was an Asian chef preparing a stir fry and he even said that oyster sauce is the key ingredient in stir fry. He said that most people think it's soy sauce, but it's oyster sauce that's always key. So good job, Ruthy.

    And I do love a good stir fry. But I don't think I've made one in ages. Something I need to correct, because no that we're rural, I can't just go grab Chinese food down on the corner. So this is going on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and congrats on the new release. Opening those boxes never gets old, does it?

      Delete
    2. I've never bought oyster sauce! I must remedy that. I bet it adds good umami. That and the sesame oil (which I adore).

      Delete
  3. This so delicious and easy! I haven't used oyster sauce in stir fry, either, but I do love the flavor when I use sesame oil.

    I'll have to try the oyster sauce. I'll let Katie know what my verdict is...maybe she'll be brave and try it, too. After all, she was brave enough to marry my son! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, somehow I don't see marrying a Drexler as a scary thing! ;)

      Delete
    2. Missy Jan has a point! Lol he can be a handful! Yet again I can be a pain too so it is even.

      Delete
  4. I missed your email yesterday.:( Boo hoooooo

    I will be sure NOT to miss this book. I love Priscilla.

    ReplyDelete