Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Eating Simply and Biodynamic Farming

As I slowly eat my way back to a normal diet, I've been eating very simply. The advantage of that is truly appreciating the favors of fresh food simply cooked.

I've become a big fan of Attitude Fraiche. Their salad mixes and  carrots are so fresh and delicious.



So for this meal I simply cooked some carrots, some French green beans and organic chicken. (I'm not usually a fan of chicken, but this was very good.)



Speaking of simple foods...

Reading Ruthy's post last week about farming reminded me of a segment I saw on the Today Show. Maria Shriver was visiting a biodynamic farm in Malibu. I fell in love.

They just published a new cookbook and the opening refers to the deep need society has to reconnect with nature. They refer to "a holistic and harmonious lifestyle" that "is at the heart of One Gun Ranch."

You can watch the Today Show episode here.





The LA Times also did an article on them. One Gun Ranch.

I am so curious about the idea of super soils making the food taste different. I really wish I could taste their produce!

Have you ever noticed a difference in the taste of your food based on the source? I'm spoiled in that I have easy access to fresh fruits and vegetables year round, but the produce they are showing in the video looks even more fresh. I also love that they are giving children a chance to experience the natural life.


2 comments:

  1. Whenever I hear about a farm like One Gun Ranch, and the quest people have for eating more simply and less processed foods, I'm reminded that what we're doing is heading backwards. Years ago - 75? 100? - all gardens and farms were raising their crops in ways that relied on the natural rhythm of the year and the natural replenishing of the soil. Even in the Old Testament, Israel was commanded to let their fields lie fallow one year out of seven, and wise farmers know how that practice leads to better, healthier crops.

    Interesting! Maybe ideas and books like this one will spark another backyard gardening movement like the Victory Gardens. :)

    And I think its time to start growing my own lettuce and salad greens...I have a deck with a southern exposure. All I need is a container!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Cate, I look forward to watching the piece! I really love produce from Sprouts. I don't know what's different, but it all seems fresher and better to me.

    ReplyDelete