Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Honey Mustard Pork with Apples

I really owe everyone at the Yankee Belle a debt of gratitude.

Were it not for the pressure to come up with recipes to share, I'd probably settle for eating a bowl of cereal most nights.

I'm particularly fond of this one.




Alas, posting a picture of a cereal box isn't really a Yankee Belle Cafe-worthy post, is it?

So, while I'm still on my honey mustard kick, I was intrigued to try mixing it with with apple cider, a honey crisp apple, and some pork.

My husband was having his Wednesday standby - pork with peppers. Instead of looking for something completely different, I made some extra boneless pork chops (simmered in the oven in a pan of water). Then I simmered a sliced up honeycrisp apple.





When the apple was mostly soft, I added in a dollop of honey mustard and a splash of apple cider. I shredded the cooked pork cutlets into the mix, simmered a few more minutes and served alongside the sweet potato I'd thrown in the oven.

I may have finally reached the limit of things I can add honey mustard sauce to, but at least I ended on a tasty one. The mustard blended nicely with the pork and was a tangy counterpart to the cider and apples.

As I was eating, it occurred to me it would make a tasty casserole too.
Layer the mashed sweet potatoes on the bottom of a baking dish, then a layer of shredded pork and apples. It tasted really good all blended together.

Dessert - apple pie shortbread cookies and warm cider. Not bad for a weeknight.


PS - it tasted even better when I had the leftovers for lunch the next day.


If there's food, Fenway is guaranteed to be there.

14 comments:

  1. MMMM! Delicious! My favorite French dish is pork with roasted apples. The glaze is from cider and there is an incredible tang to it. Also, love honeycrisp.

    I laughed at the YBC pressure to cook. After three years, my kids will get out the camera when I start cooking. Funny that they think cooking equals "must take pictures" but for the little guys, that's all they've ever known. New recipe= must take pictures in case it turns out and can be used for a blog post!
    Definitely trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are tooo funny. I bet your kids think every event requires photos. And what a blessing for us because they are so fun.

      Delete
    2. That's sweet, Virginia. I've started taking pictures of everything too - just in case.

      Love the pictures you share.

      Delete
  2. I really laughed at the photo of the cereal. How true. And sometimes it just hits the spot doesn't it? chuckle

    The honey mustard pork with apples look delicious and will make a yummy meal. I'm glad you are on a honey mustard kick because I never thought to use it and it really is tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I actually just had a bowl as a snack when I got home.

      I never actually eat it at breakfast time but I love it for snacks.

      Delete
  3. Awww, love the photo of Fenway. I miss my pups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby and I were just talking about a friend whose dog is nearing the end. It made both of us want to go give Fen a hug.

      Delete
  4. The pork and apples combo sounds delicious! And the honey mustard would add the all-important hint of irony any meal needs (and yes, I've been listening to Stan Williams re: irony in stories).

    And Fenway! What a great photo of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jan. My daughter had asked me to send her a photo of him so I took this with him resting his head on my lap hoping I'd drop dinner.

      Delete
  5. Fenway looks like a great taste tester...or hoping to be. I love it when you guys post puppy pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fenny makes pictures easy. He is always around when I'm near food. :)

      Delete
    2. CATE!!!!! I've been MIA with my trip to see cute grandkids, but I'm back and loving this! First, it's not crazy hard... second it looks marvelous and I know what you said about the cereal thing....

      But first things first: Let's Go Mets!!!!! This week all New Yorkers are required to be Mets fans!

      Must go do my post for tomorrow, which is simpler than simple because that's the kind of week it's been!

      Delete
  6. Fenway is precious! I know that doggy look well. ;)

    Thiere's something about pork and mustard that seems a good mix. I'll have to try it. But I'll also admit I often eat cereal or oatmeal for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete