Tuesday, October 31, 2017

News Flash - November Arrives Tomorrow!

Spooky things are happening here at the ranch.
How did that empty canoe get in the middle of the lake?
 
Things that will make your skin crawl.
Then again, it is Halloween.

For the first time ever, we didn’t have to buy any candy to pass out. Now that we’ve gone rural, we’re pretty much guaranteed no trick-or-treaters. I can’t decide if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. I always enjoyed passing out treats, seeing the little ones in their costumes, the way their eyes light up when you drop a something in their bag/bucket.

Okay, sounds like I need to find a truck or treat to take part in.

So the big house is still a work in progress and this Texan is getting very impatient.
The flooring throughout is finally complete, including carpet.
 And it’s been fun to see some of the finishing touches.
Things like shutters.
 And the porch/patio ceilings painted.

But there’s still much to do. The biggest being sinks, kitchen/bathroom cabinets, countertops, etc. You know, those little things that make a house a home.

At any rate, the urge to nest has hit full force.

First thing on my list?
Candles.
The flicker of flame and seasonal aromas make any place seem cozy.

Eager to decorate our new abode, I finally tackled some old chairs I had picked off of my neighbor’s curb over a year ago, taking this pathetic looking castoff…
Into something fresh and useable.
 
I’ll have to show what I do with it once we move into the big house.

And shopping…
In the words of our favorite Yank, oh Mylanta.
 
Stores are brimming with fall and Christmas décor.
Any guesses what I might have purchased from this display?

Finally, when that nesting urge hits, it’s time to bake. This is usually the time of year when I make my massive batch of pumpkin bread for friends and family. But with all of my mini loaf pans and mega-size mixing bowl in storage, it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen for a while.
So, I broke things down into a batch perfect for the two regular loaf pans I had here at the camphouse.

Yum!

Now it’s your turn.
What do you do when you're struck by the urge to nest?
Candles, baking...? Or something completely different?
And the most intriguing question of all, why is that canoe empty  AND in the middle of the lake?
  


Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com  

20 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, why IS that canoe empty in the middle of the lake? Someone forgot to tie it up or...Texas ghosts at play???

    The house is looking so impressive, Mindy. Can't wait to see the finished whole. When I nest, I clean. I also do that when I'm angry or worried. My husband jokes that he should pick a fight when things get bad. He can make that joke because he's a better housekeeper than I am. ;)

    Your pumpkin bread reminds me of muffins I picked up at the greenmarket this weekend. They were called harvest muffins - pumpkin with raisins, chocolate chips and nuts. SO delicious.

    Happy last day of my favorite month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, you disappointed me. I mean, I know how the boat got there, but I expected some creative tale from a suspense writer. Work with me, woman.

      Yes, I suppose cleaning is a form of nesting. For me that usually procrastination on my writing. Although, I get some of my greatest inspiration while doing dishes or folding laundry, so that's a plus.

      My big batch of pumpkin bread I always make has raisins in it and I love them. I didn't have any on hand, though, and I wasn't about to run to town, so I settled for doing without. But it was still yummy. Its the spices that are key to me and I usually end up adding more than a recipe calls for.

      So why is October you favorite month?

      Delete
    2. So it was too early for my creative brain to have kicked in when I responded. Ghosts was the best I had. Sorry.

      October is just usually gorgeous weather here and so colorful.

      Delete
  2. Explaining the canoe is easy peasy. The dog's took it out for a paddle to mess with your brain. Clearly, you've been too busy decorating to pay them much attention so they had to take matters into their own hands...er paws.

    I tend to rearrange furniture or rooms when I get that nesting urge. Nothing like getting a whole new look without spending a penny! And I read decorating magazines and imagine what I would do if I had money. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you're talking, Kav. Although, Dixie and Maddie hardly lack for attention. And they are convinced that very worker who sets foot in the big house is there to pet them.

      Oh, I love rearranging furniture, too. Even when I was a kid, I would rearrange my room all the time. Now it's all in my head until we actually move in. Then I'm sure it'll take several tries to get things right. Perhaps you should come to Texas and help me. ;)

      Delete
    2. I never move anything!! Once I get it settled, it's like I've glued it to the floor. LOL I had a friend helping me decorate a bit recently, and it about killed me to move things out of the room! I guess I'm weird. :)

      Delete
    3. You're not weird, Missy. You just need things shaken up a little so you don't get in a rut.

      Delete
  3. The house is looking fabulous! And I understand that nesting urge. It always happens to me about a week after we've moved into a new house. I'm ready for the chaos to be OVER!

    And you've been living with the chaos for way too long!

    Your pumpkin bread recipe is a hit around here. :) I've added a mini-loaf to the goodies we distribute to our neighbors every Christmas.

    Have fun decorating that beautiful new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jan. It's the chaos. I'm longing for normalcy and, at the moment, it seems elusive. Therefore, we must nest.

      I can't wait for that day when I can finally make my annual pumpkin bread. So many new friends to give some to. However, it looks like I'll be decorating for Christmas right along with moving in.

      Delete
  4. That house is so perfectly charming, Mindy! I can't even tell you how much I love it...

    And I bet you're chomping at the bit, but it's almost done!!!

    Yippee Ki Yay!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I keep hanging out at third base, waiting to come home. And I can't wait for you to visit for some cowboy research. You'll bake me pies, I'll make you chicken fried venison... It'll be a match made in heaven. I'll even let you commandeer hubby's coffee maker. ;)

      Delete
  5. We have been trying different things. Recently we tried making our own soy candles with essential oils. Still on the experimental phase of that. My go to is baking too. We have a chest freezer now so if I wanted to I could bake up a storm and freeze, but I flip flop between making human goodies and treats for our boys (dogs). They are spoiled only because I got tired of reading labels for dog treats to make sure they didn't clash with Sparrow dogs good allergies. Needless to say my mister doesn't get as many baked goods because there is only so much time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I would love to learn to make candles. But getting the scents right is definitely key. Maybe someday.
      Baking, though.... Always fun. I'm afraid my freezer might overflow, though. Then I'd still be forced to eat it all. Never done any dog treats. Where do you find doggie recipes?

      Delete
    2. GOOGLE :) I have found a few recipes that I can interchange ingredients. I have used anything from celery to mango. It is real important when you find a recipe to make sure you are comfortable with the ingredients. There are some that call for parsley or garlic. Both of those are iffy for me so I will usually omit them. The best part of dog treats is most of them are a form of hard cookie so if you feel the dough is too wet or dry you just add something to adjust. I usually have a dog treat making day once a month that fills a couple gallon freezer bags and freeze them for the month. You can even make different shapes!

      Delete
    3. Katie, I've been wanting to make soap recently! I bought a book of recipes and keep reading blogs. Candles would be fun, too! I've also considered making bath salts for gifts. Maybe eventually!

      Delete
    4. I have done the bath salts. They are really easy and don't take much essential oils.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for the info, Katie! I'm all about easy at Christmas. :)

      Delete
  6. Mindy, I was doing some nesting today. I was at the grocery store and found some nice Thanksgiving items. I ended up buying a cute apron and Mason jars. And then later bought some fragrance for Christmas that smells like a fir tree--which is what we buy. I also loaded up on scented hand soap this week--fall and winter and holiday fragrances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, you sound like me. I ordered candles and hand soap from Bath and Body Works when they were on sale a couple of weeks ago. Oh, and some autumn and winter scented wallflowers. I just love those scents.

      Delete
    2. Yep, Bath and Body Works is my go-to also. :)

      Delete