Friday, June 12, 2015

French Galettes with Guest Sandra Leesmith

Sandra Leesmith here with a recipe I obtained from the most recent diet I tried and the first one to actually work FOR ME.  Notice I said FOR ME, because everyone has different body types so I don’t think all diets work for everyone.  Anyway that has been my experience.  I’ve tried all the famous and not so famous diets and this one finally worked.

It is called the Dukan Diet and is used a lot in Europe.  It is basically a high protein diet.  If you want to check it out, you can get a used book on Amazon.

While eating high protein, they recommend eating two tablespoons of oat bran every day. One of my favorite ways to do this is to make what Dr. Dukan calls French galettes.

They are easy to make and you can make a bunch ahead of time as they last several days in the refrigerator.

Ingredients:
1 egg (beaten)
2 tablespoons oat bran
1 1/2 tablespoons fat free cottage cheese




Here’s how I make them: 


Mix ingredients and pour three small globs onto a griddle to make three galettes.



Because I want to be sure I get the two tablespoons of oat bran, I just make one recipe at a time.  When I cook the galettes, I divide the bunch to make three small pancakes just because they are easier to flip than one big one.



I eat mine with ground meat and salsa on top. Hubby eats his with stevia and cinnamon. You can be creative and eat them with any number of toppings.




Bio: 
Sandra began writing in the eighties and was multi-published in category romance, contemporary fiction and teenage self-help books. After a life changing experience, she returned to finish her teaching career. Retired from teaching, she is pursuing a career in writing.  

The writing styles changed over the years so Sandra had to relearn the craft and start from square one.  She adores a good romantic tale and strives to tell them as well. She is now republishing her novels from the eighties. 

Sandra loves to play pickleball, hike, read, bicycle and write. She lives in Arizona with her husband. 

During the hot summers she and her husband travel throughout the United States in their motorhome. Her favorite travel experiences are to see and enjoy God's beautiful creation. She loves the national parks and monuments where nature is preserved for all to see and enjoy. 

You can find Sandra's books on Amazon. (click here)

22 comments:

  1. I've never heard of galettes. Are they kind of like a protein pancake? The things I learn at the café!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Kav, Yes that is exactly what they are. They are great to cook up and eat on the road. And when you are on a protein diet, you might get a craving for a piece of bread so eating my galettes gives me that sense of eating a pancake or piece of bread.

    My friend isn't on any diet, (lucky her) and she eats them just because the oat bran is so good for her system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW in Dr. Dukan's book his recipe asks for a tablespoon and half of quark. Well I had to look up what quark was. It is something in France that sounds very much like cottage cheese so that is what I use. Fat free cottage cheese. LOL

    Have any of you folks heard of quark? All you travelers might have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quark is a new word to me in cooking! I only thought it was a physics particle, part of the proton. :)

      Delete
    2. Only use I've heard of with quark was in science/space stuff.

      Delete
    3. I first hear of Quark when I lived in Germany my senior year of college. From what I could tell, it is a dairy product that is sort of a cross between cottage cheese and yogurt. It's a European thing. They've got the natural foods thing down pat, I think.

      Delete
  4. Thanks or sharing, Sandra! I usually eat a protein breakfast so can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandra! This looks wonderful and a perfect way to have that "bread" sensation while staying high protein. Thank you for sharing this!

    I had the pleasure of seeing these Quark-cakes last week and honestly, this is a great way to get those heart-healthy-happy oats.

    Sandra, I'm so glad you're here today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these, Sandra. I need protein in the morning but I always want something cakey. These seem like the perfect mix. I'll have to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Missy and Mary I had to fo online and look up the word. And I do think it also applies to some science stuff. I'll have to ask hubby. He's the science whiz around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, these are really a great way to get protein. I don't like the taste of eggs but an egg really stays with me all morning.so I like to have one. This way to eat an egg is perfect for me. I get the egg, the cake feeling, and protein all in one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ruthy, You gals reminded me how much fun it can be over here at Yankee Belle. The way I LOVE food, I should drop in more often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MIssy, Tina tried these and loves them. She makes hers with yogurt instead of cottage cheese which works great. She also puts stevia in the batter mix and it makes a nice sweet cake. Something to try if you're craving sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just had my galette for this morning and used enchilada sauce instead of salsa. Ummm it was yummy. Oh yes, I used turkey sausage instead of hamburger also. I like the Jimmy Dean pre-cooked, Its great when traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound wonderful, Sandra! I love a protein breakfast. Without enough protein, I get hungry LONG before lunch time. These look like a good breakfast option. I'll have to try them.

    And welcome to the cafe! We love to have guests, especially ones who enjoy food :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jan, Yep, I do enjoy food way too much. But like you, I find if I stick to protein I last longer before hunger draws me away from my keyboard. These are really handy. Sometimes I make a bunch up and freeze them for busy days. I cook them while watching a Hallmark movie. smile

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sandra, do you think you could add fruit into them before you cook? I'm thinking blueberries - like blueberry pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know but can't imagine why not? Why don't you try it? I bet fresh blueberries would be yummy. Or put fresh berries on top of them. Add some whipped cream.

    Well that takes it off my diet, but most of the rest of you can enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A friend of mine eats them like pancakes with maple syrup. Of course he isn't on a diet either. Nor does he need to be the rascal. I try not to turn green. smile

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, interesting! So high protein but not low carb? I would think oats have carbs in them. I really need carbs to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Virginia, Yes, the oats do have carbs, but its just the bran so not many. The body needs fiber and this is the only non-protein allowed. But this is the program that works for me. We all have different body types (thank goodness) So this may not be the best for you. Something to think about and try. OR not.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love them, Sandra and they totally fill you up.

    ReplyDelete