Monday, August 8, 2016

Chicken with Herby Sauce

Whenever I make something that has herbs in it, I want to call it "herby" whatever. And that always reminds me of Herbie, the Love Bug. Remember him?


And Dean Jones continues to be one of my favorite actors. So sorry he's gone.

But I've gone down a rabbit trail...let me see if I can make my way back.

Hmm. Chicken. Yes.

I am constantly looking for ways to combine the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan with my family's eating habits. It's usually a losing proposition, but they are generally happy with the main dishes. This recipe is one of those.

The original is from the new Trim Healthy Mama cookbook, but I've squeezed it into the ingredients I normally have in my pantry and my family's tastes. It is still a THM S meal - meaning lower carb. And we all love lower carb meals, don't we?

Here's my version of this yummy dish:

Chicken with Herby Sauce
(serves 4 - you can double the recipe to serve a larger family)

ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

More Parmesan cheese for topping



Put all of the ingredients except the chicken and the extra Parmesan cheese in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.


Place the chicken breasts in a greased baking dish.


Top the chicken with the herby sauce, then sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes, or until the topping is browned and melty.

*Note - my chicken pieces were quite thick and even though they were done, they were a little tough. The next time, I'll slice them in half to make thinner pieces, and they will cook better.


I made pasta seasoned with butter, garlic and Parmesan for the family, and whipped up some sauteed zucchini noodles for me. We also had a big salad on the side and fruit for dessert. It was a delicious (and healthy!) summer meal.

Speaking of healthy, last Friday night my dear husband and I hiked a trail we had never taken before at Custer State Park. It is called "The Prairie Trail," and it is beautiful. So different from some of the trails we've hiked.


This is prairie, but it's on top of the hills in Custer State Park.


Those hills.

When we got to the half-way point on our three-mile hike, we were rewarded with this view.


That field down there is full of prairie dogs. Let me see if we can get a closer view...I took this picture with my phone...


There. The big round spots of dirt are buffalo wallows. The big animals roll and scratch and roll some more to get the dust deep into their fur to help with their constant insect problem.

But the little mounds of dirt are prairie dog holes. If you look very carefully you can even see a prairie dog or two standing up. They were barking to beat the band, even though we were a good fifty to a hundred yards away!

It was a good hike, and off the beaten trail. But that will be our last visit to the Hills for a couple weeks. It's Rally time. We stay home and let the Bikers enjoy the Hills during their visit to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

And then, by mid-August, we get our Hills back. Peace and quiet again!

One more thing! I can't forget that Mattie will be coming to a store near you on September 20, 2016. But you can preorder it now, wherever books are sold...or you can just follow the link!
Barnes&Noble.com








Jan Drexler loves her family, her home, cooking and just about anything made by hand. But she loves her Lord most of all.

Stop by Jan's website to learn more about her books: www.JanDrexler.com

17 comments:

  1. Very pretty cover!!

    And I keep meaning to try one of these recipes that bakes sour cream or mayo or both on a chicken breast but I just can't seem to take the plunge. But... today is a new day. LOL. I actually have all the ingredients for this. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! I love the flavor this topping adds...delicious!

      And I love Mattie's cover. The cover artists at Revell can really capture the heart of the story. :)

      Delete
  2. Jan, I make something similar to this and love it!

    Love the photos! I can't believe the buffalo make those dents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this recipe so much, I just might make it again this week!

      And the buffalo wallows last for generations of buffalo. They reuse the same ones over and over. It's fun to watch them, but I wouldn't want to get close. It takes a lot of grunting and thrashing to roll a ton of bison around in that dirt!

      Delete
  3. Good timing on your recipe Jan as I just bought chicken on sale this weekend and was wondering what to do with it. I'll try this.

    Custer State Park is really pretty and the prairie dogs are so prolific there. I loved learning about them when we were in the area. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Sandra!

      The prairie dogs in the park have it good - only coyotes and rattlesnakes to worry about (and eager tourists with cameras!). We always enjoy watching them.

      Delete
    2. Yikes! You go hiking where the rattlesnakes roam??????

      Delete
    3. Yes. And we're very careful. Always aware.

      We also go hiking where buffalo roam, and this time of year (rut season), that can be quite dangerous if you come upon a bull unaware. They don't like to be surprised!

      But really, is it any more dangerous than walking through city streets? At least the rattlesnakes and buffaloes give you a warning rattle or snuff! :)

      Delete
  4. Good morning, Jan.

    That recipe looks delicious.

    Those buffalo wallows remind me of something. I had been seeing all these hollowed out circles in the dirt around the trees. I kind of figured it was from squirrels digging. But then one day I saw it. The birds are doing it. I see dozens of sparrows sitting in the dirt, fluttering their wings and hollowing out the hole. I have no idea what they're doing it for since they don't build nests or anything in the hollows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dust! Birds clean their feathers with the dust. It gets the mites out and keeps them clean. Same with the buffalo, but on a smaller scale.

      Some days I think we all need a dust bath once in a while. ;)

      Delete
    2. That's funny because the same thing is happening in my garden in my newly laid mulch paths. I thought it was squirrels too and then this morning I saw a bunch of sparrow burrowing. Bet if feels cool too.

      Delete
  5. Jan, I can't wait to try this. I'm always looking for new things to do with chicken breasts and this looks absolutely delicious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how yummy this was! You'll have to try it. :)

      Delete
  6. So I've been envious of your hiking trails and spectacular view but then you mentioned rattlesnakes in a comment and I'm totally over the envy thing. My complexion isn't even green any more! Though I think it would be fun to hear the prairie dogs. I guess you leave your dogs at home on treks like this?

    Oh -- and excited about Mattie's Pledge. Gorgeous cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I answered your comment above about the snakes. Always be prepared!

      We actually haven't seen a rattler while hiking yet. We did see one while we were driving last summer, and we've seen a couple in town.

      I saw a baby one while walking the dogs one day, but wasn't able to...um..."take care" of him. The babies are the most dangerous, because they haven't learned to conserve their venom based on the circumstances of the bite, so they release it all into the wound.

      I had the dogs with me, and no weapon except my boots, but I wasn't going to risk getting close enough for that.

      But enough about snakes!

      And yes, we leave the dogs at home while hiking. Wynter is getting too old for long treks (1/2 mile is about her limit - our morning walk), and my dear husband has this thing about driving for miles to the park with a whiny Thatcher, and then back home with a muddy one. I don't blame him. :)

      The prairie dogs are so much fun! They bark like a Yorkie, kind of. The ones near the road are so used to people you hardly ever hear them. But these were on high alert when we showed up!

      Delete
  7. I have been remiss as I wade through a busy summer with kids most days.... but I'm so glad I got over here to see this chicken dish AND to think about you avoiding the Sturgis rally.

    So most mayo/chicken things I see have you cover the whole breast with mayonaisse/dressing, then with crumbs of some sort, so this is delightfully different! It looks marvelous.

    And I can't even imagine having bison and prairie dogs roaming around, but then I'm surrounded by coyotes, deer, bears, raccoons, skunks, weasels (I've only seen TWO, ever) bobcats and badgers. I've never seen a badger except on Disney.

    And in the "Bear" books... "Bear Stays Up for Christmas", etc.

    When I visit the west, I must go see critters.

    I probably won't hike a lot.

    Maybe a LITTLE.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This chicken dish is LOW CARB! Right up your alley!

      WHEN you come visit the west, I'll show you the critters from the comfort of the car. We'll go at the right time of day to catch them out grazing, and we'll take the back roads that the tourists don't know about. ;)

      And one little hike - the President's Trail at Mt. Rushmore. No bison there, only great views of the monument, and once in a while a mountain goat.

      Delete