Saturday, May 4, 2013

Hawaiian Hospitality



My friends know I love Hawaii. Man O, my hubby, works there on a semi-regular basis. 

We have been back more recently but we love this picture of our 30th anniversary celebration in Maui.

From the first time I went along on a business trip, I loved the people, the different beauty of each island, and the food.  A blend of native, Japanese, Chinese, Pacific Rim, and more, I never had trouble finding something to eat. Why? Much of the food was rice based or thickened with tapioca. But more importantly, people accommodated my needs with such grace.


When we visited Maui, we stayed at a gorgeous bed and breakfast, the Old Wailuku Inn, run by a native Hawaiian family.  The inn is considered the most truly Hawaiian bed and breakfast on Maui. Every room was decorated in colorful Hawaiian quilts (yes, quilting is big in Hawaii!) and local antiques and art. 




I emailed ahead to share my allergies but figured I'd be eating scrambled eggs while everyone else ate the banana pancakes featured one morning. Yep, I am allergic to bananas along with wheat and corn. But the owner sat a plate down in front of me. Light, fluffy pancakes made with rice flour and topped with macadamia nuts and passion fruit! I almost fainted. I got to share the experience of slathering on coconut syrup and diving in like everyone else around the table. She didn’t take the easy way out but made the experience special for me. Mahalo, “thank you” in Hawaiian. I said it a lot that morning.


My "silver dollar" version with mango, on my Hawaiian apron showing the monarchs and hula festival that takes place in Hilo on the Big Island each year.


Here is the innkeeper’s recipe with the interesting touch of beating the egg white to peak and then adding for additional fluff.  Saturdays are made for shortcuts but this step really makes a difference!  Pamela's GF Baking and Pancake mix is a good alternative if you can't find rice flour.

Old Wailuku Inn Pancakes

1 cup rice flour (or other flour)

2 T sugar

1 T baking powder

    Sift all dry ingredients well before going on.

1 egg separated

    beat egg whites to peak

    beat yellow

1 T melted butter or margarine

1/8 t vanilla add to yellow of egg (optional)

1 cup water (make judgement as you mix)

¼ cup banana (optional)


Mix ingredients except egg whites.  Fold egg whites into mixture. Put two tablespoons of oil in skillet and cook in small batches on medium low heat.


Top with whatever tropical fruits and nuts you can get: macadamia nuts, coconut, pineapple, mango or banana slices. The fruit grows in almost every yard in Hawaii and can be found in most mainland grocery stores.


To make your own coconut syrup: Heat one can coconut milk (the real stuff) with one cup sugar until dissolved. Cool. Serve over pancakes.

23 comments:

  1. Oh, WOW!! I love this!!

    And I just love that bed and breakfast owner for doing this. How awesome. Really making the effort made your stay so memorable.

    I had a vague idea of quilts being big in Hawaii, but until I saw that picture, I'd forgotten it! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. That woman will be on my list of wonderful people forever. Plus they were having a family health crisis at the time. You would have never known it.

      The quilts in Hawaii are truly gorgeous. But the really wonderful ones you never see. They are kept by families and are considered almost sacred objects.

      Delete
    2. James Michener's Hawaii is one of my favorite books.... I love the rich history, following the fictional families as they matured to modern times.... that quilt is swoon-worthy!!! Julie, I love it! And I'm just smiling to see how nicely that innkeeper made your stay.... That "above and beyond" is just marvelous!

      Aloha!

      Delete
    3. Ruth, this last time we were there we ran into a man trying to get through Michener's book while there. He was having difficulties. Duh, you need to experience the islands while you are there, save the books for later!

      Mahalo!

      Delete
  2. The inn owner was so thoughtful! The pancakes sound great, but I love the sound of that syrup! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it, Piper. It also works great on ice cream!

      Peace, Julie

      Delete
  3. Welcome Julie!! We're so glad you'll be hanging out with us, sharing recipes and such on Saturdays!

    This sounds so good!!! I'll definitely be making the coconut syrup to go along with whatever pancakes or waffles I make. Sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. And it is so much better for you, ahem, than the fake stuff.

      Delete
    2. You know, I might use your coconut syrup recipe to blend my milk topping drench for the coconut version of Tres Leches Cake.... Julie, I love you!!!

      Delete
    3. Oh, sounds marvelous. Love you back. And love Alex Steele too. But I know he is taken!

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm, your whole trip sounds wonderful, and what a hostess at your B&B!

    I have fresh maple syrup in the fridge (from northern Indiana), but I think I'll have to look for some coconut syrup, too. I love coconut anything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I am a big coconut fan. Macaroons, crusted mahi mahi, muesli. Even Man O, who doesn't like nuts, likes his mother's coconut pie.

      Delete
  5. Yummy, yummy, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a total coco nut myself. This was great Julie dear. You look so cute in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If it were up to me, coconut would be on the menu every day. Man O says that is a little nutty.

      Delete
  7. Okay, so printer-friendly recipes on blogger? How cool is that???

    Maybe you all talked about that before but I've been lost in the land of state testing so I missed a lot.

    Add me in to the coconut-aholics. Love coconut anything! My daughter found me a healthier, homemade version of Starbucks Coconut Mocha Frappuccino. I can't wait for it to be warm enough to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tried the button myself. The ladies here are techno wizards.

      And it is only warm enough down here for hot chocolate!

      Delete
    2. It's a really cool gadget I found! Very easy to install!

      Delete
  8. Well, to be the voice of reason, I don't love coconut, never have!! But the inn owner won me over. I would have eaten that with glee. Sweetness all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pioneer Woman can't stand bananas. I think we should all do one post on the ingredient we will never ever use...and then make something that wins us over.

      Delete
    2. LOL, great idea, Julie! I'll have to do liver. :)

      Delete
  9. How nice your hostess was to take care of you like that! Your recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She won my heart and the number one spot on my "how good is my B and B?" scale.

      Delete