Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Hot and the Cold of Cold Brewed Coffee


Oh, morning coffee, how I love thee. But coffee and I have a problem right now. When coffee is put in a coffee pot and heated it releases all sorts of acids and the bitterness it's known for. My stomach is not a happy camper, neither is my esophagus. Hence, my problem. I was looking at giving it, my coffee pot and my local roaster up.



I ran into my coffee roasting guy at the farmer's market and brought up my dilemma. Little did I know, cold brewing coffee reduces the acid in your morning cup by over 60% .   He suggested putting a cup of coffee in a four cups of water in a one quart mason jar, putting a lid on, shaking it and letting it sit for 12 hours. Then you strain it, store in the refrigerator and use your concentrate for your morning cup whether hot or cold.

But there is a controversy over HOW exactly to cold brew it. I found this great article that focuses on the cold brew technique. Here and Now on Cold Brew Coffee    

The mason jar and even the guys' advice seemed too simple, too inexpensive. So I went to google and found this baby averaging $250.




Um, no. Besides being pricey, this one, found on Reddit, reminded me too much of my days working in a lab. But it is all glass, another reason I wanted to ignore my coffee pot (hence, the sad face).

So I did a hack using what I had to see: 1) if I really liked cold-brewed coffee and 2) if it really was low acid as everyone from baristas to scientists claim.  I needed filtered water (just because I think it makes a better cup of coffee), a four cup measuring cup, an old loose tea filter, and my favorite freshly ground coffee. 

You will also need plastic wrap to cover the cup.
  
There are a gazillion articles out there about the mason jar method, room temp brewing versus refrigerator, how to strain the coffee, how long to brew it etc. I've been experimenting and made the following decisions for what I'd try.

1) Refrigerator method: Lots of folks swear by room temperature for 12 hours. But my microbiology trained mind worried about bacteria and mold. Didn't need to chance that and I even found some articles to support it. So I decided it was worth doing the colder brew, even if the coffee wasn't quite as aromatic.

2) Loose coffee versus permanent filter or coffee "sock":  I tried it both ways. I made sure to swirl the coffee during the brewing process to make sure the grounds were really wet, just like if I had used the mason jar. I managed to strain the loose just fine through the filter that is a part of my coffee pot system. The filter worked fine too. Again, I made sure I stirred the ground coffee and swirled the container (holding the filter of course).

3) Time brewed: Lots of various advice but 12 hours seemed to do for me.

4) So here is the set-up for an experimental try:     


Add a half cup of ground coffee to the filter. Set in measuring cup. Slowly pour three cups of water through filter (it will seep out the filter). Stir grounds gently to get thoroughly wet. Filter shouldn't move or tip. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 12 hours, swirling the water gently at 2-3 hours.


Remove grounds and filter. Store in refrigerator a few days, recovering with fresh plastic wrap.

Determine your own ration of coffee to water and/or milk but most folks suggest one to four or one to three.  That works best for me.  I just put it in the microwave and zap for a few minutes on high and have my latte in my favorite mug!

My two cup measure takes 1/3 coffee concentrate, 1/3 water, 1/3 milk. 
Bonus: To make iced coffee, add ice instead of water to your concentrate. You may want to use a sugar syrup since regular sugar will not dissolve as easily.

PS: I also forgot cold brewing extracts less acid but MORE caffeine. Oops! I was hopping around like a crazed rabbit for a couple days before I remembered. I needed to use less concentrate.

There you go, an alternative to iced tea in the summer! Have you tried iced coffee? Made cold brewed coffee? Or are you still an iced tea person?  

28 comments:

  1. This is a revelation! Less acid, but more caffeine? I'm on it! Thanks for this approach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but be careful. You'll be hopping around like a bunny too. And the flavor is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Who'd a thunk it? Like Piper, I'm in on the caffeine kick! :) Thank you, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, just make sure you use good quality coffee...unless of course all you care about is the caffeine.

      Delete
  3. One of my friends here has a permanent place in her fridge for her cold brewed iced coffee. I think she first got the idea from Pioneer Woman Cooks... but I could be wrong about that. All I know, it makes the BEST iced coffee with a little dulce de leche!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had iced coffee for the first time this season. I was in heaven. I am thinking dulce de leche would put me over into paradise.

      Delete
  4. So, PWC way is to steep it with the grounds, and then strain it through cheese cloth. I think I like Julie's method better, with the tea strainer. Seems like fewer steps and a lot less mess!
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/perfect-iced-coffee/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is actually a thing called a "coffee sock" that is a cheesecloth made permanent filter but you have to constantly wash it. Rinsing out the tea strainer is SO much easier.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, I don't have a tea strainer or a coffee sock, so I'd have to get one of the two. But I have such tea drinkers in this house, I'd have to go for the strainer!

      Delete
    3. Bottom line a strainer is cheaper than that monster cold brew machine by a gazillion.

      Delete
    4. FYI, my strainer holds a cup of ground coffee and I put it in a 4 cup measure. So you need to make sure the size is right.

      Delete
  5. I needed to see this today! My beloved coffee maker went up in smoke and the replacement won't be here for another week. I'm sipping on some hot tea at the moment, but I am missing my coffee. A nice cold-brewed iced coffee sounds lovely! No coffee maker required + extra caffeine? That's a win-win! I've used The Pioneer Woman's method before, but I'm excited to try yours! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I've also been concerned about the plastic/heated water aspect of mine. Maybe it's because of all the talk of BPHs and things getting so disposable but this seems to work on so many levels. AND the cost is reasonable.

      Delete
  6. I'm all over this! Gonna try it this weekend. This is awesome, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, I beat you have some good coffee roasters in your area. I've never paid attention to how coffee is described as having "notes" like wine. But with the bitterness gone, I totally get it. Let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
  7. So, I've never been a coffee drinker. Wow, I can hear the collective gasp way up here!!!!! Not sure if drinking it cold would have converted me. I just don't like the bitter taste -- and the after taste . So I'm a herbal tea gal. (Not even a fan of regular tea). Right now I'm sipping a cup of cranberry app;e that is divine. Smells sooooo good and sweet enough on its own that you don't need to add any sugar. I bet it would make awesome iced tea. I'll have to try that later when it gets hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has a lot to do with genetics. ManO loves the smell but that bitter taste is awful to him.

      I'm a Southern girl so it has to be black pekoe tea, iced, and with enough sugar to stand up the spoon. But I think I like my morning jolt more than an afternoon glass of tea.

      Delete
  8. I love iced lattes! If I make a trip to Starbucks, I drink them iced in the summer and hot in the winter. Since I usually drink only one cup of coffee in the morning, I haven't had a problem with the acid. But I'm glad to know of this method if I ever need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy it also creates a better iced latte at home! But it is a bit more work than the drive thru at Starbucks.

      Delete
  9. Okay, Julie, I don't even drink coffee and still found this intriguing. Even shared it with my husband, who found it somewhat amusing.

    Interesting how the different brewing methods affect the amount of acid. Might have to remember that for my tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to be a loose tea sort of person, hence having a strainer. And I've thought the same thing since tea is just as much of a problem for me.

      Delete
    2. No strainers for me, though I have an array of infusers, since I usually make it by the cup. But yes, loose tea is definitely the way to go and has completely ruined me for most bagged tea. I buy mine by the half kilo from a company in Canada. Love, love, LOVE it!

      Delete
    3. Or maybe you should do it as a post to make the tea people happy!

      Delete
    4. I'll have to revisit my Confessions of a Mad Tea Junkie post. :)

      Metropolitan Tea Company is where I get my tea, however they're wholesale only. My SIL is set up as a distributor, so I place my orders through her. They have pretty much every kind of tea you can imagine.

      Delete
    5. My mind is a tea strainer! But maybe you should.

      Delete
  10. I like iced tea. But, I have tried iced coffee a few times and its pretty good! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of shocked. I am an iced tea lover too but never got iced coffee. Now I do!

      Delete