Saturday, April 25, 2015

Chicken Potato Gnocchi

Hi everybody! The Fresh Pioneer is here and I have a delicious recipe passed to me by my sweet friend of the German apple cake fame. (Or the ludefisk fame, if we want to be more recent.) 
I'll be spending the weekend all twitterpated in anticipation of seeing Stephen Amell at a private party on Saturday. (If you don't know who he is, here's a link to the promo for Arrow, season 3, they've already wrapped but still has a few episodes to air.) The party should have some yummy food, great wine, and a special screening. I'm really new to Tv watching in general and script writing in particular so it's going to be interesting to meet people in person that I've only known on twitter or tumblr. It's my first screening type shindig so I'm curious to see what goes down. 
So, to celebrate (and because she knows I'll be trying on my entire closet instead of cooking ) Stacey made potato chicken gnocchi dish and sent me all the pics. BEST FRIEND EVER. Warm, filling, and nourishing.
So, I'm turning the cafe over to Stacey!

 This was my first time cooking potato chicken gnocchi. This week felt like a good time to try out a new recipe. Let's get started:

2 pounds chicken breasts after cooking, cut into about 2 inch cubes
2-3 cans of chicken broth
1/3 cup butter, divided
baby carrots diced or 3 carrots shredded
3 celery stalks finely chopped
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1-2 teaspoons parsley
1-2 teaspoons thyme
1 Tablespoon ground pepper
1-2 Teaspoon salt
1-2 small sweet onions finely chopped ( I used 1 big one it was plenty)
1-2 garlic cloves ( or about 2 teaspoons garlic salt, and adjust the salt above)
1/3 cup flour
1/2 chopped spinach leaves
1 package-16 ounces- of potato gnocchi
 Start by browning chicken in 3 tablespoons (unsalted is ok) butter. Remove and keep warm.
In another pot, saute the onion, carrot, celery whisk in flour and garlic (I didn't have garlic on hand so I used garlic salt) and remaining butter.
 Gradually stir in the heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, thyme, parsley, olive oil, and pepper.
Bring to just a boil. Stir Constantly
Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. If too thick add another can of chicken broth.
   
Add the entire package of gnocchi and finally the spinach; cook for about 3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Add the chicken. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through do not boil!

  Serve with your favorite toast and espresso. I also have to say I made about 3 quarts and it was all gone the second day. Hope you enjoy!

 Thanks for sharing, Stacey! Happy weekend, everybody!
 

7 comments:

  1. Stacey, thank you for sharing this! It's very similar to my creamed chicken recipe, but with gnocchi, and I wouldn't have thought of that! Awesome twist!

    Virginia have fun with whatever you're doing, and now I've never heard of Arrow, but it's delightful to spread our wings and dabble now and again. Today I'm dabbling in grandchildren, I've gotten my 1500 words done, and we're buying new kitchen appliances out of grave (no pun intended) necessity, not choice... And then tomorrow afternoon I get to see my beautiful breast cancer survivor buddy Lisa (The Lawman's Second Chance) in a fashion show of survivors! Can't wait to cheer her and the other survivors on. We are so blessed in this country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *waving to lisa*
      OOoh, you have to share all about your new appliances. This is a cooking blog and we want to know all the details!
      Dinner is prepped, I decided on an outfit, and now there's just a Little League game, a friend coming to make apple sauce, and checking in with two of my kids who are on a trip. Then I shall go and be social!
      Oh, wait... must remember shoes. *makes note*

      Delete
  2. I'm not an Arrow follower either, but have fun at the ....whatever kind of party it is, Virginia! I'll have to pass on the recipe, though it does look scrumptious. Just not vegetarian friendly. LOL. I'm passing it on to a few friends though. Happy weekend everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a party party! LOL. Honestly, I have no idea what it is. I've never been to one. I know there's food, so I'm going.
      KIDDING!
      Food, wine, music, people. And a private screening of something filmed. Other than that... I'm just excited to see people in real life that I'm friends with over e-mail and the phone and online ! Whoohoo!

      Delete
  3. P.S. It occurs to me to say TONS of romance writers on twitter discuss Arrow because it follows the classic romance hero's journey and has a great heroine! If you're a writer, it seems like you can't get away from Arrow talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so bummed I missed this over the weekend! It looks fabulous! Many, many thanks to Stacey for sharing it!

    And I've never heard of Arrow. I'll have to look into it.

    So tell us, Virginia, HOW DID THE PARTY GO????

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry I didn't make it by on Saturday! I was shopping literally all day with my daughter for prom shoes and college bedding. (I'll be sharing that on Friday). :)

    Stacey, thank you of sharing! This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete