Thursday, October 5, 2017

Apple Strudel, A Ruthy Favorite!

Well, Ruthy found herself down with the stomach bug this week, so we're re-posting a wonderfully easy and impress-your-friends type recipe for today.... While Ruthy recovers! 

And when she recovers fully, she's going to make one of these delicious strudels and possibly eat the whole thing. 

So there! :)

Good morning, friends!

I've got my days of the weeks a little confounded here, and almost forgot this was Thursday... and yet, it is!

I've been practicing making strudels (A rolled pastry filled with sweet or savory filling that came to us from Austria and other European countries) using puff pastry. A purist would say that phyllo (fillo) dough is more authentic for strudel, and while that might be true, we like the puff pastry results better. The puff pastry holds together better while using less butter, and it's moister than Fillo dough....

I still use Fillo dough for baklava, but for strudels, I buy the Puff Pastry when it's on sale and keep a few boxes in the freezer. They thaw quickly and I can take a sheet of the dough (two sheets per pack) lay it out, thin it with a few swipes of the rolling pin and lay it on a buttered cookie sheet, ready to fill. Fillings can be store-bought (Poppy seed, lemon, fruit pie filling) but I like to make my own when time allows.

For Christmas I made the apple nut strudel I posted in September RECIPE HERE  but I wanted to try a fruit filling, too. I had a bin of apples that needed some love so I grabbed two large Crispins, peeled and cored them, then diced them. I put them into a smallish saucepan, added 1/4 cup water, covered them and steamed them on medium heat until soft.

While they're steaming (it only takes a few minutes once they get hot) I mixed 1/4 cup flour with 3/4 cup sugar.   Add in 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg.  Mix dry ingredients together. 

Stir into hot, softened apples. 

Add 1 tablespoon butter.

If mix is too thick, add a splash of water (probably another 1/4 cup)

Turn down heat and stir gently. Mixture should form a thick apple pie filling, and it takes less than ten minutes to make it.



Spread a thick layer of filling over the middle third of your thinned puff pastry on the cookie sheet. Fold one side up and over. Repeat with second side. Score the top by making half a dozen diagonal slashes with sharp knife so steam escapes.



Brush with two tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. (Mix one tablespoon of sugar with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to make cinnamon sugar).




Bake at 400° for about 15-20 minutes. Pastry is done when it puffs up, turns golden brown and appears "dry". Remove from oven and let sit, then drizzle with glaze below:

Vanilla glaze:

2 Tbsp. soft butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Add enough milk (not much!!!) to mix with whisk.... Drizzle over strudel.




And this is what they look like with drizzled glaze on a Christmas platter! Needless to say they were enjoyed by all!



Total prep time for this is about twenty minutes (and that made two strudels) including peeling and chopping apples and thinning the pastry dough by rolling it into a bigger rectangle.

I did notice the apple filling made the puff pastry "spread" a little more. The dryer nut filling kept a classic rectangle shape... but the apple pie filling spread into a more oblong shape. But it was filled with delicious apple-y goodness, so we didn't care!

(I removed all the fun Christmas pics from this post because it's OCTOBER now... but gosh, this is good any time of year, my friends!)

When Ruthy is NOT SICK, she's writing amazingly delightful stories from her ivory tower in Western New York... that looks like a pumpkin farm! (NO KIDDING!!!) Find her and friend her on facebook, visit her website and hang out with her on Twitter @ruthloganherne... she loves to play and pray with new friends!

10 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that you are sick! :-( Praying you feel better soon and yes, you will then definitely deserve your very own apple strudel all to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate being sick... I am a WHINER. Sad, but true. But I love sympathy, my friend, so thank you!!!!! :)

      Delete
  2. So sorry you've been hit with the stomach bug! This time of year is too busy for you to be sick!

    I printed out this recipe last Christmas, thinking it would be a great Christmas morning treat - but then others in the family volunteered to take care of breakfast.

    And I will not say no to volunteers!!!

    But I kept the recipe, and sometime I'm going to try it. :) Maybe for our Christmas brunch at church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, the nut version became our family favorite, a mix of nuts and sugar layered in... Oh my stars, it was like the most delicious, fancy strudel EVER. SIGH.... Must make strudel!!!!

      I love that this is easy. And of course we could use a prepared filling, I'm going to experiment with canning my own fillings and see if that works so that folks can be prepared ahead. Freezing them doesn't work well, they get runny... and you know I don't want runny fillings! :)

      Delete
  3. Awe sorry to hear you sick . Hope you feel better . That recipe look good !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, thank you! I'm better now. And I love feeling better!!!!

      Delete
  4. Sure hope you're on the mend, Ruthy. Wish I could bring you some chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the sweetest thing! Mending now, and ready to take the pumpkin and writing world by storm. :)

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear Ruthy was down with the stomach bug. Not fun when their farm is so busy this time of the year. Prayers for a healing touch.

    I must make this apple strudel, since I have apples directly from a hometown orchard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, I think you'll love this. I know we did! And I'm feeling better now, and cheering for that! YAY!!!!! Pumpkins: HERE I COME!!!!

      Delete