Monday, September 11, 2017

Parchment Paper Packets

Jan here, with a quick lunch idea.

This isn't original with me, but it's something I've recently discovered, and it has added to the variety of my quick lunches.
Writers work under time crunches, and I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm on a roll and my characters are speaking to me, I forget that I need things like...oh...healthy food. I'm more likely to grab a peanut butter fold-over than a healthy lunch on days like that!
So I'm learning to plan and prep ahead!

Here’s my new favorite - 

Parchment Paper Pockets (Jan's Version):




Parchment paper is wonderful. It's inexpensive, easy to use, and works perfectly for this application.

Start by tearing off enough parchment paper from your roll to make a square. You can leave it as a square, but I like to cut it into this heart shape. The curved edges are easier to seal - you’ll see what I mean in a few minutes.



By the way, I usually make two of these at a time, or even three or four. As long as I’m cutting up the veggies, I might as well, right? They freeze easily, and cook from frozen, so I can grab one out of the freezer when I want a last minute quick lunch!

Anyway, now that you have your parchment paper ready, it’s time to start building your lunch.

First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Start with a protein. I used frozen Tilapia here, and salmon in my next one, and you can also use chicken, or beef. Your protein can be frozen or thawed - it doesn’t matter.
For a vegetarian version, you could use cooked beans such as Great Northerns or Garbanzos.
The main thing to remember is that you want the meat to cook thoroughly, so use thin fillets, or cut thin strips.



The next thing to add are your healthy carbs. Some cooked rice or quinoa goes well. Or some diced potatoes, either regular or sweet potatoes. For this Tilapia version, I didn’t have any healthy carbs on hand, so I added some whole grain crackers to my meal at lunch time.

Now add some non-starchy veggies. We have a lot of zucchini right now, so I diced some up. I also added some broccoli to my Tilapia version. And I love greens, so I added frozen spinach to my salmon packet.

When adding your veggies and carbs, you want to keep the total volume to about 2 cups. You also want to make sure that you cut/dice your ingredients to a uniform size - I chop mine in about 1/2” cubes.



Now it’s time for seasonings! I used diced onions and a crushed garlic clove, along with some Mrs. Dash in my Tilapia version. It needed more salt, so I added that after cooking. And since I wanted my salmon version to be richer, I added a teaspoon of butter. You can add whatever seasonings you want, and add them to taste. Experiment!



Finally, we need liquid. The food is going to steam inside the packet, and it won’t steam without liquid. If you’ve used frozen proteins and veggies, there is moisture already, and you shouldn’t need to add more. But if all of your ingredients are fresh, add a sprinkle of water or a dash of broth. Not too much, though, or you’ll end up with soup. Don’t ask me how I know!

The salmon version, waiting for me to add a pat of
butter on top.

 The last step is to crimp the edges of your packet to seal it. I didn’t think this would work when I first heard of it, but it does! Fold the top of the packet over until the edges meet (you may need to do some adjusting with your filling), then, starting at the top of the heart, fold about a quarter inch over, then over again. Move a bit to your right, and repeat. Continue folding and crimping the edge together until you get to the bottom of the heart. Fold the little tail under the packet, and you’re done.



Put your packet on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, if your ingredients are fresh, or 30 minutes if they’re frozen.

Once your lunch is in the oven, the additional packets you put together can go in the freezer. Put them in freezer bags or freezer containers, and be sure to label them!
When you're ready to cook these frozen packets, just take them out of the freezer and stick them in the oven - no thawing necessary! Be sure to cook them for the longer 30 minute time.

Be sure to enclose your packet in a freezer bag or other
container to prevent freezer burn!

And when the time is up, your lunch is ready! Open the packet carefully - steam can be wicked hot - and either enjoy it straight from the packet, or transfer your lunch to a plate.

Tilapia, zucchini, broccoli, onion, garlic, Mrs. Dash


 
Salmon, zucchini, spinach, onion, garlic, salt, pepper
 and one teaspoon butter

One of the things I love about these packets is that they are so versatile! Here are some ideas for fillings that I thought of:

Ground beef (precooked), diced potatoes, diced onions, oregano, basil, thyme and a couple tablespoons of beef broth with 1/2 teaspoon of flour whisked in. Salt & pepper to taste.

Ground beef (precooked), rice (precooked), diced tomatoes, diced onions, diced green peppers, taco seasoning. You could eat this one wrapped in a tortilla.

Chicken breast (sliced thin), brown rice (precooked), frozen chopped spinach, parmesan cheese, garlic, oregano, basil, salt & pepper to taste.

Lean steak (cut into thin strips), diced sweet potatoes, frozen chopped spinach, powdered cumin, salt & pepper to taste.

Can you think of any other combinations you might try?


And be sure to watch for this two-in-one deal in your local store, or order on Amazon



This is the re-release of my first book, and I'm so happy it's available in book form again! If you've read "An Amish Courtship," then you'll be familiar with some of the characters in this book.

Here's a short description: A criminal's trail has brought FBI informant Bram Lapp to Ellie Miller's Indiana community. Now he's posing as the kind of man he once hoped to be—someone who might be worthy of Ellie. Because no matter how much she claims she doesn't want a second chance at love, he knows he's found the home they were meant to share.









Jan Drexler loves her family, her home, cooking and just about anything made by hand. But she loves her Lord most of all.

Stop by Jan's website to learn more about her books: www.JanDrexler.com








7 comments:

  1. I've never heard of paper packets but how cool is this??? I wonder if you could make a breakfast version? Scrambled tofu and lots of veggies. I'd cube up a tofu burger for the protein but I like the bean idea too. And I can't believe that the edges will stay crimped! This would be a great idea for my daughter now that she's back at uni and up to her eyeballs in assignments and readings. I'm sensing a mother/daughter bonding afternoon where we make up some of these and freeze them for those crazy busy days that are sure to come. Thanks, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, that's a great idea to make a bunch together and freeze them or your daughter!

      I think doing one with breakfast would be good too! Maybe potato based, even. Or with BACON. ;) (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) haha

      Delete
    2. I love the image of you and your daughter making a bunch of these, Kav. Somewhere today I saw a recipe for a vegan Shepherd's Pie. I wonder if something like that would work in this.

      Delete
  2. Oh, healthy lunches would be so much easier if I worked from home. I'm trying to figure out something like this that I can make and bring to school. I suppose I could pre-cook and then just reheat them in the microwave.

    I only had tilapia once and although I love fish, I wasn't a fan. Fenway, however, LOVES tilapia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tilapia. Love mild, white fish. My husband makes fun of me because I only like fish that's not fishy. And French fries that aren't too potatoey. :)

      Delete
  3. Jan, what a great idea! I usually think of these as fancy. But you made it seem very do-able! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parchment paper just makes it sound fancy, doesn't it, Missy?

      Delete