Thursday, July 30, 2015

Dark Chocolate Bark "Hashtag" HEALTHY!!!

Well, as healthy as chocolate can be, anyhow!

Hi, I'm Ruthy and I love God, my family, my country, coffee, chocolate and dogs.

Unlike mathematical order of operations, my order may change depending on the day and desperation!

BUT FIRST... SHAMELESS CHRISTMAS IN JULY SALES PLUG!!!

"Home for the Holidays" Contemporary and Historical collections are on sale for your Kindle app or Kindle device right now! Run over here to get your .99 (yes, ninety-nine cents!!) collection and then come back... I'll wait, and make your coffee when you return so it's crazy-fresh!




Cate was talking about chromium and chocolate and all that good stuff yesterday, and that reminded me to share this super easy, "won't break the carb or calorie" bank snack:



Dark Chocolate Bark

2 bags (or 4 cups) of dark chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups salted peanuts, almonds, nuts of your choice

Melt chocolate over pan of hot (not boiling) water. I create my own double boiler by setting a biggish bowl over a 2-quart saucepan with about 2 inches of water in the bottom. Heat the water to simmer. Add chocolate to the bowl.


 Stir regularly. Don't let water or steam get into chocolate, that's why I use a bigger bowl to block the steam.



You can clean the kitchen or READ A BOOK while this is melting!

When melted, stir in nuts (more or less isn't a big deal). I used these Caramel Salted Peanuts:


 Spread out on an aluminum foil covered cookie sheet. Refrigerate until firm, break into pieces. Store in covered container in fridge (at least in summer, when the weather's moderate, can be kept in cupboard. I made white chocolate bark and dark chocolate for our summer reunion:


Break into pieces:



This is a great, marvelous, quick grab without being high in calories or carbs.

12 comments:

  1. Oh -- yum! I didn't know making bark was so easy. why did I think it was complicated and required a candy thermometer? This would be great for Christmas gifts too....not that I'm thinking that far ahead or anything. Mind you, I'm kind of craving Christmasy cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, Your comment is making me chuckle. Christmas in July. I love it.So great thinking.

      Delete
    2. Kav, I've been celebrating Christmas in July all month while I got up to snuff on all my things like website, Twitter for Cate, FB profile, etc. Did you see the peppermint hot chocolate Sandra Belle Calhoune posted on FB yesterday? That had me wanting to turn up the AC (which needed doing anyway since we were in high 90s) and make hot cocoa. I resisted. :( (The cocoa, not the AC.)

      Delete
    3. So easy, right? And you can do raisin bark, too, same way, just stir in raisins after the chocolate is melted. Pistachios.... lightly salted pistachios in dark chocolate, oh mylanta, soooo good!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this looks easy and the way I like chocolate--not sweet. Yum. Thanks for this nice easy recipe. Although I have to say, having that stuff around the house is dangerous. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, you're more tempted with chips and salty things. These... oh, this helps me to stay kind of on track!!! Not fully on track, because otherwise I'd be a skinny girl and that will never happen! But sooooo good!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Ruthy, have I said lately how much I love you. This IS perfect. I always have almonds and I bought some of those chips yesterday. I just mixed some into my plain vanilla Icelandic (low sugar/high protein) yogurt.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate you will love this! Nuts and dark chocolate, just a hint of decadence!!!!

      Delete
  4. I was nodding my head all the way through this post: Um hm, yes, chocolate; Um hm, yes, pyrex bowl for the double boiler (I have that same yellow bowl, by the way!); Um hm, yes, salted peanuts....WHAT?!?!?!

    Go back - SALTED CARAMEL PEANUTS?!?!?

    I don't care if our streets ARE filled with thousands of bikers - I'm on my way to the store!

    (thanks for the tip, Ruthy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I found these at Sam's Club (BIG BAG!!!!) and they're my go-to snack now. Just a handful now and again when I need something. SO GOOD!!!!! And not crazy high in anything! Crazy biker town: EEEEEK!

      Delete
  5. All I can say is: YUM. I want it NOW.

    But maybe I should have lunch first...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, you have my permission to have this instead of lunch!!! :)

      Great, handy snack!

      Delete