Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Birthdays and Flowers

So, Monday was my birthday - one of those big ones - but never mind about that. We're only as old as we feel, right?

Well apparently, my family and friends were more into celebrating than I was, and I received two beautiful flower arrangements. Flowers are lovely, but the life of cut flowers is so fleeting that I decided to celebrate them here.

From my sisters - who delight in calling me "the elder" because I guess that's revenge for all the times they had to do as I said. Yeah, who's kidding who here?





The second bouquet, which really came first and in person, is this beautiful arrangement from a friend. It also came with a chocolate mousse cake, so who's looking at flowers?!






But before there were birthday flowers, I had been noticing the abundance of flowers in my neighborhood. We've had A LOT of rain this summer so some flowers are thriving and some are washing away. In any case, since I didn't do much cooking this past week, I figured I'd celebrate some Brooklyn gardens.

My church has a committee of angels who cultivate the most gorgeous garden.






Apple trees! As I posted this I was suddenly thinking of the significance of apple trees in a church garden. Hmmm





No flowers here, I just love the sight of the steeple soaring against the blue sky.




And speaking of flowers - THIS is about to go live.




Wishing you all a garden of delight today.


ETA: For Mindy


8 comments:

  1. Apples growing in a church garden in Brooklyn? Who'da thought? Not me, that's for sure.

    Mary Cate, I love all these photos. And your house must have smelled amazing with all those beautiful flower arrangements. So how come you didn't take a pic of the chocolate mousse cake? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers!

    And happy, happy birthday! Those big ones sneak up on us, don't they? I'm so glad your friends made it special!

    Now, pass a piece of that cake over here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that cake looks truly decadent!!! And I love the flower pictures. Especially how us city dwellers manage to find a patch of dirt willing to grow flowers for us. And I'm quite envious of your church. I know I shouldn't be but we meet in a high school and I know church isn't the building but...well...sometimes I just want the ambiance, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about city dwellers finding a place to plant, Kav. I decided to try to focus on that a little.

      And I am very fortunate in having such a beautiful church to worship in.

      Delete
  4. Now we're talking, Mary Cate. I'm sure that cake was just as pretty as those flowers before it was cut. And tasted far better, too. I'll be happy to take some of those leftovers off your hands. ;)

    ReplyDelete