Thursday, October 26, 2017

Ruthy's Italian Wedding Soup

A crazy fun week here at Blodgett Family Farm! Pumpkin sales are dwindling as pumpkins sell out, and we're turning our hands to hauling firewood, splitting and delivering...

Okay, not ME. :)

Farmer Dave, Seth, Jon and Cody. Cody is all grown up now, and wonderful, but he was the model for Todd, the oldest son in "More Than a Promise", the sweet sensitive boy with a cautious nature... Well the real Cody is all grown up and working on the farm when he's not working his other two jobs... Hard working, kind and gentle... 

I'm so proud of him!

And as you can see, we like to put EVERYONE to work:

Princess Morgan, unloading pumpkins! Hey, two-year-olds need to earn their keep around here! :)

And The Mighty Finn helps customers fill their cars with pumpkins....



But back to soup. 

Still not much cooking time on the farm. That's okay. We're throwing things together as we can, but this week I made a pot of Italian Wedding soup... and it's amazing.

For the stock:

6 quarts of water
1/2 cup Tones Chicken base
1/4 cup Tones Beef base
2 Tablespoons Parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

For the Meatballs:

2 lbs (or more) ground round
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon Parsley
1 Tablespoon Garlic powder or granulated garlic
1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste if desired

Mix all together. Form into small meatballs. Cover bottom of large frying pan with a thin glaze of olive oil. Heat lightly. Cook meatballs over medium/low heat. When done add them to broth. Repeat until all meatballs have been cooked. Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

Peel and chop three carrots. Add to broth.
Chop one head of broccoli into little bitty pieces.  Add to broth.

Cook until broccoli and carrots are done.  May be served with cooked pasta (we do the pasta on the side so it doesn't get mushy).

Sister Shubert's rolls go great with this dish!



This is a hearty soup, delicious and soothing on cold, cold wet days. Or any day!

And I need to schedule one last trip to Abbott's Frozen Custard of Hilton before they close for the season... I didn't get there as often as I wanted... or as often as I should have, LOL! ... but if God gives me another summer, I'm making it a weekly trip! 

Unless I get busy.

Or gain a bunch of weight.

Or have to run and hang out with stinkin' cute grandgirlies and boys!

Maybe I'll just take them with me!  But in the meantime, look what's in stores RIGHT NOW!!! Nationwide! Ruthy's 20th book with Love Inspired!!! Oh, happy days are here again! And yes, of course  you should run out and buy it. Darlings, that's the whole reason I write 'em, so my friends can buy them! :) 


Award-winning, multi-published author Ruthy Logan Herne is living her dream of being a published author, having fun on the farm, mother to 6 wonderful kids with an appropriated seventh... and the grandkids are total #bonus! Ruthy loves sharing her faith and her life on the farm via facebook (so yes, go friend her!) twitter (@RuthLoganHerne) her website ruthloganherne.com 

11 comments:

  1. Ruthy, Sister Schubert's rolls go with EVERYTHING. I love those things. Love the soup, too. And there wasn't even a wedding.
    Looks like we both have holiday stories with lawmen and cute kids. Mine won't be out for another month, though. Still, it's a great minds thing. Beautiful cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I love this soup. I just love, love, love it. And Sister's rolls are such a convenience in the freezer. Missy introduced me to them, and I've loved her ever since!

      I'm in NC right now, about to go to Monuts for Donuts... It's a thing here! And then to visit with grandkids and do a great Halloween party before heading home to WNY. Congrats on your Christmas story!!!! I love having books out at Christmas, and this story... oh, gosh, it's a heartwarmer, for sure.

      SIGH..........

      Delete
  2. What a great soup for our cold, blowy day today!

    Yes, it's autumn in the West. Nearly 80° yesterday, but a cold front came through overnight. Gusty winds, and we've already hit our high of 45° for the day...at 7:00 am. It's just getting colder.

    But a fire in the stove and warm, filling soup for supper will do the trick!

    And I loved The Lawman's Yuletide Baby. Stayed up way too late one night to finish it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, Mary Connealy said the same thing, that the change in weather is upon us! Wind... and COLD!!!! I'm so glad you loved the book... you know that means the world to me! And I'm delighting myself with some Jan Drexler Amish reading right now, so the feeling is mutual!

      Delete
  3. Hey Ruthy! Did you know that today is National Pumpkin Day? At least it is in Canada. So give a pumpkin a hug today. :-) I am so craving pumpkin something -- soup, muffins, cookies, bread. I'm buying some tomorrow and baking this weekend!

    It's lovely and cool here now but sunny. Perfect put-the-garden-to-bed weather and I have shoes that let me garden for 30 min at a time. It feels good to get things done but I'm appalled at how overgrown it has gotten. Ack!

    Happy Book Release Month, Ruthy, definitely celebrate with some frozen yoghurt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that the shoes are here and working!!!!! And hey, 30 minutes at a time is a beginning, my friend. Yay for you!

      I am away from my pumpkins but I did bring a few to grandkids so I'll hug them. :) MUST HUG PUMPKINS!!!

      Delete
  4. THANK YOU!! Thank you for giving this soup idea without the frozen meatballs. I have this in a crock pot cook book and it calls for the frozen meatballs. Jan talking about how we hit our high at 7am really makes me want to go out! Not! I have been at work since 7am and some have been talking about how it was snowing! It will all be gone in a day anyways so really not a TRUE snow. The first year I was living in the hills I thought the first snow was wonderful! It was early like 5:30 and I was taking my dogs out while it was still dark. Snow coming down reflecting off the street lights. Pretty is all it says and this soup will make a GREAT first real day of snow meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I love snow.... I don't mind winter. Until mid February, and then I want to kick it to the curb... but it lingers until APRIL!!!!! The big cold Great Lakes blanket us in Arctic breezes until mid-April and even sometimes later than that... and being in the hills now, you know exactly what I mean!

      But when we get that glimmer of a day... when daffodils burst open and the tulips start to rise... ah, then I know the end is in sight and life as I know it is about to morph into farm lady extraordinaire!!!! Which might be why I like winter, LOL! Less work!

      Delete
    2. I am from the east side of SD and the weather over there last LONGER then it does here because it gets colder the snow doesn't melt and just builds up! It is so hit or miss if you have to take a trip out that way if the driving will be good or bad. This year we went to visit my family and ended up driving home in an ice storm! Yet in December on this end we went to see Christmas at the capitol about 2.5 hrs away and we had a beautiful weekend. Open water on the pond and people feeding geese! By spring I am ready for nice weather though. Then the boys aka dogs and I will walk for miles when we have time.

      Delete
  5. It was so cool here today. I would have loved some soup!

    Love those photos, Ruthy! Such cuties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my stars, we've had so much fun with little kids and crazy pumpkin sales and throngs of people... we kept everyone ALIVE, so we met our goal! :)

      Missy, you must try this sometime.

      It is so stinkin' good!

      Waving to you from NC!!!

      Delete