Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Hubby's Retirement Party

A week ago today was my husband's official last day of work, so we threw him a big retirement party over the weekend. Friends and family came together to show Big Daddy just how much we love and appreciate him.

The grand boys came in from Oklahoma ready to swim.
Elijah even did a little flying.
Nice splash.
Though it did kind of mess up his big brothers' game of volleyball.
Once play time was over, everyone was ready for a big ol' spread of Texas barbecue. But, as usual, I was so caught up in the festivities  that I forgot to take pictures. Here's a sampling of what was served, though.

Grape Salsa is the big man's fave, so I had to make that. It sounds weird, I know, but it's really good. You can find that recipe here.
Then we had smoked brisket and sausage (brisket recipe is here),
Cowboy Beans (recipe here),
 And Mexican Macaroni Salad (that recipe is here), along with some cheesy potatoes and all the fixins one needs for Texas barbecue. Things like sauce, pickles and jalapeno peppers are a must.
 All I can say is that if anyone left hungry, it was their fault. However, I do still have leftovers in the fridge, so if anyone would like to join me...

For dessert, I opted to special order a cake. The concept was good (his career started as a naval officer, then he moved into sales and now he's ready for ranching), though I was a little disappointed with the execution.
At least it was tasty.
After cake, it was time for Big Daddy's surprise.
Grammy got him a new toy that made for a special moment of father/son bonding.
I love it when the cousins get to hangout together,
One of the things we did at the party, was give guests the opportunity to make suggestions for the big man's bucket list. Here he is going through them. There were some really creative ideas, along with a few that had us chuckling all night long.

All it all, it was a fantastic, albeit exhausting, weekend. One that went by way too fast.
And what's next for Big Daddy?

14 comments:

  1. Well pass those leftovers! You bought him a rifle? Not a tractor??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shotgun, Tina. Not a rifle. It's one he's been wanting for a while. Besides, a tractor is much more expensive. And how on earth would I ever wrap the thing?! ;)

      Go ahead and fix you a plate.

      Delete
    2. comme ci comme ça!

      To this Yankee, it's all the same if it has bullets. Or whatever they have lol.

      Delete
    3. But you're a munitions expert. :P

      Delete
  2. Super congrats to your hubby. Wonder if he'll be like the rest of us and become so busy he will wonder how he had the time to work. LOL. Great party food too. Look forward to his adventures. PS The nice thing about writing is you can do it anywhere. So if he decides to go adventuring, you can still join him. smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see him doing that, Sandra. Getting busier. And the closer we get to moving to the ranch, the busier he'll become. After all, I have two books due this year. He'll need to pick up the slack around the house. Yes, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

      And I'm looking forward to those adventures. Then again, life is just one big adventure, right?

      Delete
  3. I'm looking at this meal and realizing I can't live in Texas with my bland New England-friendly tummy.

    That's so funny, and I bet I'd get used to things after time, but at my age, who's got time?

    The cake I could eat, and happily, and can you ever have too many shotguns? Dave's favorite is his Ithaca "Bent Barrel" that he's had since he was 15 or 16.... and he loves that thing. And now he has his dad's two 12 gauge shotguns, so he's got a selection of ways to thin the deer and blackbirds around here. #savethecrops

    Mindy, congratulations to you guys! I hope you love life on the ranch and life in retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, since when can't a bland New England tummy not do beef? The jalapeños I get. I don't really do those either. But beef is always good. As is cake. There were no leftovers of that. Sad, very sad.

      Bent Barrel? Is it really bent? I'm all for'thinning the deer (and putting them in my freezer) and killing snakes. I guess the next gun purchase will be for me because I've had too many run-ins with copperheads at the ranch. I want them dead, fast.

      Delete
  4. It looks like you had a wonderful party! Getting the family together is the best way to celebrate. :)

    And you do need something to take care of those copperheads! They sell "snake shot" cartridges around here for derringers. Easy to carry, and does the job if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I need/want, Jan. Something that does the job if I need it. ;)

      Delete
  5. Sadly, this Yank can't do beef. Does not agree with me. It's been true all my life, but it took me being an adult to realize the explanation. I still love it and sometimes you just have to pay the price to enjoy.

    Happy Retirement. It looks like a wonderful party/weekend. I'm starving so I'll join Tina in the leftovers line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. Here's a plate with no beef, Mary Cate. I'll eat your share.

      Delete
  6. Great pictures -- and I think the cake looks great. I'll stop by for a piece later if it's among the leftovers. LOL Exciting times -- this transitional year. I didn't realize you'd be moving to the ranch. All I can think of is the snakes! LOL Shudder. You are sooooooooo brave. Hope you enjoy a quiet week to offset the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, all those party guests polished off the cake. Or maybe it was the kids. Whatever the case, there was zip, zilch, nada left. However, I'd be happy to get another just for you and me to share. :D

      As for the snakes, I have boots. And access to a gun. However, my first choice is usually to call on one of my guys to take care of them. Still, a girl has to be prepared.

      Delete