Friday, May 29, 2015

Leftover Lunchmeat?? Try This!

Missy, here. We had my daughter's graduation last week and a house full of family here to celebrate with us. What fun!! But when everyone left and all the dust cleared, I had a ton of thin sliced ham and turkey left over.

What to do?? My friend Lindi suggested making something like chipped beef and gravy. Voila! Great idea!




Melt 3 TBS of butter in the skillet.



Add 3 TBS flour. You can adjust the amount, just keep them equal. Stir and let bubble for a few minutes to "cook off" the flour taste. Let it brown if you want a brown gravy.


Yes, that's a Christmas spatula in May. LOL

Add the milk. I always eyeball this. Don't get too much, or it won't thicken enough. Season with salt and pepper.




While it simmered, I chopped the ham and turkey.



Add to the gravy until heated through.



Serve over biscuits or toast. YUM! Notice the paper plate? Yes, I'm all about practicality when I have 12 people here for the weekend! :)

Did any of you grow up eating chipped beef and gravy?

9 comments:

  1. I would have never thought of that! I've never had chipped beef and gravy. I know it exists, but if I have chipped beef, I make dip for rye bread because it love it more than life itself... I could sit down and eat a whole plate of rye bread and dip. I am an addict and I need an intervention!

    Missy, this looks great and easy! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I want to try rye bread and dip! You'll have to share the recipe. :)

      Delete
  2. We lived on chipped beef and gravy growing up. What a great idea!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I have Lindi Peterson to thank. Otherwise I would have been eating a gazillion more sandwiches. :)

      Delete
  3. We never had chipped beef and gravy often enough for me! It was the go-to meal when the grocery budget was especially tight for my parents.

    But I love it! The biggest question is - do you serve it over toast or over biscuits? My children say biscuits are the only way to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if I want it quickly, I use toast. But this time I had leftover biscuits from where I made biscuits and gravy for breakfast one morning. :) (Don't be too impressed. Both biscuits and gravy were frozen!) :)

      Delete
  4. My sister makes the most amazing sausage and gravy over biscuits, but I never try and make it because I know I won't duplicate it. Hmmm... but THIS looks like something I could do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia, sausage gravy is my very favorite. I make it at Christmas and for other special breakfasts. You could do it! It's easy.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete