Friday, October 6, 2017

Quick and Easy Chicken and Dumplings


Missy Tippens

I've had a wild week. No time to cook or do much of anything. So I'm re-sharing an old post from 2013. Enjoy!


Ingredients:

3-4 Chicken breasts or a whole chicken (If you want to make this asap, pick the meat off a rotisserie chicken and use a box of chicken broth plus several cups of water).
1/2 bag Frozen biscuits

Yes, that's it for ingredients! 

First, these are the BEST frozen biscuits! I love the tea size, which is what I used in this recipe.



I used frozen biscuits because I cooks several chicken breasts and then realized I didn't have any Bisquick or frozen dumplings! So I thought I'd give it a try using frozen biscuit dough.

Cook your chicken in a big pot of water (enough that you can cook the dumplings once chicken is done). Don't boil it or it'll become tough. Keep it simmering on medium-low until done (about a half an hour).

While chicken is cooking, place half a bag (about 12 small) biscuits on a cutting board to thaw slightly (enough that you can cut them). I cut the tea biscuits in quarters.




Remove the chicken to a plate to cool. Then shred or chop
.



Keep broth simmering and add the pieces of biscuits a couple at a time. At first, they'll sink.



Then when they start to cook, they'll start floating to the top. DO NOT STIR! Resist the urge to stir or they'll tear to pieces and you'll have a cloudy pot of goo. If you must make sure none are sticking to the bottom (like I had to do), then gently stick in a spoon and give it a brief, gentle stir.



Cover and let simmer about 10 minutes. Longer if you're using bigger biscuits.



Before serving, add the shredded chicken in to reheat (again, gently so you don't destroy your dumplings). Spoon into bowls and serve. Add salt and pepper to taste. This turned out surprisingly well! I don't think that I'll make dumplings from scratch or from a baking mix again.



YUM!

7 comments:

  1. Talk about comfort food! This is a perfect dish for a cold day!

    I didn't grow up with chicken and dumplings. Since my dad was the cook in our family, my guess is that he didn't like them. ;) But I've learned to love them now.

    We're expecting rain on Sunday - this will be a perfect dish for Sunday noon... Thanks, Missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I didn't grow up with chicken and dumplings either. I think we did have them on occasion (the Bisquick type). I learned to love the dish when I moved to Georgia and started dating my husband. His grandmother made them all the time. She made the roll out and cut type dough. That's my favorite!

      Delete
  2. Ohhh.... I'm dying! We had chicken and dumplings a lot when I was a little girl (except Mama made them from scratch and THAT was a ton of work!) This recipe sounds easy and looks divine. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, I love that you've had homemade ones! My husband actually likes the light, fluffy ones best, so I usually make them from Bisquick. But I love these heavier ones!

      Delete
    2. I learned how to make them with Bisquick, too! :-) Pinned this yesterday and can't wait to try the easy version. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. I love this recipe! It's the first time I've ever had dumplings work out, and now it's my "go to".

    ReplyDelete