Friday, July 24, 2015

Hot Dog Quesadillas

HOT DOG QUESADILLAS 
Guest Blogger Sandra Leesmith          

Do you want something quick and easy?

Hot Dog Quesadillas are one of my favorite quick meals.

I always keep packages of Hebrew National Fat Free hot dogs in the refrigerator. I always have corn tortillas in the freezer. So this is a stand-by for a quick snack or a meal when I’ve forgotten to take meat out of the freezer.

Today I used a package of blended shredded cheese called Mexican Blend. But you can use any shredded cheese.  Golly,  the cheese doesn’t even have to be shredded. You can place a slice on each tortilla also. And I always have on hand my favorite salsa.



First lay out the tortillas on a microwavable plate. You can use flour tortillas also.

Spread your favorite salsa on the tortillas.



Sprinkle shredded cheese on the tortillas.

Plop a hot dog on each tortilla. (I use Hebrew National Fat Free because I love them. You can use any brand of hot dog. It doesn’t matter. But if they aren’t pre-cooked, you will need to cook them first)



Pop the plate in the microwave oven. I allow 30 seconds for each corn tortilla quesadilla. (Adjust time if you are using flour tortillas).

Roll up and enjoy.



For those of you on the DUKAN plan (or any protein plan), I slice the hot dog down the middle and plop a fat free cheese stick on it. Then I spread my favorite salsa. I heat those for 30 seconds each also. You don’t really need the tortilla.



Makes a delicious snack or meal. And only takes minutes to fix.



16 comments:

  1. Sandra, I love the high-protein version! That buys me some carbohydrate space for an ice cream!!!!

    Ice cream and summer go hand in hand and I'm craving a trip to Abbott's. A couple of Zweigle's Hots (our faves up here) and then a dish of ice cream...

    :)

    I'm totally summer happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Ruthy, It all adds up to quick and easy. Now if you had the ice cream in your freezer already, then it would really be quick and easy.

      However a trip to Abbotts has to be fun. And a lovely break. smile

      Delete
  2. I get to be a guest today because Missy is having a blast in NYC at the conference. Oh those photos brought back so many fun memories. I'm trying not to be jealous here. LOL

    At least I'm getting some writing done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. LOL. But I just had a few weeks on vacation and although I had visions of me typing away in those beautiful locales, the reality was that I didn't even open my laptop for ten days. Then the next eight were spent rereading and plunking around when I had a few minutes.

      Delete
    2. Seems like the more time I have to write, the less writing I get done. Much better to have chaos around. More gets accomplished.
      Now why is that????

      Delete
  3. I'm always looking for a quick and easy lunch, and these look delicious, Sandra!

    And yes, I'm telling myself (in a very virtuous voice) that I'm getting so much writing done because I'm not in NYC. Yes, very virtuous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, You are virtuous. You are virtuous. You are virtuous.
      And getting lots of writing done.
      Let me know how you like these. They are one of my favorites.

      Delete
  4. Although we eat them occasionally (very occasionally), I'm not a big fan of hot dogs. I think it's knowing what they're made of that turns me off. Still, this sounds like a great option for those days when the grandchildren arrive and we need a quick lunch that they'd all like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carol, I certainly empathize with the thoughts of what hot dogs are made of. I had that problem for awhile, but after traveling in South America for a year I got over it. You would not believe all the strange things we ate. After eating that and I survived, not much bothers me anymore.

    If hot dogs are an issue, try other meats. Leftovers, cooked hamburger meat, chunks of chicken, slices of ham. Or just cheese with maybe some chilis and olive slices thrown on top. Yummy. This is making me hungry. smile

    The whole idea is quick and easy. smile

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra! With my kids, anything with a hot dog in it is a big hit. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, haha. reading the hotdog controversy now. We eat chicken hot dogs. Lower fat, fewer nitrates. Still, chemically separated and processed meat should be high on the list of preferred foods, but they sure are TASTY. One of my boys would live on hot dogs if he could, no joke.

      Delete
    2. I love that kid. He and I would be good meal buddies. smile

      Delete
  7. Every time I check for comments, I see those quesadillas and they make me hungry. LOL I am at my cousins in San Diego right now and she has avacado trees. Now some slices of avacado on those quesadillas would really hit the spot.

    Or you could make homemade guacamole and scoop that on a cooked quesadilla.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra, thanks for sharing your recipe and for holding down the fort on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are most definitely welcome. It is so much fun here in the Yankee Belle cafe. Thanks for having me.

    ReplyDelete