Wednesday, June 3, 2015

On Retreat: Writing and Pinterest

Until June 10th, I'm on a writing retreat. Unfortunately, I am not in my favorite hermitage on monastery property in New Mexico.

Even though I'm at home there's no cooking, barely any cleaning, no tv, no Facebook, occasionally Twitter. 

Mostly I'm back in time, using a hand-me-down typewriter and working on my WIP:


If I'm in the present I'm working on the new butterfly garden to replace that bare spot where a diseased maple used to be. A stepping stone path, transplanting and dividing perennials, adding containers because there are a LOT of roots we just can't remove because they are wrapped around our, gulp, gas line! 



Yep, not much time on social media.  One exception: Pinterest. It's helped me plan out my garden, figure out how to stack a wall around a french drain, attract butterflies. I had to start a Front Yard Makeover board just to handle all the ideas. 

I also check out my own boards when I need a break from looking at all my WWII boards. Living in the mindset of a second WWII means keeping the homefront going and contributing to the war far away. Or it means dealing with the war in your own backyard, the one with the vegetable garden you need to survive. A mental break of the best kind.



You can see what I'm up to here.  I would love for you to follow the boards you like or just follow me. I'm always added a new prayer or inspirational saying, a vintage dress or a recipe.


Here are some of my favorite boards:

Gluten Free and Adaptable Goodies Board.


Fashion of a Different Era


Mad about Plaid


Porches, Patios and Garden Spots


All Things Book


Inspiration-and-mantras

Until next time, Julie

16 comments:

  1. Yay you! Meanwhile I am on permanent retreat from Pinterest.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even ManO is now on Pinterest. You have a will of iron!

      Delete
    2. Piper can never resist thumbing her nose at Pinterest. She has no idea what she's missing.

      Delete
    3. Yep, but she's a whiz on Twitter!

      Delete
  2. lol, hubby's on Pinterest, too. Mostly for DIY, posting fire scenes and restaurant reviews. Enjoy your time off social media, Julie. Once you get past the urge to reach for your phone, it's quite freeing actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly. Except for posting pictures of the grandkidlets!!!!

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your retreat! But please tell me you're not using that typewriter!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. Thank goodness. But isn't it pretty?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I love Pinterest. It is my little treat after hours of writing. Such a paradise. And are you seriously using that typewriter??? I used to use typewriters way back in high school....but computers are so much less stressful. Enjoy your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a big clunker of a typewriter when I went to college but nothing like this for sure. But remember, I have to pretend I'm "back in the day."

      Delete
  6. Your writer's retreat sounds fabulous.

    My daughter has been asked to house/dog sit for some friends later this month, and offered to give me the gig. A weekend in someone else's house sounds tempting - no unfinished projects, no family interruptions, no cooking except for myself. Hmm. I need to keep thinking about it!

    And, by the way, I like Pinterest. But I'll go for weeks without going to it, then post a few things, and then leave it alone for another few weeks. I don't think I'm addicted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, I am sure there is a genetic or learning type component to Pinterest. The funny thing is I tend to be an auditory learner so you would think I wouldn't be into the visual nature of pins. But I am. I think it the organizing part of my brain.

      Delete
  7. Happy self-imposed writing retreat, Julie! Love that typewriter. Imagine how hard it would be to push down on those keys. I bet typists had muscled fingers back in the day. LOL

    I love pinterest too -- especially for dream gardening. So many great ideas. I'm going to check out your links...but not yet. I had physiotherapy this morning so haven't done much writing yet. Must do that first....though your links are so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, writing then whatever! I have actually ended up dividing days in half in terms of writing and other things that give my muscles and brain a break. And those typewriters weigh a ton, even the portable ones. Hope physiotherapy went well.

      Delete
  8. Enjoy this time. We miss seeing your posts on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete