Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Continuing the Blueberry Trend

We've been talking blueberries here in the cafe. Mindy's post from yesterday had me searching our archives because I was SO sure I'd shared my blueberry peach coffee cake. But I couldn't find the recipe (so maybe I never did share it?).

But I found this one instead. Since I'm on deadline, and this was SO easy and delicious, I decided to share. You can always add peaches.  :

Blueberry Crumble = Easiest Recipe Ever

My birthday was a few weeks back, and for dessert, my eldest daughter brought a delicious Blueberry Cobbler. It had OJ in it, which gave it a unique, but delicious taste. You can find the recipe here, but I recommend reading the comments because the tweaks made it even better.

The rest of this is like an O. Henry tale.

I had some (a lot) of blueberries that I'd bought at the Farmer's Market.

Unfortunately, it had rained a lot that morning, so when my youngest opened the blueberries, they weren't in the best of shape.

No worries, said I. I will bake something with them. So she stored them in the fridge.

Then DD#1 showed up with the aforementioned cobbler.

I forgot about the sad blueberries in the frig.

Then one day, I was in the supermarket (really, not too many days later) and I saw this.




I thought, OH! I can put that in a pan and layer the blueberries on top!

Happily dreaming of maple praline pecan blueberries, I told my daughter the good news.

Are you seeing the O. Henry twist yet?

Yes, she'd eaten all the blueberries because she felt badly and didn't want them to go to waste.

So, now I had granola, but no blueberries.

Alas, the supermarket had a sale, and these turned out to be the best blueberries I've had all summer!


The recipe is so basic.
Grease pan with butter.
Spread granola.
Layer blueberries on top.
Bake.

I have no idea how long I baked. Since nothing really needed to be cooked, I just baked long enough for the blueberries to get juicy and blend in.

This was delicious as dessert (especially with vanilla ice cream), but I discovered it made an even better (and healthier) lunch when mixed with vanilla Greek yogurt.

Honestly, the granola and blueberries could probably just go in the yogurt without baking, but it tasted really good this way.








When I originally made this last year, I was celebrating the release of a novella. Now I'm anticipating the release of a new collection, later this month. Here's a sneak peek at the cover.



Each of us chose a specific woman from the Old Testament and reimagined her story as a contemporary romance. I chose Samuel's mother, Hannah. I hope you'll keep your eye out for the collection later this month.

10 comments:

  1. Cate, I love the blueberry and granola idea, but I love the beautiful collection even more! And what a great bunch of authors.... Go you! Huge congrats on that, I'll be watching for it... and thank you for blueberry fun this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruthy. Writing about a prayerful woman at this time in my life felt very fitting. It was truly a blessing.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful cover, Mary Cate. And the blueberry granola looks good, too. And while it is crisp, I kept thinking of a true fruit crisp. So when you put the fruit on top instead of the crisp, my brow went up. Just a little misleading, that's all. But I love granola and I love blueberries. Must have been a surplus on blueberries last week since they were on sale in both Texas AND NYC. Go figure.

    Once again, it's so GOOD to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mindy. Did I call it a crisp somewhere? The way my brain is working these days, I probably did. That would be a misnomer, because the only drawback to this is that the granola got a little more chewy than crisp with the extra baking. I might prefer my daughter's non-bake option, but that precludes melting ice cream, so NO THANKS!

      Delete
    2. My bad. You called it blueberry crumble over on Seekerville. So my brain took the CR and transposed crumble into crisp.

      Delete
    3. LOL My brain is pretty much a crisp.

      Delete
  3. More blueberries!! Yeah. And you had me at "easiest". Another must try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ALL about easy in the kitchen, LeAnne. Leaves more time for writing! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Mmm... I can taste the blueberry juice oozing through the granola as it bakes...

    Then you paired it with ice cream? Even better!

    And congratulations on the new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. The ice cream pretty much made it. But then ice cream always does. Have you tried the lactaid ice cream?

      Delete