Monday, January 29, 2018

Big Breakfast, Low Carb Style

Jan here, with full disclosure: we are not vegetarians at our house.

But I do love to incorporate as many veggies as possible into our meals.



That gets a little difficult this time of year when fresh veggies can be scarce. I've talked about this other winters - we live hundreds of miles from the nearest big city, so transportation becomes a problem. Add the sub-zero freezing temperatures that we often have in the winter, and fragile fresh produce is at risk. On our last trip to Walmart, the produce department was almost bare and we could tell that a shipment hadn't survived the journey to the store.

So, what do we do?


If we can't find fresh veggies, we go with frozen.

I love the zero waste and convenience frozen veggies provide. I buy fresh veggies when I am able to, but frozen is my winter-time go-to.

Another veggie that is a recent addition to our grocer's freezer case is riced cauliflower.


Have you ever seen this? It's convenience overload!

I cook a bag full of riced cauliflower at the beginning of the week, and use it with my breakfast or lunch dishes all week long.

My favorite way to use it is in a huge breakfast: eggs, bacon, and "hashbrowns"...all low carb.

Super easy -

Big Breakfast, low carb style

ingredients:

2 eggs
1 cup riced cauliflower, cooked
butter or coconut oil

from here on, use your add-ins of choice:

bacon, cooked and chopped
sliced mushrooms
minced onion
minced garlic
frozen or fresh chopped kale
frozen or fresh chopped spinach
diced zucchini or yellow squash

In a large skillet over medium-low heat, saute your cauliflower and other ingredients in the butter or oil until the veggies are cooked and beginning to brown. (If you're using frozen veggies, turn the heat down and cover your skillet for a few minutes to thaw them first.) Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Push the "hash" to the side of the skillet, add a little more butter or oil, turn the heat up to medium, and add your eggs. You can scramble them or fry them...it doesn't matter.

When the eggs are cooked the way you like, place the "hash" and eggs on a plate. Season to your liking (I like to add some nutritional yeast on top) and enjoy!


This is a huge, filling breakfast. And did you notice that we've added no carbs?

Of course, you can substitute potatoes for the cauliflower if you want to! No rules! This is a meal to put together the way YOU like it!


What is your favorite breakfast?



Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.

You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com.






14 comments:

  1. Oh Jan I bet it would be good if you scramble the egg in with the hash too! Next time we get fresh cauliflower from our market box I am going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can "rice" your cauliflower using your food processor, if you have one. Otherwise, just chop it very finely and steam it to cook.

      And you're right - you can mix the scrambled eggs right it!

      Delete
  2. Favorite breakfast? That would be blueberry pancakes with sausage or bacon. That would also be a treat.

    Healthy breakfast is a struggle because I’m allergic to eggs. I can tolerate them in other things, but not straight up.
    Your scramble reminds me of a tofu scramble
    My daughter orders at one of our favorite eating places in Portland, Maine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh...pancakes! Now I think I need to make them for supper tonight!

      Allergic to eggs! Oh, how sad! I'm dealing with this lactose intolerance stuff, which is bad enough, but eggs? They are the mainstay of my breakfasts! So sorry, Cate.

      Delete
    2. Now I want blueberry pancakes!!!!!

      Delete
  3. So I didn't know you can get frozen kale. And I've never heard of riced cauliflower. I'm going to check for both when I go shopping this week. So the rice cauliflower is just grated cauliflower? Intriguing. Now I'm craving a breakfast supper.

    My staple breakfast is oatmeal and toast -- even in the summer. But I love a drooly veggie omelet with sweet potato home fries for a treat -- especially if someone else is cooking it. And for special occasions, pancakes with heated fruit topping like blueberries. Yum. Definitely having some sort of breakfast supper tonight. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Cate mentioned pancakes, and now we're all hungry for them!

      Yes, the riced cauliflower is grated. The commercial kind is actually shaped like rice (not sure how they did that!) The small pieces steam quickly, and then I saute them to season them and finish them off.

      I hope you can find these specialty frozen veggies - they're pretty popular here!

      Delete
  4. Well now I want breakfast for lunch. This looks so yummy, Jan. I'm not sure I have a favorite breakfast, though. French toast would be at the top of this list, though. Along with biscuits, camphouse eggs and bacon. A good sausage biscuit is hard to resist. And then there are breakfast tacos/burritos. After all, we do live in Texas and there are a couple of places in our little town that have the BEST breakfast tacos. One is a little diner and the other is a food truck. Either way, you can't go wrong.

    Okay, I think it's time for me eat some lunch and ponder what I want for breakfast tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!

      We learned to love breakfast burritos when we lived in Texas. Back in 1990 (almost 30 years ago!!!) we had never heard of them. Now we make them at home on a regular basis.

      Delete
    2. And we're having breakfast for supper at our house tonight. Hubby is working late, so pancakes are on the menu - they're easy to do when he walks in the door.

      Delete
  5. I am leaving my sickbed to come visit you guys!!! Okay, I'm actually in my sick bed, with one deadline met and an unexpected one being put on hold... which means I work on it as able this week.... Oh mylanta, remember our flu conversation??? Well, getting it wasn't fun, but I'm still not going to run out for flu shots since all the people here who seem to be primarily sharing A-H3N2 were just as sick as I was and got the shot... but my heart is so aching for those who've lost their lives... the pneumonia and sepsis. I don't take flu lightly.... but I don't take breakfasts lightly either, and Jan, this looks great.

    I eat mid-morning. I get up early, and I'm not an out-of-bed eater... I need time. Which made me a great daycare provider for kids like me because I wasn't shoving food at them if the weren't hungry. An apple at 9:30 is better than even a Ruthy breakfast at 7:15 if you're not hungry at 7:15...

    Lacey has riced cauliflower here.... I tend toward shredded homefries but that's because I love my potatoes so much...

    Thank you for the great idea today. It's absolutely lovely... As are you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are lovely, too, my dear!

      I'm so glad you're feeling better, Ruthy! And stay in bed until you feel like getting back to normal. You don't want a relapse!

      And that breakfast thing. I need to eat breakfast - - I get poozlie without it. But I realized that I eat about 2 1/2 hours after I get up. Right out of bed, I need something to drink (water!), but the meal has to wait for awhile.

      Delete
  6. Jan, this breakfast looks amazing. Breakfast/brunch is my favorite with scrambled eggs or an omelet, sausage or bacon, and plenty of fresh fruit. I always eat something before I go to work, but not as soon as I'm up. I'm an early riser so plenty of time to eat before I leave for work and in the summer that's after a nice long walk. I'll have to look for riced cauliflower next time I'm at the store.

    That's what I like about fresh produce in the summer, to freeze for the winter. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Marilyn! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete