Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Nothin' Here Either

As Ruthy said, "To cook that is. I've been BUSY!"
 
Like my counterpart, I've got a book releasing very soon.
(I'm so excited I get to share September's shelf space with Ruthy! What an honor.)

Lately I find myself having to do things I never really considered before. Probably because I wasn't published. Now I'm trying to navigate the slippery slope of self-promotion--press releases went out, bookmarks and other promo materials were ordered, book signings scheduled.... Definitely not part of my norm.

Next week I will be blogging from beautiful Ouray, Colorado, which happens to be where The Doctor's Family Reunion takes place. I'll be doing a little bit of promo, some research for future books and, of course, enjoying some magnificent Belgian chocolate from Mouse's Chocolates.
(Yes, it's a gratuitous chocolate picture)
 
But while I'm indulging, my men will be making due with frozen pizzas and grilled cheese. Hmm...maybe I should take some time this weekend and fill the freezer. Maybe a Mexican Casserole (click here for the recipe) or Chicken and Rice (recipe here).
 
Well, we'll see how that pans out.
 
In addition to all this fun, ACFW conference is only a month away and I have 25K words to complete in three weeks!
 
Sounds like I'm whining, doesn't it? Please don't take it that way, because I couldn't be more thrilled. ('Cept for the part about my guys starving.)
 
Now I have some questions for you.
 
Are you going to ACFW Conference?
 
For those of you who are published, what's your approach to self-promotion (I know, we're not promoting ourselves, we're promoting our books)? Does it make you uneasy or do you embrace it?
 
If you're not published, do you ever consider how you'll one day address your self-promotion?
 
Even if you're not a writer, there are times when you can be busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger. How do you keep your family fed and happy? 


9 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you, Mindy!!!! And guess what? I have your book in my TBR pile!!!! Yay!!!! It's keeping Ruthy's company. I love that cover!!! I'm so full of exclamation marks today!!!!! Towering TBR piles make me happy!!!!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure know how to make a girl's day, Kav. I'm honored to be in you TBR pile. :)

      Delete
  2. Kav, I look forward to getting my copy as well!

    Mindy, that chocolate looks amazing. I hope you have a great time at the book signing!! I know you'll have a wonderful visit to Ouray.

    I'll look forward to seeing you at the ACFW conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing you, too. The only downside to going to Ouray is that it's always too short a trip. Really looking forward to the cooler temps, though.

      Delete
  3. First of all, I also had a book come out with one of Ruthy's - back in May. Is there something here that we're all missing? Not that I'm complaining about multiple Ruthy books, but we can all learn from her discipline, can't we?

    Second, no conference for me this year :( I'll miss you all.

    Third, I thought I did okay on promotion...but after reading through your list, I can see there are a few things I missed! Next time!

    and now to your question of the day....

    I've learned to let my guys fend for themselves. Now that the youngest is almost 20, they like it better that way.

    Easy-peasy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when Ruthy has a book has a book coming out like every other month, it's inevitable we'll share a release. But definitely, Jan, we can learn from her.

      Delete
  4. I can't keep up with all the books :-( just feeling overwhelmed- I'm still behind on Mia's series (actually forgot which book is next and every time I look it up I forget again..sigh...and I have them on my ereader.somewhere...) still have Ruthy's and gosh realized some other pre-orders have already downloaded (I've had a hot cowboy waiting and didn't realize!) and another series I read practically non-stop and now the final book just came out last night at midnight...was reading library ebooks and in the middle it returned! that's how far behind I am...

    Jan I added yours to my ebook wishlist on amazon - I don't usually read historical and never amish but I have to say it sounds interesting enough I think I might give it a try! will probaby end up getting it tonight at work when I get bored- try to save my shopping for the long hours of night shift LOL! will like at Mindy's too though I'm really not a fan of secret baby (I always feel sorry for the kid!) but hey it's real life so gotta woman up and deal huh?
    I never thought I'd see the day I'd want to tell authors to 'slow down'! and when's Missy's next one? think the last one was the one about the preacher- really liked that one - good heroine though I think I've liked all th heroines better than the heroes! but this one was up there with that one with the rich family who liked living on her own and took in smartaleck runaway girls..she was cool too.

    I don't have anyone to worry about feeding except myself and dog but the times my mom had classes after work we managed at home- I'd usually start the meal and my mom would finish when she came in, I'd do the whole thing or my dad would help, or we'd do something simple like sandwiches or my dad's fave- heat up a can of Wolf chili..my friend's ex-hubby always liked the frozen convenience stuff you nuke - pizza, pizza rolls, burritos and was a huge drive-thru king...

    off to night shift.blech.

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed, Susanna. Reading should not stress you out. But we so appreciate your support:)

      Delete
    2. LOL never thought I'd be overwhelmed with reading but 20 must read books at the same time and no time to read ain't a pretty sight!
      Susanna

      Delete