Thursday, December 1, 2016

Jiffy Corn Casserole

This is one of my favorite go-to casseroles now.

It all started with my daughter Sarah. Sarah had this somewhere in New Jersey and then made it for a baby shower...

We loved it.

But then we lost track of it for a while, and I didn't think about it until we were helping get things ready for a big autumn party.... and Sarah was making this casserole.

OH BE STILL MY HEART!!!!

I forgot how good this was, and it's now become a clan favorite.  KAV... this is vegetarian friendly, it keeps well, and you can even freeze it....

So for you, you could divide the ingredients into two 8" square pans or 7" or 8" round pans... and then just bake until done.... then freeze one.

Super simple 5 minute recipe with about a 40 minute baking time:

The Sour Cream declined to be photographed for this interview.


Jiffy Cornbread Corn Casserole

1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
1 can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 can cream style corn
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped fine (no seeds)
1 1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheese

Mix everything together except the cheese. Pour into lightly greased 13" x 9" pan or two 8" pans....


Sprinkle  cheese over top and stir in lightly. Bake at 350° for about 40-50 minutes (less for two 8" pans) until casserole is lightly browned and looks more solid....

This isn't a cornbread, it's more of a spoon bread, and it's amazingly delicious.

It is highly addictive.

I would eat this every single day if I could.

In fact, I just might.

And everyone in my family (the vegetarians, too!!!) love this!

I messed up because it was busy and didn't get pics, but I've got two here... so that's what we're going with for today!

But here are some fun holiday pics at the farm:

Zach, moving breakable village houses up to the beams as little ones storm the back door!!!


Eli and Jon peeling potatoes while watching football on Thanksgiving morning:


Finn and Xavier making cranberry orange relish: ALERT!!! Small children operating power tool with grinder! No fingers were lost in this exercise!!!


Floor mini-marshmallows are always the best! It's a win/win: Easy access for baby and efficient dusting by marshmallows!!!

clearly now the holidays are underway in upstate/Western New York because Ruthy has burned her first batch of sponge candy....

SIGH.........


And every busy holiday house needs someone to be their Mike Rowe... To do the dirty jobs, like licking the spatula after making chocolate cream pie.  :)


It's a dirty job....  but someone's got to do it!

Hey, I'm still hawking books all over the web.... come visit my website, or friend me on facebook or stop by Seekerville and chat with a bunch of great authors.... and their friends. 

I'm delighted to be sharing this wonderful holiday season with you, and this baby shepherd and I are wishing you the merriest of Christmases!!!


12 comments:

  1. Burned the first batch of sponge candy? I just burned my first batch of gingerbread cookies! We live parallel lives... sorta. Like being surrounded by all the sweet kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't burn something, the holidays cannot proceed. It's a thing.

      Do you think that you and I together could STOP TIME????

      I think it's physiologically possible!!!!

      Delete
  2. That casserole looks like a winner! The recipe is going into my carry-in dinner recipe file!

    And I have to ask: when you built the addition with the exposed beam, did you plan to put the Christmas houses up there? It's perfect!

    Merry almost Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the beams are a funny thing. They weren't in the original plans, the town made the builder add them, and when he did, I (I THOUGHT OF SOMETHING, JAN!!!!) had him put electric boxes in the beams... so that I could plug lights in. So while I didn't think of the beams, I did think of what to do with them once we had to have them! And now, as long as none of those houses come tumbling down on a little kid's head!! Yikes! And it was a mad scramble to get them up there, because Lena and Finn headed right for that room... we distracted them with cookies!!!

      Delete
  3. This looks like something I could eat everyday too! Oh wow. I can't wait to try making it!

    Love the photos! I just hope no balls are thrown that can knock those breakable houses off!! That's what would happen at my house. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my fear, too! And I've threatened young lives, but it's probably more like the GROWN UP boys I need to beware of!!!!

      And this casserole is so stinkin' good!!!!

      Delete
  4. I have all of the ingredients except the creamed corn and jalapeno. I can see the creamed corn being essential, but I've never actually cooked with a jalapeno. Would this work without that?

    I LOVE your village (and the entire room!!!!!)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate, the original recipe didn't have the jalapeno, just the first ingredients, so it's not at all necessary. The casserole is great without it, and great with it!

      Delete
  5. Oh yum...something adventurous for me to try...except I'm scared of the jalapeno peppers. I think I'll substitute some pretty red peppers instead. I don't like hot so that should work, right? And I'm assuming this would be a good side dish for chili or a hearty veggie stew?

    I love the glimpses you give of Christmas at your house, Ruthy. I'm being a Scrooge this year and not putting anything up except my nativity. But I've been listening to Christmas CDs and watching a copious amount of cheesy Christmas movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, we were just having that convo about decorations. I think part of my motivation is that I love doing it... the other part is that I want all these little peeps to remember coming to Grammy's house with lights and joy.

      So creating the memories is a big part of it.

      And I've always had this thing about wanting people who drive by to feel good about things. To find their own joy in the lights, the glimmer in the darkness.

      You know how dark it is up here in December and January... The lights help me as much as they bring a smile to others.

      Delete
  6. Oh, the fin that goes on at Ruthy's house. But burned sponge candy? Oh, that is so not good, Ruthy. I can just imagine the smell.

    This reminds me of my corn pudding recipe, but then it also reminds me of my onion shortcake recipe. Kind of like if those two casseroles had a baby, it would be this one. No sour cream in the corn pudding, but there are onions in the onion shortcake. I know, go figure. And I'm so proud of you for using a jalapeño. See, they can be good. Just get rid of the seeds and membrane and it's not as hot. BTW, my corn pudding uses green chilies. Another taste favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the green chilies would be great, too! When I looked online I found dozens of variations of this recipe... and I expect they're all wonderful.

      And I know we love experimenting around here!

      Delete