Tuesday, June 26, 2018

A Week in Review

by Mindy Obenhaus

This was one of those fun and crazy weeks here at the ranch. You know, the kind that's out of the norm and things get flipped upside down. 

A week ago, my guys headed down to the coast for a twelve-hour fishing trip out in the Gulf of Mexico. That meant I had a quiet day to myself and we now have some really nice red snapper fillets in the freezer.
Unfortunately for them, though, there was a tropical wave brewing in the Gulf, so there was a good bit of sea sickness going on. Made Mama glad she stayed home.

On the flip side of that coin, the same tropical wave brought us a few days of some much-needed rain. You know, sprinklers are one thing, but it always amazes me how fast things green-up after a good rain. 
Oh, and guess who came to see Grammy?
 I don't think I'll ever tire of that smile.
Or those big eyes.
And it's always a precious site when I see one of my boys holding her.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, my 6'5", 15 yo grandson also came to visit. Grammy hasn't been stealthy enough to catch any pictures of him yet. Big Daddy's been keeping him busy working the fence lines. 

Then there were the grandpups (the brown one and the small blonde). Together with our two dogs, it makes getting ready for the day a little more challenging. Crowded, for sure.
Oh, and I spotted (no pun intended) these two little ones the other day.
They're SO cute!

Of course, I did lots of cooking while everyone was here. Did I get any pictures, though? No. Sorry about that. But I can tell you that no one has gone hungry and the food was really, really good.

Maybe I'll do better for next week, because they'll be back again this weekend. Guess I'd better work on getting that menu planned.

Now it's your turn. What's going on in your corner of the world? Are you busy, busy, busy (that would be a YES from Ruthy) or enjoying some lazy summer days? 

-------------------------------
Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus, lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children, two dogs and countless cattle. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining and sometimes adventurous manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com




6 comments:

  1. You know, those fawns are cute until they eat 2K worth of baby corn and bean plants... I love the look of them, but I'm okay with chasing them off of our veggie farm... but now a herd of woodchucks and a warren of rabbits have decided that Blodgett Family Farm is their place of choice... so it's like a scene from a Beatrix Potter book, only NOT SO CUTE!!! :)

    I am in love with that baby... and yes, nature's water and it's even soaking pattern is so much better than our own sprinkling systems...

    Crazy what a difference it makes because you'd think that water is water...

    Maybe it's the cloud cover allowing more drinking time?

    Either way, how nice to have tall grandson on hand to help and beautiful baby grandgirlie on hand to hold! Perfect, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ruthy, our perspective on any of those cute little creatures changes when they decide to invade our turf. We have to plant ornamental garlic in front of our rose bushes to keep the deer from eating the roses. And don't even get me going on the armadillo that still wants to terrorize my flower beds.

      Delete
  2. The fawns ARE cute, and since our mini-gardens are on the deck and fenced in, I can say that!

    My June was super-busy, but productive. July looks like it's going to be calmer, so I hope to get in a lot of writing. :-)

    And I can't believe how much that baby has changed! She was beautiful when she was younger, but she's grown into baby-cuteness.

    Enjoy your time with your family, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for calmer days, Jan. I'm hoping for a few of those after RWA.

      Hasn't Miss T changed, though. And she is so happy. Nothing can brighten your day more than a little one like that sending a sweet smile your way. Just makes everything else fade away.

      Delete
  3. You're living the life, Mindy! I'd be in dog heaven down there...and the baby would be cute distraction too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I'm not sure who's more demanding, the dogs or the baby. The grandpups are with us for the week. I don't know why they couldn't have left the baby, too. At least I'll get to see her again this weekend.

      Too bad you don't live closer, Kav. You could be our family dog sitter. With all the dogs in our family, you'd never be bored.

      Delete