Monday, October 29, 2012

Lazy Day, Sunday Afternoon

Sunday afternoons around here are...quiet.

The kind of quiet I hated when I was a kid, but the kind I cherish now that I understand.

You see, I take a Sabbath rest. I love this day of rest and worship.

Sunday breakfast is easy-peasy. Bagels. Cereal. Juice. Everybody gets their own.

And now that everyone is older, we actually get to church on time :)

Sunday dinner is easy-peasy. Crock pot. Breakfast tortillas. Sloppy Joes. Pot Roast. Meatloaf.

And all the prep work is done the day before, so all I have to do is heat it up. I don't really cook on Sundays.

Next comes a long Sunday afternoon of reading, playing a family game, maybe taking a drive up into the Hills...until fall arrives.

On chilly fall Sunday afternoons, I keep a crock pot full of hot, spiced cider going - adding to it as needed - and we all sip cider while we're reading, playing games...or watching football!!!

(I'm the only one who likes the football - the others ignore me while the game is on.)


So, who's going to join me for a pot of hot cider this week?

First you need a crock pot. I have two crock pots - one for meals and one for side dishes and cider. It holds about a gallon.

Fill the crock pot with cider or apple juice, add 1/4 cup brown sugar, and then add the spices:


2 sticks cinnamon
10-12 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg





Put all the spices in a bag. You can make one out of a coffee filter, or you can buy one of these spiffy paper tea bags my daughter found to use with her loose-leaf tea.

I break the cinnamon sticks in half so they fit easier, and fasten the top of the coffee filter bundle with a safety pin I keep just for cider.





Stir the brown sugar into the cider, add your spice bag, and turn your crock pot on high. It will take about an hour for the cider to heat up and get all spicy. Once the cider is hot, turn the crock pot down to low.

You can also use a pot on the stove. Once the cider is hot, just let it simmer.

The bonus is that sweet, spicy, appley fragrance filling your house all Sunday afternoon...



And then after evening service, my dear husband loves to have a quick supper. Fried egg sandwiches are his favorite. No recipe needed!







And please, please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers the Moody Blues! If you don't remember their song, go here to listen. This is called a lesson in cultural literacy :)

11 comments:

  1. Jan, I'm loving the little spice diaper!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I'm sorry to say I don't know that song! But I love lazy days. :) I had a nice Sunday afternoon nap--after the Falcons won!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to say I haven't heard the song either. I spent most of yesterday afternoon (Sunday) reading in the sun. I have found since I was so sick then mum passed away I tend to like silence more than ever before. I will listen to music but I tend to turn of the tv and often sit doing things in silence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me, either, Tex. Isn't that funny?

    I love spiced cider and got a tip from a gal this weekend...

    Take a pot of cider and pour red hot cinnamons into it, heat until they melt, then drink.

    It turns bright red and it's delicious although a little sweet. But fun to have it red!

    I love hot apple cider simmering. It's a fall smell, homey and rich. And fried egg sandwiches are so much easier for a writer than a multi-pot meal. There are only one or two days a week I'll entertain the thought of multi-pots because I'd just plain rather write.

    And sandwiches and salads are simply delicious... and then everyone really, truly appreciates when I do cook! (this was not always the case, LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what happens when I don't identify myself. We need nametags. Seriously.

      The red hot cinnamon candies are a great idea for the cider - especially at Christmas.

      And Ruthy, are you in the path of that storm at all? Or is it too far east for you?

      I know Mary Curry is right in the thick of things...

      Delete
  5. BTW, I make something similar just to make the house smell good when I have company at holiday times. My recipe calls for orange and lemon slices as well. It's delicious! The slices make it decorative, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missy, I started making this back when we lived in Kansas and were having an open house every other Sunday afternoon. Was that two years ago?

    It made the house smell great, and gave the visitors a treat. Our realtor thought it was a great idea.

    What I love is that it's so easy! Some cider, a few spices, your favorite extras, and you have the ultimate comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my recharging Sundays too, Jan. I think there's a reason God told us to remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy. It's the only day of the week that I don't work. Phew! I try to spend extra time with my bible and a devotion too -- just kind of being still so I can know He is God. I don't do that enough in the weekdays.

    And thanks for the idea of apple cider in a crockpot. I wondered if that was possible to do. Now I know it is. I like the idea of it simmering away all day and having a mug or two or three as I putter around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll take the fried egg sandwich! I've never been a fan of cider but don't know if I"ve ever had homemade either so I'll assume it's different since people rave about the stuff on several websites!
    I think Ineed a nap! hope everyone up north where that bad storm is headed is ok..I hate hurricanes and I should be prepared but I remember when it got so cold down here a couple of yrs ago - in the upper teens and one of my facuets busted..we aren't prepared for super cold conditions down here and the northeast ain't prepared for stuff like they're getting etiher.
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I missed this post! But I'm a huge fan of hot cider but hate tying up the stove and having to watch it to make sure it doesn't boil to nothing.

    I DO have a crockpot! I'm trying this! Pobrbaly won't be able to make the cute spice diaper, though. :D

    ReplyDelete