Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Revisiting a Favorite Warm Weather Dish

Spring is still springing here in Texas, as evidenced by the flooding rains we've had in recent weeks. After a five year drought, I am happy to say that many of our lakes now full and the grass is greener than its been in years. And I haven't had to turn on the sprinkler once.


Best of all, I once again have fresh basil growing on my patio. You know what that means. Soon, I'll be able to enjoy one of my favorite dishes whenever I want.


Typically, a caprese salad is a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese topped with a tomato slice and a basil leaf, drizzled with a little olive oil and sprinkled with some coarse ground black pepper. However, there are times when I want to make a meal of this amazing combination.


First, we need some yummy tomatoes. Like these campari tomatoes. Very tasty.
 
Chop three or four of those babies and tossed them together with some cubed fresh mozzarella. Fresh mozzarella is the kind that comes in a ball, not a brick. Very soft with a mild flavor.
 
Then we'll add some chopped basil, a bit of olive oil, a pinch of sea salt, and some fresh ground pepper. Toss it all up and voila!
A light and refreshing lunch that's not only easy, but oh so delicious.
 
I may have to fix this sooner than later, because my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

What's your favorite warm weather dish?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this dish. I can make myself happy just eating this! It's marvelous! And it's not high-carb, which makes me happier!

    I am just back from a wonderful vacation where spring on a glacier seemed amazing (and no rain! In a rainforest!!!) so I'm excited to see youse!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Ruthy, on making a meal out of this. Definite yum factor.

      Did you have a wonderful trip? Isn't it hard to imagine? A rainforest in Alaska? Only God could do something as mind-boggling as that.

      Welcome back!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this dish. I can make myself happy just eating this! It's marvelous! And it's not high-carb, which makes me happier!

    I am just back from a wonderful vacation where spring on a glacier seemed amazing (and no rain! In a rainforest!!!) so I'm excited to see youse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the caprese salad, but I have a new favorite - watermelon and cucumber salad. Absolutely divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watermelon and cucumber, Edwina? Now that's interesting. Of course, cucumbers don't have a lot of flavor on their own, so I suppose they'd take on the flavor of whatever they're paired with.

      Now if we could just figure out a way to add some protein. :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like something that could become a favorite of mine as well!

    Ruthy, welcome home!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Right through the dog days of summer, Julie. :)

      Delete