Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Preparing for Harvey

Mindy here, and by the time you read this we will likely still be dealing with the remnants of Hurricane Harvey. You see, even though our ranch is located 100 miles from the coast, this storm is expected to impact a huge portion of southeast Texas—including us—with tropical storm force winds and upwards of 20 inches of rain.

So what does one do to prepare for a hurricane?

Well, that depends. Since we live in a rural area, ranchers are scrambling to bring in their hay before the rains fall. Grocery stores are frantically trying to keep up with the demand for water and bread. Schools, which are already in session, are evaluating the forecast to determine when/if they need to call of classes.

Even the animals know when to get ready.

These deer are hunkered down.
See them tucked in the thicket?

And the hummingbirds can’t seem to get enough nectar.
 

We typically have half this many at one time, and though it’s getting close to migration, I suspect their instincts are telling them to get ready.
Then there’s us. Since we are rural, we have a well for water. That means we have a pump. If the electricity goes out, so does the pump and we have no water. So we’ve set out buckets to catch the rain water for things such as doing dishes (after boiling, of course) and flushing toilets. 
Batteries are always important for things like flashlights and portable radios.

Plenty of drinking water.
Ice to keep refrigerated items cold if we lose power.
We moved the grill to the front porch so we don’t have to trek out in the rain to cook whatever might potentially thaw after a day or two without power.

As well as a gas burner for things like heating water and cooking.

Now that we are ready, we wait under ominous skies. And pray.
 
 


UPDATE: Saturday morning. Who would have guessed that a tropical depression meandering around the Yucatan Peninsula a week ago not only reorganized, but was able to become a Category 4 hurricane? Harvey’s outer bands began to impact us yesterday afternoon. Overnight, we were inundated with wind and rain.


And we're nearly 150 miles from where the storm made landfall!
We awoke to a little over 6 inches of rain which, considering we haven’t had any measurable rain in over a month and were very dry, is good.

This was the pond in front of our camphouse Thursday.

See how low that water is. Almost dry under the bridge.

This is what it looks like this morning.

The concern is over what is yet to come the next several days. They’re saying we may not be free of this storm until Wednesday or Thursday.

Oh, but we still have power. Yay!

And the hummingbirds… I love watching these little creatures. Whenever there’s a lull in the rain, they come out to replenish.

Now it’s your turn. Have you ever been through a hurricane or other natural disaster? What did you do to prepare?



Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

13 comments:

  1. Like you, I grew up in Michigan, so we were always prepared for a huge snow storm. The idea of running to the store at the last minute to stock up on bread and milk was (and is) foreign to me. My husband and I run still run our household the same way. We're prepared to live for several weeks without electricity or being able to run out to the store.

    Of course, that means we will live with an EXTREMELY limited menu...mostly beef from our rapidly thawing freezer! And then the non-perishables. But that's the way you deal with an emergency, right? And of course, we don't forget that we have neighbors - if the worst happened (storm or whatever), we would have an open door policy for those who live around us.

    But the events in Texas this week are so sad. The areas that seem to be hit the hardest with flooding are the most populated, and the folks there have no choice but to wait it out. I can't even imagine the immediate needs of food, water, etc., and the longer this disaster lasts, the more critical the needs will be.

    I'm joining in the prayers from around the country and the world that the needs will be met, and that our country can band together to stand in the gap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, a friend of ours who lives near us had hip replacement surgery last week and is staying with her daughter while she goes through rehab. Her daughter lives in one of Houston's many suburbs. Last night, they had to evacuate, my friend included. I saw pictures of her grandsons standing in chest deep water (their young teens) as they made their way out. I can imagine what Barbara had endure trying to get through the water, then into a boat, then a monster truck before being dropped from at a grocery store. Her house is fine here and they want to come out here, but the can't get out of Houston because of all the water. It's just insane.

      Our camphouse is about a quarter mile from the interstate. On the other side of the interstate is a little, tiny town that is also under water while we're high and try. Just a couple of hours ago we saw them doing a rescue over there. Just breaks my heart. I've never seen anything like this up close and personal before. And while the media's focus is on Houston, and understandably so, it's huge, there are a lot of rural areas affected too, so the damage is much more widespread than folks around the country realize.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you guys are safe and dry! My friends in Houston are really struggling. My brother in law and his family live in San Antonio, and they're well but doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for your Houston friends, MJ. Those people are really struggling. Even today, they're still getting rain. Harvey refuses to go away.

      Delete
  3. Mindy, as you know from my many texts checking in on you (yes, I'm a worrywart :) ) I'm still praying. I'm so glad you've kept power. That makes a huge difference!

    We're supposed to get a little of the rain later this week. Hopefully it'll be gone from your area by then.

    The only things we usually have to prepare for here are snow and ice storms. Of course tornados hit suddenly. And so do flash floods. So no time to prep there. We also once had a terrible tropical storm--Opal. It hit at night while my son was really sick with croup and having trouble breathing. Scariest night of my life, I think. Roads were all blocked by trees the next day. We couldn't get to the doctor (which was closed due to no power). Ended up calling a friend who was a pediatrician who called in an RX at the only drugstore we could find open. It's such a terrible, helpless feeling. I'm praying like crazy for all of you in the path of Harvey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I can't imagine trying to deal with a sick child in the midst of something so chaotic. But I'm sure there are some doing that right now.

      Delete
  4. I've been thinking about you, Mindy! Watching the coverage on television and...don't have words. We had flooding in this area in the spring and a friend from church lost pretty much everything. But it was very localized -- not as widespread as what you are experiencing. Still, the people who were affected by the flooding still don't have their lives back. Rebuilding -- getting rid of all the damaged property, waiting on government/insurance money -- it's been really difficult. I can't imagine navigating all that on the scale of a Houston suburb! But it is heartening to see how many people are helping out.

    I'm afraid I wouldn't last very long in the aftermath of a natural disaster. I usually only have enough food in the house for a week and that's largely because I can't cart a ton of stuff home on the bus so I do my groceries bit by bit. I'd be the neighbour knocking on Jan's door! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, you'd be surprised what you can do when you're forced to. And you're a mom. Even though your daughter is grown, I have no doubt you'd do whatever needed to take care of/protect her and yourself.

      But, oh, the rebuilding is going to be tough on so many. They will need our ongoing prayers.

      Delete
  5. We have been avoiding calling our customers from TX or at least I have until we find out what area codes have been effected. Our biggest worry would be a snow storm! Living in an apt I worry about not having power, but we live in a large complex so I am sure we would all make it work. We have a propane stove we use for camping so that would give us the ability to cook still and we keep lots of bottled water on hand for 2 people and 2 dogs. As far as food we don't have as much as Jan due to limited storage, but I would say we could get by a week or two without needing to leave. Now my sanity would be a different story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sure, Katie, bring up the sanity aspect. ;) I'm currently living in what is essentially a one-room house with my husband and 18 yo son. Oy! But cooking is my therapy. Let me tell you, these guys have eaten well. Probably too well, because instead of rushing to throw something together, I had plenty of time linger in the kitchen. And it's all comfort food. Chicken soup, beef stew, banana nut bread, fresh white bread... We're going to come out of this needing bigger clothes!

      Delete
  6. Oh, my goodness, Mindy. The pictures out of Texas are just heartbreaking. I've got you all in my prayers.

    Yes, I lived through Hurricane Sandy. We were lucky to be on the higher slope in town, so no damage, but my school took in hundreds of children whose schools and homes were damaged like what we're seeing here.

    Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean SuperStrorm Sandy, Mary Cate? That was crazy. Hurricane and snow storm all rolled into one. I remember that. It must have been heartbreaking to see those poor kids.

      Delete