Friday, November 16, 2012

Taco Time!

Missy Tippens, here. I'm sorry to post late! Went to a movie tonight and remembered the post on the way home. :)

I wanted to share the tacos we made spur of the moment the other night. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that I haven't shared tacos before since it's something we have every so often! So, here goes...


I usually keep a taco kit in the pantry that has soft and hard shells. I love crunchy. My kids like both. And hubby likes soft. So that makes everyone happy! I also usually have a pack of ground beef in the freezer, but this night I didn't. Lo and behold, I did have a pound of ground pork! I also grabbed a package of taco seasoning since the kit didn't contain any.

I browned the pork using my Pampered Chef gadget for breaking it up nicely.


It's not as brown and crispy as beef, but it looked pretty good with the spices in there.



While the pork cooked, I baked the crunchy shells in the oven. And heated the soft ones in the microwave.


Then I pulled out all the extras: Lettuce, cheese, sour cream and salsa.

I usually use grated cheddar, but I was out. So I used the sliced cheddar and stuck a strip in each taco. :)
Then we doctored them with the salsa, etc.


I snapped a shot of my hubby's soft tacos as he was about to eat his first bite. His looked much healthier than mine did (all drowned in sour cream!)


Then I snapped a shot of mine (with the salsa and lettuce buried inside). It looks like all meat!



Then I halted my son's eating so you could get a closeup shot that'll make your mouth water. :)


The pork turned out really good. It was our version of carnitas! I think I liked them even better than I do when using ground beef. For our vegetarians, just use some soy crumbles! They turn out yummy, too.

17 comments:

  1. Looks great, Missy. We always had Taco Tuesday when the kids were growing up, but they didn't like the ground beef so we used red kidney beans instead. Hubby likes the beef.

    This might sound weird, but I was trying to cut the sodium in my tacos last week, so after serving hubby his, I diluted my sauce to practically nothing but then added a smidgen of ketchup. I melted the cheddar cheese on top. Wow! It was terrific. You probably get a similar taste from the salsa, but I've never put that in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary - did I read that right? Your kids chose kidney beans over ground beef?

      Mine have just recently stopped sorting the beans out of their chili.

      Delete
    2. WEIRD!!!!! We had taco Tuesday, too!!!

      Delete
    3. Mary, I like the ketchup idea! Or salsa. I just love tomato-y things. :) And I love the bean idea as well. Would probably try black beans. I love them in burritos.

      Delete
  2. I love tacos for a quick and easy meal! We usually have them about once a week during the summer - soup takes their place in the colder months - but I've never made them with ground pork. Sounds delicious!

    Because of my sensitivity to MSG, I make my own taco seasoning mix. I use about 3 Tablespoons chili powder, 2 Tablespoons cumin, 1 teaspoon oregano and about 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. I brown the ground beef with some diced onion, then add the spices with a cup or so of tomato sauce. If you don't have the packaged seasoning mix on hand, it's an easy substitute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WEIRD!!!!! JAN, I have an MSG allergy, too!!!

      Ok, I'm going to wig out if the next comment has something in common with me.

      Delete
  3. Hey! I'm at the middle school for career day today! Talking to small groups of 6th, 7th and 8th graders--almost 800 total! Will check in on comments later. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WEIRD!!! I'm at a middle -- Nah. I'm not.

      *whew* I got worried there.

      Love that you're talking at a career day. My daughter would flip out if she got to hear an author speak to kids. not me. I'm the mom.

      Delete
    2. Ginny-Lou, you are so weird.

      (And when I tell my children that, they're standard reply is "thank you")

      Delete
    3. Arggh. "their" NOT "they're".

      I didn't have my nap today.

      Delete
    4. My kids are in high school or older now. But when I used to go when they were in middle school, they didn't get too embarrassed. :)

      Delete
  4. Missy,

    Sounds delicious! And I love that breaking up tool for the meat. I must not have enough Pampered Chef in my world. Hope that you enjoy career day and congrats to your nephew! You must be so proud!

    Piper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Piper!! We're so excited for him. :) Virginia, our nephew is Buster Posey who plays for the San Francisco Giants. He was named as the National League MVP last night!!

      Jan, we went to the opening night of Twilight--Breaking Dawn 2. It was really good! I liked it so much better than the last movie.

      Oh, and Piper, you need to get one of those tools! It makes breaking up meat so much easier. Plus, it's great for mashing potatoes if you don't want to get out the hand mixer. :)

      Delete
  5. By the way, was the movie good?

    And yes, congrats to your nephew!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happened with the nephew? Is this the one who plays baseball? Just love his name, can't remember what it is right now but it was really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love tacos! Quick, fun, delicious! And I get around the carbs by just making a humongous taco salad... That way I can layer on all the meat and sour cream and salsa I want and it's still carb friendly because it's broccoli slaw below!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, you've now officially made me feel guilty for the carbs! I should try the salad idea next time. :)

      Delete