Friday, June 1, 2012

Guest, Jenny, Shares an Aussie Dish!

Missy, here. Last week, Jenny mentioned a traditional favorite dish I'd never heard of. It's called Pavlova. And today, Jenny is sharing a recipe! After reading it, I realized it's what we might call a meringue. Basically baked egg whites.

Here's the recipe (that Jenny found in U.S. measurements) for us! Thanks, Jenny, for exposing us to new dishes here in the Cafe.



Pavlova


4-6 egg whites
pinch salt
8oz castor sugar (Jenny said this is super fine sugar)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 level teaspoons cornflour (And this is what we call cornstarch)


Preheat oven to 400F(200C).
Lightly grease oven tray, line with baking paper or use non-stick cooking spray.

Beat the whites of eggs with a pinch of salt until stiff (until peaks form).
Continue beating, gradually adding sugar, vinegar and vanilla, until of thick consistency.
Lightly fold in cornflour.

Pile mixture into circular shape, making hollow in centre for filling.
(Mixture will swell during cooking)

Electric oven: turn oven to 250F (130C) and bake undisturbed for 1 -1/2 hours.
Gas oven: bake at 400F (200C) for ten minutes, then turn oven to 250F (130C) and bake a further hour.
(Fan forced oven: temperature and time needs to be adjusted accordingly.)

Turn oven off, leave pavlova in oven until cool.

Top with whipped cream and decorate with fruit as desired. 



I found this beautiful photo of a slice at wendyinkk.blogspot.com

Missy again. I found a nice blog where the blogger made this and gives some tips. So if you'd like to see more, check out the Table For Two... or More blog.

11 comments:

  1. you can put almost any fruit on top. we use crushed pinapple or banana or even crushed or chopped up jello. I dont like strawberries or kiwi fruit which is often used also. Some will be more marshmellow inside but crunchy and chewy is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks yummy, Jenny! I'll have to give it a try. Right now, strawberries and blueberries would be in season and perfect on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, this sounds marvelous! Just the thing for an elegant touch to a summer dessert!

    I wonder - can you add chocolate to it to make a chocolate pavlova?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is a meringue puff.... I make meringue puff cookies (they look like styrofoam but taste delicious!) and I've made something similar to this, Jen, but yours looks BETTER!!! Can't wait to try it, kid. Thank you so much for coming all the way over here from down under! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've only had pavlova a few times (aunt in Ireland made it and she got the recipe from an Australian cousin) but I never did get the recipe. We had mandarin oranges on it too. Yum....And it's lovely and light. A great summertime dessert. Thanks for sharing, Jenny! Hmmmmmm, I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, Kav, it just hit me that this is fairly low-calorie. Except for using real whipped cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good. And it won't kill my Weight Watchers point count. Whoo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember when I was a kid, whipping egg whites and sweetening them and eating them... No one thought of salmonella or anything then. And I still eat raw cookie dough because really, if I DIE it's worth it.

    So meringue puff/Pavlova (which makes it sound so Russian Down Under, LOL) sounds wonderful to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I'm usually paranoid of eggs. But I ate runny egg yolk this morning! I had a craving for an egg over easy. Ate it on an English muffin with cheese. Yum!

      Delete
    2. I have learnt if the egg shell is cracked dont eat it!
      I did this last year not knowing better the shell was cracked and may have been for awhile and I didn't know but never again. I was so sick.
      but I still eat dough.

      Delete
  9. Jan, I know people put grated chocolate on top of the pav.

    Kav, its a great dessert for all year round.

    Ruth, the same recipe is used to make the small meringues also. Mum use to make smaller ones in pie pans and they were more chewy. (less marshmellow) It was a mistake which I loved.

    OH the best one we made a long weekend. On the Saturday mum made the pav then we got a call asking if we would like to go to the beach for the rest of the weekend. They had a beach house so we did but the pav was almost ready to go in the oven. So mum just turned of the oven before we went and when we got back Monday it was a perfect pav.

    Pavlova's will have cracks this is normal.

    Ruthy I also eat raw cookie dough. I never thought it could be a problem til a friend said last year about it but I figure I have been eating dough since I was really little (it was the great think about cooking with mum) and never ever had a problem.

    Oh you are right Ruthy Pavlova is named after a Russian ballet Dancer Anna Pavlova.

    ReplyDelete