Saturday, April 1, 2017

Key Lime-alade rolls for spring!


Hello, everybody! Mary Jane here and I have a great recipe for spring! Warm, sweet, and a little bit sour-- perfect!
First, isn't this the most beautiful rainbow? We saw it when we were working the Cub Scout fundraiser. The goal was to sell 20 bags of coffee or raise $125. We'd never sold anything before, so we Googled. Apparently, the first rule of marketing is to prove to your customers that your product has value. 
Hmmmm. How did we do that? We rented a coffee dispenser, brewed five gallons of coffee, and stood outside Walmart giving out free samples. (And cookies. Everyone loves cookies.) You know, a lot of people can't drink or don't want to drink coffee. But they would donate. 
Also, I paid my older kids to entertain us with some lively sea shanties, hymns, and folk songs. Probably half the money we made was from their playing but since busking is illegal in our town, I made sure to let people know they were supporting the Boy Scouts. Total raised? Over $2,000! So proud of all my kids pulling together and getting the job done. :)
 Now, for our spring recipe! We've made this lime "marmalade" before when Key limes are in season and love it as a glaze on cookies and cakes. This time, we made some sweet rolls with 2 tsp of lime zest, and added the glaze. PERFECT. Not too sweet. Not too sour.
                                      
So, the glaze needs 2 cups of sugar, 2 cups of water, 4 TBS of lime zest, and 1/2 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed. Boil everything together, then turn the heat down to a simmer and let it cook, stirring constantly for 20 minutes. It should reduce to a nice glaze. Taste it to make sure it's not too sweet. Add more lime juice if necessary.
Looks bad. Tastes SO GOOD.
 I like to add butter to mine because real butter makes everything better!!
For a garnish, lightly heat half slices of lime in a little bit of the syrup. Don't let it boil or the pith will make everything bitter. Enjoy!

Be sure to stop by my author pages at Mary Jane Hathaway and Virginia Carmichael for all my latest author news!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Virginia, I can't believe how much you raised for the boy scouts!!!! You don't do anything in half measures, do you!!!!! cookies and coffee and music -- who could resist?????

    And this lime glaze sounds zesty and fun!!!! And very springy. If only the weather would cooperate around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go all in!

      I heard some people on the East Coast had snow this week. That is just tragic. :( :( :(

      Delete
  2. Honestly, I don't know where you get your energy!

    Congratulations to your family on the successful fundraiser. Such talented children

    The recipe looks yummy. I was just looking at Key Lime pie in the market tonight. We have a local man who makes it and sells it to small markets. I resisted. Now I wish I hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow. I've never actually had a home made key lime pie unless it was my own. :P It would be great to try one made by a professional!

      Delete
  3. Oooh, this sounds amazing!! I love lime anything!

    Love the kid photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too. Lime, lemon, orange, grapefruit... But one of my kids doesn't like anything citrus. eeeek! I have to think before I put lemon glaze on anything...

      Delete
  4. The marmalade looks delicious!

    And congratulations on your successful fund raiser! But did you sell any coffee???? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Yes, we sold about 65 bags of coffee at $15 a bag. That only gives about $5 in profit, so the donations were much better in the long run.

      Delete