Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Goin' Bananas

What do you do when your bananas look like this?
Well, in my house, it calls for a batch of banana nut bread. Over the years I've tried lots of different recipes. Some good, some not so good. The recipe I'm going to share with you today is one of the best I've tried. Of course, it's courtesy of Martha Stewart, so what would you expect.
 
You're going to need:
  • 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups flour (Martha says unbleached all-purpose; I used the better-for-bread variety)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan or four smaller pans (I opted for the smaller pans).
 
With an electric mixer (perhaps one named Edna), cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
 
Add the eggs and beat well.
Sift the dry ingredients together and combine with the butter mixture.


Blend well. Add the bananas, sour cream (the ingredient I think makes this recipe stand out), and vanilla. Stir well. (I used my electric mixer on the lowest speed)

Stir in the nuts.

Pour into prepared pan(s).

For one large pan, the instructions are to back for one hour, until a cake tester comes out clean. For my four small loaves, I found 40 minutes to be just right.
 
Turn baked loaves onto rack to cool.

I love keeping these little guys in the freezer so they're ready whenever I need them. Sometimes, I'll put them in a cellophane bag with a pretty ribbon and give them as gifts.
 
Of course, they also go perfect with cup of tea. I'm having a little one-on-one with some Cream Earl Green. He's so smooth, you know.

 
Tea's on, gang. Who's ready to join me?

14 comments:

  1. Banana bread is a biggie at our house. I used to make it all the time - but then everyone started eating bananas! Now I rarely have any that get ripe enough.

    I know, I need to buy more bananas.

    That recipe looks so good. So many times a banana bread recipe is dry and crumbly, but it really needs to be more like a cake, doesn't it? I think the sour cream would add that extra moist goodness.

    I know. The next time I buy bananas, I'll hide them in the garage. Then maybe we'll get banana bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go, Jan. Just buy a few extra and hide them. You know, it's funny. We were eating bananas like crazy and then all of a sudden, everytime I bought them, they'd just sit. Go figure.

      You're right about so many being dry. That's the main reason I like this one. Just the right texture.

      Delete
  2. Sniff. I am allergic to bananas. Latex allergy. Which means no avocado, no kiwi, but pumpkin. I will always have pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, that is just not fair. However, I'm glad you get to have pumpkin. That would really be sad to have to do without. Pumpkin is one of my favorite things about fall. I love the smell, the taste...You just can't go wrong with pumpkin.

      Delete
    2. NO!! I didn't know someone with latex allergy couldn't eat those things! You poor thing.

      Well, be sure to come back Friday. I'm hoping to share a pumpkin muffin recipe I just discovered. I plan to make it. :)

      Delete
  3. Julie, I feel for you. I'm allergic to nuts. But it's easier to make Banana Nut bread w/o nuts than bananas, right?
    I usually try to sneak some brown sugar into mine when I make it. I am going to try this recipe for sure. Sour cream is a marvelous idea! Thanks Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, Donna. As a matter of fact, I think my boys would prefer it without nuts. However, they're not the ones doing the baking, so they just have to deal with it:-) Brown sugar sounds like a nice addition/substitution. Might have to try that next time.

      Delete
    2. My kids hate nuts in it so I usually leave them out. I've also poured out two loaves without, then added nuts in the last loaf. :) Or have also sprinkled them on top (also sometimes sprinkle on top of half a pan of brownies. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow! I've never seen a recipe with sour cream! Sounds like it would be amazingly moist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Missy. Which is just how we like it :-)

      Delete
  5. YUM. I'm late today and its already lunch time here. I have to try this one... I have a great zucchini recipe but the banana bread never turns out right for me. And my kids LOVE banana bread. Of course, like Missy said, I'd have to hide some. They eat bananas like crazy.

    Can't wait for the pumpkin muffins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, haha! I just saw the Edna reference.

    She's here, peeking at the laptop. I brought it into the kitchen to see the recipe.

    She approves. And also would like to say your mixer has a very fine beater.

    The matching spatula and cutting board has her examining the kitchen decor here.

    She's mumbling something about chrome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm, but you forgot the chocolate chips! I love banana bread with chocolate chips. :-) This makes a lot of bread though. Mine only makes one loaf. I'll have to compare recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edna apparently did a really good job. Virginia posted an amazing picture. Mindy, you are spreading over fb!

    ReplyDelete