Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bisquick to the Rescue

Well, it's hot in Texas. No newsflash there. After all, it is August and, as I've already mentioned, this is Texas. That meant Sunday was just a little lazier than usual. So as I struggled to come up with something relatively easy, yet meaty, for dinner, I thought of a recipe I'd seen on the Bisquick box.

Don't know if you've ever tried their Ultimate Chicken Fingers before, but they were pretty doggone tasty. No leftovers, if that tells you anything.

For this you're going to need:
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about a pound)
  • 2/3 cup Bisquick
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. salt or garlic salt (I went with the garlic salt)
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
Heat your oven to 450 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.

In a 1-gallon zip-top bag, mix the Bisquick, cheese, salt, and paprika.
Now you're ready to assemble.
(okay, who left the pantry door open?)
 
Dip a portion of the chicken strips into the egg and then place them in the bag. Seal the bag and shake to coat. (I doubled the recipe, however I think I tripled the meat.)
 
Place the chicken on the foil-covered cookie sheet.
Repeat to use up remaining chicken.
Drizzle butter over chicken.
(If I hadn't been so lazy, I would have spread these out onto two pans)
 
Bake 12-14 minutes, turning halfway through bake time, until no longer pink in center.
 
See, easy peasy.
 
Of course, I needed a kickin' sauce to go with these tasty nuggets.
And that was easy too.
Matter of fact, here's all you need.

Ranch dressing and some chipotle peppers. How kickin' you make it, is up to you, though.
I simply added a little bit of adobo sauce (that's what the chipotles are packed in) and minced up one chipotle and stirred it into about a half cup of dressing. Actually I started with a half a pepper and my husband complained it had no kick, so I had to add the other half and it was still mild enough for me.
 
So this has been a week of learning to be disciplined in my writing. Do y'all struggle with your internal editor? If so, how do you handle that bossy so-and-so?

17 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of this!!!! Mindy, I must try these!!!

    Internal editor????

    Well, that depends. If she makes sense, I listen to her because I can see the light bulb blink ON!!!! But if it's just old self-doubt rearing its head, I kick it to the curb. My theory is this: Writing is ALWAYS better than not writing. You have nothing to sell or edit or market if you don't write... so even something you scrap is a learning experience.

    That builds us as authors/writers/friends because we've all gone through it.

    Muscle on, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice, Ruthy. As always. Well, mostly:P

      Delete
    2. HAHAHAHA!

      Even when my advice is good, it's often wrong, LOL!

      Delete
  2. YUM! these look good!

    I don't have an internal editor so sorry no help there unless it's like the 'internal voice that says I need to clean house' now THAT I can help you with - just think of something else! :-)

    Susanna who wishes the internal voice that says 'buy that antique quilt' would shhhh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that internal voice is different, Susanna, though I think we all have one of those. Mine likes to talk me into all kinds of stuff I know I shouldn't do/buy. Wish they made internal duck tape. :)

      Delete
    2. Susanna, I've passed beautiful quilts in Amish country and keep slapping my hands thinking of folks who have no blankets... and how many blankets would those hundreds buy????

      But I love 'em, too!!!!!

      Delete
  3. These look so easy...and I know I have a box of Bisquick in the pantry. I bought it for another recipe, and it's just sitting there, languishing (or going bad - you can never tell when pantry items are going to turn delinquent).

    Internal editor? I'm with Ruthy. Sometimes I listen because she comes up with something worthwhile occasionally.

    But when I'm just getting that first draft down? I tell her to hold her horses because she'll have her turn.

    There was a great post on Seekerville last year about turning off your IE. I was working on a first draft at the time, so I drew a picture of my IE on an index card, put it in an envelope, sealed it, and (virtually) sent her on a vacation to Fiji. Every time she tried to rear her head, I'd just look at that envelope and say, "you aren't here, so be quiet."

    I got that first draft written, and am working on the edits now. So my IE has plenty of material to work with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that idea, Jan. Although, I think I might be more apt to send mine someplace like Siberia. Fiji is for me, not my IE. :)

      Delete
    2. I sent her somewhere she'd like so she wouldn't be in any hurry to come back :)

      Delete
  4. There is gluten free Bisquick. It might be worth buying for this recipe!

    I edited my voice out. Bad internal editor. But I am learning! Part of it is writing for fun the first draft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first draft fun? At times, I suppose. Today is not one of those days, Julie. However, it beats not writing at all. :)

      Delete
    2. I love the first draft. Because then I have something to work with. Until it's done, it's kind of skeletal... but then we fatten it up!

      Clearly I'm starving to death here and analogizing everything to FOOD!!!!

      Delete
  5. No frying!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks SOOO good! I have to try this...

    ReplyDelete