Thursday, August 24, 2017

Fried Green Tomatoes

I am not a Southern Belle.

I think you all know that.

I think you realize that anyone who calls herself "The Yank" and loves on the New York Yankees and casseroles and pots of stew and bread pudding probably hails from above the Mason/Dixon line.

And did you know that the Mason/Dixon line is the border of Pennsylvania and Maryland? I remember thinking it must be way lower than that when I was young and fleet of foot.

But no, Maryland and Pennsylvania had a dispute (and dragged poor West Virginia and Delaware into it) and in the end, the Mason and Dixon line (named for the surveyors) became a boundary that burned its place in history.

Be that as it may, you do not have to be Southern to fry green tomatoes, and that's all I'm sayin' 'bout that.

There are as many recipes/ways of doing this as there are fish in the sea, so be inventive, but this one came out great:



Green tomato slices, about 1/4" thick

Mix together

Pancake flour mix (we used a buckwheat mix but any mix will do)
Seasoned Salt
Parmesan Cheese


Olive oil for frying.

Heat oil in large, flat-bottomed skilled until hot.

Season pancake flour with seasoned salt and Parmesan cheese.. and you can get inventive here, this just gave us a nice, not-too-spicy, not bland mix. I don't measure, I tossed about a cup of pancake mix into the bowl and then sprinkled the seasoning and the cheese over it, and mixed....



Dredge tomato slices in the mix. Fry over medium/high heat. Turn once when dark golden on bottom side. Finish frying. Drain on paper towels.


I love these.

Not everyone agrees.

I don't care because it makes me SO HAPPY to eat them!

And here on the farm we're gearing up for fall fun.... We've built displays for 750 chrysanthemums, 1000's of pumpkins, and a similar amount of corn stalks, gourds, Indian corn (ornamental corn if you prefer that term) and broom corn....



Veggies are in full swing!




And everyone is crazy busy.

COMING ATTRACTIONS!!!! Won't these gorgeous pumpkins make great harvest displays?

But now and again I sneak off and write sweet stories of other folks and their lives.

Stories where I can FIX EVERYTHING because I'm the author.



In real life, it's not that easy.

In real life, there is one author.

God.

And He guides and leads and sometimes laughs, I'm sure.



But it's all good because we're seizing each day with gusto.

(Even when I'm hiding away!)

So how about you? Are you a green tomato lover?

And if not... well, that's okay. Because I don't like okra or grits one bit, so we can talk about other things.

Like cute kids.

Gardens.

Faith.

Family.

And of course, you.... Friends!

Ruthy Logan Herne loves God, her family, her country, chocolate, kids, dogs, almost any baby animal with a few notable exceptions and she loves writing great stories with unforgettable characters. You can find her at ruthloganherne.com or www.seekerville.blogspot.com or over at Petticoats and Pistols.com...

Friend her on facebook or follow her on twitter @ruthloganherne

She loves getting to know new people!




10 comments:

  1. I've never had fried green tomatoes, except for one bite. Soon after that movie came out, I said, "I can do this." So I got a green tomato from the garden, sliced it, breaded it (plain flour), and fried it in a bit of Crisco.

    One bite, and the rest got thrown away.

    But look at this! Your version uses pancake mix! And seasonings! I might have to try making it again.

    I love your farm stand pictures! Everything looks so beautiful, green, and lovely. If I lived near you, I'd be over every week to do my produce shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you lived near me, we'd spend so much time TALKING that we'd never get books done! :)

      A lot of folks use cornmeal, and I've done that, too... with cajun seasoning and salt, with or without Parmesan.

      They're a funny consistency, like breaded eggplant, but I like that consistency.

      Unlike TOFU which I do not like....

      Tastes are funny things, aren't they????

      Delete
  2. I've never had fried green tomatoes either. I only have one recipe that requires green tomatoes and that's for vegetarian mincemeat. Yum.

    You farm pics are gorgeous. Our weather has finally cooled down and I'm starting to feel fallish and eager to hit a farmer's market near me. I can't imagine what 750 potted mums would look! You have endless energy, Ruthy, I need to borrow some.

    Congrats on the new release -- love the cover. Love Inspired does such a wonderful job with their books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I love, love, love this story... and the next one, the final Grace Haven book. They're just beautiful and God bless Melissa Endlich for her constant advice and guidance when we work together. We make a great team.

      And I'm loving the cooler weather, too! You know I'm no sun-bunny. I'm a sweater weather person!

      Delete
  3. Your cover almost....almost has me ready for snow! And Christmas. Love that cover.

    Green tomatoes I have never had. Stupid question, but are they a different kind? Or just Fried unripe tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not a different kind, just unripe... It's like when Ma Ingalls used sliced green pumpkin to make a pie for Pa and he thought it was apple... Consistency is an amazing thing! :)

      Delete
  4. Ruthy, I LOVE fried green tomatoes and will have to try your version someday! I did a quick search and don't see any posts by me of making them. I thought I had! I'll have to do my Belle version sometime. They would also have a little cornmeal mixed in. :)

    Love the farm photos! I so wish I could be there to see it in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I've always done them with cornmeal and I like them that way... but this way is really good, too.

      I had the buckwheat mix in the cupboard, and it hadn't been invaded by gray moths yet... (SIGH....) so I tried it and they were really good.

      Delete
  5. I am rolling around on the floor in a fit of jealousy. Look at all your produce and flowers and gourds and pumpkins!!!!!!!!!! There are not enough exclamation marks in the world for me to express how much I love the fruit of all your hard work- especially that book. How pretty! And babies... I love stories with babies.

    ReplyDelete