Thursday, April 20, 2017

Make Ahead Meal Ideas with Lacey Blodgett

Spring has arrived.

Spring is different here. It means that planting and tilling and planning and organizing and equipment problems and time all pile on because to everything there is a season...

And when spring comes around, it's all hands on deck.

Seth and Lacey both work and they also are track-and-field and cross-country officials. That means that 2 or 3 days/week during April and May they're officiating at a meet either for the high schools or the local colleges and universities, including big invitationals. And did I mention they have three kids, 8, 6 and 2?

So Lacey has become that paragon of women who preps meals ahead of time and freezes them.



A cheesy ravioli bake: (Lots of recipes, here's an easy one!) 


Shredded, seasoned, cooked chicken for Tex-Mex dishes with canned black beans and enchilada sauce:



Chicken, Bacon and Ranch casserole: RECIPE HERE! And we use chicken breasts, not thighs.... 





Wrapped for the freezer!




Lacey does each casserole to feed "4" which means "2" because normal people eat... and this way there are some leftovers. And only one of the three kids will eat these... because they're kids. 

And as Lacey told me in a meme: "You don't hear lion cubs whining and saying "Ugh! This gazelle is too stringy! Can I have something else?????"

But it seems our human varieties are different! 

Within a couple of hours she had these all done, wrapped, labeled and ready to freeze... and this will make the next 3-4 weeks, on track-and-field nights, so much easier.... because busy working moms don't want to come home at 7:30 PM and cook....

I hope you had a great Easter and a wonderful time with faith and family! 

Here at the farm we're starting seeds at the house for later planting, we're loving warmer temps and there are so many seeds to plant... but we're excited about the thought of tens of thousands of pumpkin plants... either excited or crazy!

Sending you blessings as you jump into whatever spring brings your way, and if you an make it easier by prepping ahead? Go for it!

Multi-published author Ruth Logan Herne is so excited to have this sweet story releasing this week from Love Inspired!


She's living her dream from her farm in upstate New York and loves to chat with readers, cooks, writers and most anyone! Friend her on facebook, e-mail her at loganherne@gmail.com, visit her website ruthloganherne.com or on Twitter @RuthLoganHerne 

7 comments:

  1. I love this, Ruthy. Our youngest daughter has starting prepping meals. She and her husband both teach, so there's never enough time. Will have to share this post with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I used to do some of this when the kids were home, but I've gotten out of the habit... and seeing Lacey do it made me remember how nice it was to grab a meal out of the freezer and bake it!

      Instant happiness!!!!

      Delete
  2. I used to prep meals ahead of time, back when my children were Lacey's kids' ages. What a life-saver!

    I need to get back to doing it. Not that I'm so busy these days with only three of us at home (and that college-boy absent most evenings), but I tend to get side-tracked. If I don't put supper in the crock pot or have a solid, less-than-thirty-minutes meal planned, we end up not eating too well.

    Instead, I've spent my day in the middle of a Civil War battle, or planting crops on an Ohio hillside, or dreaming about the boy who lives across the road. And as much as I enjoy spending my time inside my characters' heads, that doesn't get supper on the table. ;)

    So I'm off to peruse the recipes you shared. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, that's it exactly! I'd rather write. I'd rather write than do a lot of things (include cleaning on that list, please) but I do need to clean... and we do like to eat! :)

      This is the truth of the matter!!!!

      Delete
  3. This is so smart! I'm impressed. I've never been organized enough to stock up like that. But I did once go to a place where you could go in and assemble meals and purchase them to put in your freezer. I can't remember the name of that place, but it was cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, in 3 hours she had like 12 meals done. She used the shredded chicken in four of them, and then chicken chopped in the chicken pot pies... so that was quick and easy because one meat stretched across a whole lot of dishes!

      And then ground beef for the enchiladas and chimmiechangas (I do not even know if that's how say/spell that!!!)

      She'd shopped that morning, had everything ready to go, and it was so fun to see her in action!!!

      Delete
  4. Even as a single like to have meals ahead in the freezer for busy weeks with work and activities. Some great suggestions here. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete