Friday, May 9, 2014

A Colorful Salad! And Bible study by Priscilla Shirer.

Missy Tippens, here. It seems like every time I turn around, I'm getting to enjoy attending some type of luncheon. At the end of each Bible study workbook. At Christmas and in the spring for my United Methodist Women Circle. And other group celebrations.

Each time, I find a new recipe to love! Last week, at the end of our recent Bible study, we had our regular covered dish lunch. I have a new recipe to share with you.

Oh, what Bible study, you ask? :) We studied Gideon: Your weakness. God's STRENGTH. From Priscilla Shirer (BTW, Priscilla is INCREDIBLE. What a gifted study leader and speaker!)

Okay, back to food. First, look at this yummy idea to add sliced olives to deviled eggs. YUM.


And then look at how pretty this cake is!



And now, the main thing I wanted to share… This recipe is from Mace, my friend who has the beautiful garden I showed you in a recent post. As soon as we finished eating, I went around to discover who had made my favorite dishes and typed their recipes into my phone's Notes app! :) I have another salad recipe to share on a future blog post that includes Fritos Corn Chips. Yep, in a salad. :)

 Mace's Carrot Salad
2 lbs carrots, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped or cut in strips
1 medium sweet onion, chopped

Boil carrots 10 minutes

Dressing:
1 can tomato soup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp yellow mustard
1 cup sugar or Splenda mix
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup vinegar

Toss with carrots and marinate overnight.

The results are a beautiful, colorful salad. And SO tasty! Mace made it with the Splenda baking mix (Splenda mixed with real sugar) and it was delicious.




7 comments:

  1. Tomato soup in a salad dressing?! I would never have thought of that. This does sound good and looks easy. I think I may become a salad connoisseur this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Kav! I was so surprised! It didn't really taste tomatoey. I actually thought it had ginger in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want the eggs and cake! I think I'd be picking off the olive and eating it first then eating the egg..I'm kind of a deviled egg purist HA! and as much as I love them I usually scrape the filling so it's level with the rest of the egg- don't like a bunch of the filling - just enough to taste. never been a fan of yolks except scrambled dry and deviled..finally got to where I can take them in fried eggs if they're broken and distributed throughout the egg...sigh...

    this carrot stuff sounds kinda interesting..I'd have to try it for a quilt sew-in or something since it'd probably be too much for me to eat by myself.

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, I'm with you. I like the egg white the best. :) But I do love olives with just about anything!

      Yeah, you could make this for a group. It's a good sized bowl.

      Delete
  4. I hope you have leftovers because I am on my way over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually cheated and took the photo at the luncheon! So I haven't made it yet. :)

      Delete
  5. This looks so good! The colors are fabulous, and it looks so springy and tasty.

    Just let Tina and I know when you make it. We'll plan a road trip.

    ReplyDelete