Monday, May 18, 2015

Reveling in Amish Quilts!

If you remember last week, I shared a rerun recipe because I was on the road. I'm still on the road this week, but I thought you'd like to see a little bit of what I'm doing.

On Tuesday, I was with my aunts. If you've read "A Mother for His Children," you'll recognize their names: Martha, Waneta and Nancy. Mary was also there - not one of the sisters, but an in-law who is a blessing to the family and my Uncle Jim...and providentially missed growing up in that crazy family :)

Uncle, aunts and a neighbor in their younger days.

On this trip to Middlebury, Indiana (the heart of Indiana's Amish Country), the aunts and I spent some time at The Quilt Shop @ Essenhaus. If you love quilts - especially Amish quilts - this is the place to go!

The proprietor, Roz, was very helpful as we all poured over the antique quilts Nancy and Mary had brought. She helped Nancy choose two of hers to sell in the shop as consignments.


After oohing and aahing over the antique quilts (sorry, no pictures - I was too busy oohing and aahing - but I wish I had taken some!), we browsed through the shop.


Beautiful quilts hang from the rafters of the shop. These are locally made and quilted. And yes, by hand. Gorgeous!


Smaller items like wall hangings are also offered for sale.





Roz and her crew also carry a full line of quilting supplies.

It was a fabulous visit, and made me wish I still had time for quilting!

Someday....someday.....


If you're ever in the Middlebury/Shipshewana area, be sure to stop by Roz's shop. Or you can visit on-line! www.EssenhausQuiltShop.com

9 comments:

  1. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I am so jealous. But especially about the antique quilts. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The antique quilts were fabulous! Mary's collection had fabrics that repeated from quilt to quilt, so we knew the same person had made all of them. And we could date some of the fabrics as pre-Civil War. It was a fun morning of talking quilts!

      Delete
  2. I'm jealous too!!!! I don't think we even have a quilt shop left in my city. We used to have several and I had one right down the street from me. They gave quilting classes and everything. Oh the joy of walking into that store and seeing floor to ceiling fabric in a rainbow of colours. Sheer bliss. And the ladies were so helpful. Picking out the fabrics for a quilt top became a social event -- all the sales people and even the shoppers would join in and help hunt down the best colours and patterns. Sigh -- now I'm homesick for my quilt shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how sad that the store isn't there anymore!

      I love browsing quilt shops, too. But I had to keep reminding myself about the stash of fabrics I have at home, waiting for me to use them.

      I stayed strong. I only bought a small collection of fat quarters :)

      Delete
  3. Those are gorgeous quilts!! What a fun trip.

    Kav, I'm sorry you don't have your shops anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a wonderful trip, filled with quilts, Amish, history and beautiful scenery.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe I left a relatively lengthy comment, and it simply disappeared when I ht 'Publish'. Agh!! I won't repeat it, but those Amish quilts are so beautiful. How wonderful that you got to make the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool, Jan! I will stop there if and when I'm out that way. I love browsing through quilts! And the ones here are "fancier" than the standard ones that Amish use, aren't they? Just gorgeous works of art!

    ReplyDelete

  6. So Lovely!!!(❤´艸`❤)
    Hey╭( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ I'm new here~~Play Archeage?Follow 2archeage

    Archeage Gold ------ Cheap Archeage Gold

    ReplyDelete