Friday, March 6, 2015

Steak…It's What's for a Quick Dinner

Missy, here (with apologies to our vegetarians). Last week when it was too cold to grill, I had a craving for a nice ribeye steak. So I decided to make it like I've seen on cooking shows on Food Network. And it's quick and easy! Perfect for Speedbo month!

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If you're going to roast some veggies (see photo at the end), then put them in about 10-15 minutes before you start the steaks.

First, I've learned to splurge on a good cut when I'm really craving steak. I used to buy chuck steak, but this time I went for a ribeye. Let the meat come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. You can prep the veggies during this time (as well as pre-heat the oven). Then pat the steaks dry with a paper towel (important for getting a nice sear on it).


Season both sides generously with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Or use Montreal Steak Seasoning that I love.


Heat an oven-proof skillet on medium-high. Once it's hot, add some butter and olive oil.


Put steaks in hot skillet and sear for about 2-4 minutes on each side, depending on how thick they are. You want them nicely seared but not done all the way through.


Then pop the skillet into the pre-heated oven. Cook until desired doneness. You can check with a meat thermometer. I checked by feel. I think I cooked them about 6 to 7 minutes in the oven. And they were actually a little doner than my husband likes. But perfect for me! :)


I had the steak on the top rack and the veggies on the bottom. Everything was done together! 


It's a quick, easy meal for a busy week.


www.missytippens.com

11 comments:

  1. LOL...well, the veggies look good. Think I'll bake me a potato for supper tonight. And instead of steak I'll have a veggie burger...doesn't that sound grand? Better than steak? Okay, no, I get that you wouldn't think so...Bwahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! Well, actually, I LOVE veggie burgers!! I get them at restaurants a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only problem with veggie burgers is they put corn often in Black Bean burgers. I am too lazy to make my own. Sigh.

      But I love a good steak. Folks don't realize how easy they are to cook.

      Delete
    2. Julie, I'm surprised they don't make some frozen ones without corn. It would tough to make them homemade.

      Delete
  3. That is a perfect low-carb meal!!!! Missy, I love it! It's Friday here, so we're going to the Lenten Fish Fry at St. Mark's Church to support their fundraiser... and because those Knights of Columbus do a great job manning the fryers! I love going to local things like this... chicken barbecues in the summer/fall, festivals, fish fries, pulled pork wagons... It brings that small town/Americana theme to life for me! And yes, book fodder along with great food! #happyauthor!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, you and I could be neighbors and buds if I moved east or you moved west! I love local things, too.

      The Stock Show, neighborhood garage sales, the dog park - all places to meet neighbors and be part of the community. And in the summer, our community expands to include hundreds of thousands of new friends. It's not-so-small-town, but watching visitors from around the world see Mt. Rushmore for the first time is about as Americana as it gets.

      Delete
    2. Ruthy, that sounds so yummy!!

      Jan, I want see that some day

      Delete
  4. We're refilling our freezer sometime in the next week (waiting on the phone call from the butcher to tell us our steer is ready).

    I usually save the steaks for grilling season, but when we buy a half rather than a quarter, that's a lot of steaks! I hate to cut them up to make stew (although they're pretty tasty that way), so I'm going to have to try this.

    My family will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice treat in winter. Or course I've grilled in the winter, too. But my my grill died.

      Delete