Wednesday, October 25, 2017

A Slice of Brooklyn Life - Saturday Greenmarket

Yesterday Mindy asked, "As we close in on the end of October, what are you doing?"

I'd love to say enjoying autumn, but we've been having another burst of summer like weather (supposedly going to change tonight).

What that means is that I have a bit of local flavor to share with you - the supreme abundance of our market. I took my phone shopping with me and have some great photos to share. Don't they just make you want to cook something wonderful?

Still selling summer corn.

Apples are everywhere!

Loving some beets! They are gigantic.

For Missy and Mindy and all the Belles - OKRA!

I love gourds.

Colorful cauliflower.


Green beans, wax beans, purple beans?

Pretty radishes




Can you see that WALL of carrots and beets?


Sun shining on the kale.

More colorful kale
A mountain of green beans for the picking.
SO.MANY.APPLES!

These were a new apple to me. They are called Snap Dragon and are supposedly New York's answer to Honey Crisp. I loved the small sign on the side that explained that the brown spots were caused by a hail storm back in May!



My favorite stop is always the baked goods. The apple walnut muffins are SO amazing. I must find a recipe.
 
Apple cider donuts - always a good way to start a Saturday!










Anyone have a good apple walnut muffin recipe?


10 comments:

  1. Wow! Such beautiful bounty, Mary Cate. Very colorful. That kale looks like a floral display. I'd go nuts in a place like that. However, like you I'd be stopped dead in my tracks by the baked goods. Yum!

    Sorry, no recipe to share, so I'll simply have to drool over that pic you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vow to avoid - and then they have something new. *sigh*

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. I would think I had died and gone to heaven!! That was AMAZING!!

    How close do you live to this place, Mary Cate? Is it open every day or just weekends?? I would live there! LOL

    That's my dream, you know. My dream life would have me walking to a market nearby and picking up just what I need for our meals that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about a ten minute walk from my house, Missy.

      This one is every Saturday. We have a smaller one even closer on Sunday. They rotate locations throughout the city so there is usually one fairly near wherever you are.

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful market! The bounty is amazing, and so colorful. I'm sure that market is packed every day that they're open. But I know I'd be tempted to get some of everything - how do you keep from filling your house with such goodness?

    Missy said her dream would be walking to a market like this - my dream would be to have a garden producing these goodies in the back yard. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I end up buying way too much usually. It IS packed and around 9 on Saturday mornings it's equally packed with dogs and humans because the off leash time in the adjacent park ends at 9 so everyone heads over to shop.

      Delete
  4. Well this has been educational. I now know what okra looks like and I had no idea that cauliflower came in colours! Seriously???? How'd they do that? And I'd take a detour around the baked goods as well -- sounds like I'd meet y'all there. Apple baked anything is a happy thought. I used to have a really good apple muffin recipe not sure if it's still kicking around though. I'll have to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the purple cauliflower gorgeous? It's almost too pretty to eat. I'd love to see the recipe if you find it. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. As Jan said a garden would be even better, but this would make me happy! Look at how big those radishes are! Give me a bowl of Hidden Valley sour cream ranch dip and a plate of those and I would be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I've learned to love the watermelon radishes and they are HUGE - the size of turnips.

      Delete