Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Party treats: chocolate covered frozen bananas

Hellooooo everybody! The Fresh Pioneer is back and I've got a quick, simple, and tasty treat!

  We're almost birthday'd out here. From April through September, we have a birthday every month. Sometimes twice a month! Then there's Hallowe'en, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. THEN we have a birthday in January, one in February... then we start ALL OVER!!! Big families rock the birthdays. Especially the way we stretched them out for birthday weeks.
 
 
This last week was a 12 year old's birthday, including the water park and a BBQ.
You see that major hunk out of the cake? This is what happens when I start cutting and then realize we'd bought special sparkler candles!!! Stop the CUTTING! Take that cake out of your mouth! We must SING!
 Small boys getting a treat at the snack bar. Love those tube rings. They look like ballerinas.
Here's another birthday child. I haven't seen his face since he got this snorkel for his 8th birthday. (Yes, that was this year. But it was about a week ago. I'm getting used to hearing his voice through a tube.)
 I went to my first book club meeting for Pride, Prejudice, and Cheese Grits. What an incredible group of readers! We had such a good time! And of course, the meal was ALL SOUTHERN.
They even had sweet tea to go with the red velvet cake! I had a blast... and ate everything in sight.
And then I stopped by a yard sale and picked up this SWEET hobnail milk glass tea cup set. It was perfect for my mint chocolate chip ice cream. And of course I can have all the ice cream I want because we're in BIRTHDAY MODE!

Ok, so we've had a lot of fun guests lately but after a while, cake gets old and the kids want something different. We found a fun recipe on the internet. Here we go:
You'll need bananas, peanut butter, and some good chocolate.

 
 Employ hungry children to slice bananas. Wait, not the hungry ones. They eat too much. Only the ones who can keep from putting the nanners in their mouths.
 Add a think layer of peanut butter between two banana slices.
 MMMMMMMMMMM. That is all.
 Cover the bananas and you can decorate the tops with tiny chocolate chips or sprinkles.
 Freeze. Yes, we live in a warm climate but it's not humid. This may not work where you live. But my freezer did okay!
 Pop off the sheet and put them on the cake platter!
 YUM. We must taste test before the guests.
Um, yeah. Not sure who this weirdo is. He sort of looks like me, but I'm not owning him!
 
And finally, a photo of 'Big Bob'. This is our foot-wide sunflower. Isn't he beautiful???? He's taken over the kitchen.

Ok, hope everyone is having a wonderful week and I'll see you all next Wednesday! Edna says hellloooooooooo!

18 comments:

  1. LOL thought they looked ballerina-ish myself at first! :-) and that plate doesn't look quite southern - should have a huge slab of meat and gravy over everything - no plate showing! ;-) must be fun to do birthday weeks. we had parties when I was little then it turned to an aunt and uncle and cousin might come over after supper to having gifts and a meal we picked (within reason) and gifts to card with money and maybe another gift at breakfast and a kiss...miss it now with my parents gone.

    I like your tea cups!

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was little we got to pick our favorite dinner (right, within reason). And when we have birthday week, it just means that birthday person gets to choose. So, if it's popsicles or ice cream, birthday person chooses. Which movie to watch on Saturday? Birthday person chooses! Go to the drive in or go to the pool? Birthday person chooses! So, it's more like they're king/queen for the week and a lot fewer chores. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds good!
      Susanna

      Delete
    2. I love the idea of being queen for the week. Must adopt that here!

      Delete
  3. Hellloooooo right back at Edna. So kind of you to give her a vacay this week. :-) This banana peanut butter chocolate concoction is uber cool. Perfect for nasty hot humid days since I can put them in the freezer. Yum.

    Love all the pictures -- you are one madcap family!!!!!

    And Big Bob is impressive. I've never managed to grow sunflowers. Got close once...the flower was out and then poof in one day it was carted off by squirrels. The whole thing, well they left the stem. So not fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They took it before there were seeds? how odd! We grow ours to feed the birds and my husband was a little outraged that I cut this before it could go to seed. :D

      Delete
  4. These look super! My mother-in-law loves frozen bananas...I may have to make these in her honor :)

    When my husband was growing up (8 children in the family), the birthday child didn't have to do dishes, and could watch anything they wanted on TV (one TV, 10 people - whoever got to watch what they wanted otherwise?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true for our family too! Made me laugh reading it!

      Delete
    2. The little kids usually rule the day around here so birthday week is a big deal! The movie they choose doesn't have to be by Pixar.... but it usually is...

      Delete
  5. What great photos! Virginia, it must be fun to live in your home. Can I come live with you???

    :)

    Yum on the banana peanut butter "sandwiches" dipped in chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Missy, we have people say that all the time.

      I never believe them.

      Or if they're sincere, I doubt it would be fun for more than a week. Like the zoo, it's fun to visit but you wouldn't want to stay there.

      Except for us animals. We like our zoo-home.

      Delete
  6. Adorable pix, Virginia. Though I can't help but ask, what does Edna think of Big Bob? I mean, he's quite an impressive specimen of flower.

    I remember eating chocolate covered frozen bananas as a kid, but that was a looooong time ago. I do love peanut butter with my bananas, though. And the chocolate, well that's just a bonus. Might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll put more peanut butter in the middle because I love PB and with all that chocolate it seemed to disappear. I'm also not a real banana fan, so maybe I'll just skip that part. Maybe I'll just dip chocolate hunks in the PB and call it good, hahaha!

      Delete
  7. Yum, yum. YUM!!!Thanks for the fun dessert idea. So pretty on a plate.

    I personally want to come and rummage sale hunt with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you'd be the only one! My kids groan when I see a sign. "I'll jut be a minute!" I say.

      Okay, maybe five minutes. I have it down to a science. Go for the glass and anything vintage. Okay, and shiny. I like shiny.

      Delete
  8. I love chocolate covered bananas and I never thought of doing it like this!!!!

    Oh, what a wonderful thing to have in the freezer!!!!!

    I'm so psyched!!!!!!

    I can picture the kids groaning in the car.... And that just makes me laugh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally getting here. I am allergic to bananas so must find a substitute. Looks so yummy.

    Maybe I will just take your adorable children home with me for a week instead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, hahahaha! Julie, I like you too much for that. :)

    ReplyDelete