Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Chicken Alfredo with Bacon

by Mindy Obenhaus

Okay, so the title of this post alone is pretty much 'nuf said. But, of course I will elaborate. 


I'm still in that ho-hum phase when it comes to fixing dinner. I don't want the same old same ol'. So when I decided to fix Chicken Alfredo the other night, I thought to myself, "What can I do to make this different? Better."


Well, as we're fond of saying around our house, bacon makes everything better, so why not.


I started with two pieces of thick-sliced bacon because I didn't want to go overboard. Ha! We're talking bacon. Is there such a thing as overboard? And while two were good I think I'd go with three or four next time. 


Cut the slices into small pieces, toss them in a skillet and fry until they're crisp. Then remove the bacon from the skillet onto a paper towel, leaving the rendered fat in the pan.


While the bacon is cooking, cut two boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Add those to the hot skillet, along with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir those around until thoroughly cooked.
Stir in bacon chunks and remove from skillet.
See why I said I'd add more bacon next time?

Drain and wipe out skillet with paper towel then, with skillet over low heat, add one stick of butter. 
Once that's melted, add 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese.

Whisk until smooth and creamy Add salt and pepper to taste. 

When you're ready to serve, simply add your favorite cooked pasta to a shallow bowl, add the chicken/bacon mixture and top with sauce.

Sorry, I got a little ahead of myself and started eating before taking this pic. But it was so worth it. That little bit of bacon flavor took your average chicken alfredo and boosted it to another level. Easy and delicious. My favorite kind of meal. 

And now for a couple of gratuitous baby pictures. Fawns are starting to show up all over the ranch, though deer are much more skittish than cows, so photo opps are harder to come by. But would you look at this tiny little fawn.
He or she was struggling to keep up with mama. Its little legs so wobbly. Oh, how I love the babies. 
And guess who has graduated to cereal?
Isn't she adorable? Though there's definitely a bit of mischief hiding behind those baby blues. Me thinks she's going to keep mama and daddy very busy in the coming months.


Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus, lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children, two dogs and countless cattle. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining and sometimes adventurous manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

8 comments:

  1. Mindy, nice option for those who enjoy bacon. I would try more spices on the chicken before bacon for me.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures--adorable grandbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't like bacon?! It really does make pretty much everything better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me! I'm a vegetarian so I don't get the whole bacon craze...especially when it comes to pairing it with chocolate or sprinkle it on donuts or adding it to ice cream.

      Love the baby pics -- critter and human -- you can't ever have enough baby pics.

      Delete
    2. Kav, I will admit that I've had bacon with chocolate and, honestly, I wasn't impressed. So there are limits to my bacon-makes-everything-better theory. Oh, and you can have just the alfredo sauce and pasta. No chicken or bacon for you, my friend.

      Delete
  3. Mindy, I'm sorry I missed yesterday! This recipe has me DROOLING! Yes, I think doubling the bacon would be good. Or maybe tripling it so I could eat two slices while cooking. ;)

    Love the photos! I've never seen a fawn so tiny!! And yes, I see grandchild mischief if your future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think, Missy. Extra for nibbling.

      And I'd not seen a fawn that tiny either. Hubby saw one crossing the road one morning. It's mama had crossed and was waiting, but the baby could only take a few steps, then it would lie down in the road. Hubby said it couldn't have been more than a few hours old. Sure wish I'd been there to get a pic of that.

      Delete