Wednesday, May 20, 2015

When you don't have a garden, garden anyway!

It's that weird time at the farmers markets here.  Between cold weather veggies and too early for tomatoes, green beans and all the things I really look forward to during the summer.

It's a weird time at my house too. I can't put in flowers or veggies this year because of a huge remodel we are taking on. So, I'm spending my time back in WWII England and reading about British Victory gardens. I knew plenty about what was going on in the USA but not in England. 


My grandparents, actually my grandfather, had the green thumb and his victory garden grew well. When I was little, he was still out there on the acre and a half, planting. I loved my grandfather's garden. Spent so much time there, accidently spearing potatoes, avoiding Black Widow spiders in the corn, and picking zinnias. My grandfather's garden was so special I commissioned paintings made from the memories I have.


We really regret not having our own family farm to take the grandkidlets to see. So we take the grandkidlets down the road to the local farm and produce stand.


And I might try making a chair garden like this one I saw at a local antique fair. But I don't know that I could replicate the beauty of this one. I'm having not-buying remorse.


So, do you have a garden, veggie or flower? Have you tried to garden and failed? Or had great success with containers? Do you rely on the local farm near by for educating the children in your life?  

9 comments:

  1. I stick to container gardening, Julie. Not that I have many containers. Rosemary, thyme, tomatoes... My cilantro always dies. For something that's widely used in Mexican food, you'd think it would be able to take the heat.

    Occasionally I'll grow jalapenos, as well. That way I have most everything I need to whip up some pico de gallo whenever I want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a plan. I have heard others group their herb containers by spaghetti sauce, chili, and mint. That's crazy about cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a square foot gardening fan. I haven't been able to plant any veggies this year. My landlord had a tree taken out in the back -- huge old thing -- and he totally took a part my square bed that I'd made out of old fence rails. Okay -- so it wasn't the most wonderfully put together thing but it kept the lovely rich artfully nurtured soil contained. Alas, he raked all the soil over the whole yard and then the tree picker truck drove over it and...sigh....I have no square foot garden bed and no soil and...sob!!!! honestly, that man is thwarting my gardening endeavors every which way I turn. He's clueless!!!!!!

    Anyhow -- I'll still plant salad stuff in containers including tomatoes. It's been too cold at night to plant them yet though.

    My perennial garden at the front is running wild. I can only garden in ten minute stints a couple of times a day but I'm catching up and have managed to vanquish the first crop of dandelions from the front. LOL

    Can you tell I love gardening? And I love planning a garden. I keep collecting inspiration pictures on Pinterest. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot to mention looking at Pinterest. Those dream gardens are as lovely as dream homes.

      Delete
  4. We tried gardening our first year in NC, and...failed. Miserably. I think a deer or rabbit must've nibbled on all our strawberries. We woke up one morning to nubs. A garden is a lot of work in 85-90+ temps. Nope. I'll buy my fruits and vegies at Harris Teeter. :) Love your pictures, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, that's why we now have a Zen rock garden in the back yard. Thanks about the pics.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the chair!!

    Every so often we grow tomatoes. But that's about it. I grew up with a garden, though, and used to gripe about having to work it! Now I'd love to have that big garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming out of hibernation to comment on your lovely post. I love the pictures, especially Miss B on the tractor. So sweet. And your entire post reminds me of summer vacation when I was a kid and we visited my grandparents in Manassas, Virginia. My grandparents lived in a very rural area, and although they weren't farmers, they grew beans, tomatoes, corn, etc. I remember how my siblings and I were instructed to pick the beans and my grandmother would show us how to snip the ends. I don't have a green thumb whatsoever. But I sure wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Lovely!!!(❤´艸`❤)
    Hey╭( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ I'm new here~~Play Archeage?Follow 2archeage

    Archeage Gold ------ Cheap Archeage Gold

    ReplyDelete