Friday, September 15, 2017

What to Do While Preparing for a Storm?

Missy Tippens

With Tropical Storm Irma approaching this past weekend, I decided to try to use up any leftovers and produce in the refrigerator since the power was likely to go out. I had a large batch of leftover spaghetti noodles and two bundles of asparagus.



Thankfully, I also had plenty of canned tomatoes in the pantry. Thus, I made one of my favorite pasta dishes. I've probably shared some version of this before because I used to eat it for lunch quite often.


Heat some oil in a skillet. Add some chopped garlic, then add the chopped asparagus. Cook for a couple of minutes. Then add canned diced tomatoes.


I also like to add some olives or capers. This time, I added chopped kalamata olives. It adds nice flavor and saltiness that I so love! Also, to make the sauce a bit saucier, I poured in some of the olive juice. If you don't want something quite that salty, you could add pasta water (unless, of course, you're using leftover noodles like I was). :)


Toss in the noodles and let them heat through. And of course, top with parmesan cheese!! If you're part of the Missy Tippens School of Thought on Cooking, that means LOTS of it. Ha ha!

What do you like to make when you're trying to clean out the refrigerator?

P.S. 
We weathered the storm well. Lost power for about 16 hours. Lots of yard debris but no trees down, thank the Lord. We all need to be praying for and doing what we can to help those hardest hit by Irma and Harvey. One organization that I know of that gets top ratings is the United Methodist Committee on Relief. I hope you'll check it out.

www.missytippens.com

6 comments:

  1. Missy, this looks delicious. I love olives added to pasta or pizza. Unfortunately all that salt does not love me so I have to be judicious.

    I'm so glad you weren't badly affected by Irma, but power out for that long sounds bad enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, all that salt makes me swell. So I just have to drink a lot when I eat them. :)

      Delete
  2. Missy, I'm glad you guys escaped significant damage... and so many people are reeling from those combined storms of Harvey and Stinkin' Irma, that my heart just aches for them.... Thank you for the tip on the United Methodist Relief Fund. I tend to find a local church that's hands on and we donate right to them. I figure that local ministers and priests know who needs an extra bit of quick change in their pockets.... But it's so nice to know this exists.

    And the pasta's nice too!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Ruthy, local help is great, too! It's especially nice if you know someone or have a connection in the disaster area.

      What I really like about UMCOR is that 100% of the donations given go straight to give aid. (none goes toward administration.)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad the hurricane didn't get you all too badly. And delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete