Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tuesdays With the Texan - We're Talkin' Breakfast

Howdy! Today's post is so easy, a kid can do it. As a matter of fact, mine do. That is, when they can't recruit me to do it for them.

Now I've seen Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman, do this same thing. She called it something else. Round these parts, we just call it a Bulls Eye. And it all started because someone couldn't get their kids to eat eggs for breakfast.

You will need:
  • an egg
  • one piece of bread
  • butter or margarine
  • salt and pepper
Well, I had to make it official, don't you know.

Using a cup, glass, cookie or biscuit cutter, you cut the center out of the bread.



Then you put them in a skillet of melted butter or margarine. coat both sides of the bread.

Crack egg into the middle making a BULLS EYE. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.


 Cook until bread is toasted, then flip.

Then serve to one of your favorite people. Nothing like celebrating your first day of spring break watching TV while Mom fixes you breakfast. And then let's you eat in her favorite chair.


This is my redhead. Of course, you can't tell that because he just got out of the shower.

Enjoy it while you can, Copperhead, because it's time to clean your room.

21 comments:

  1. How cool is that? Both the recipe and that you have a redhead!!!! LOL. Of course now I'm wondering what would happen if you used a cookie cutter instead? Heart for Valentine's Day. Shamrock for St. Patrick's Day. Star for any day. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Kav, I thought that same thing. Just never followed through on the execution. But I should. Goodness knows I've got all the cookie cutters.

      Thanks for the prompt.

      Delete
    2. What a clever idea, Mindy! I've never thought of this. I've got little monster friends that would love this.

      Delete
  2. How fun, Mindy! My aunt used to make them for us. I'm drawing a blank right now, but I think we always called them a bird's nest. I should make them for my kids sometime! I don't think I ever have. Great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, Danielle called me from college one day wanting to how to make a Bulls Eye. She made them for the guy she was dating at the time and his roommates. She later texted that I was a hero. I bet your kids would love it. Funny how they enjoy something so simple.

      Delete
  3. I've heard a lot of different names for this, but my favorite was "toad in a hole". For some reason, the children liked them better with that name...

    My MIL was hoping I'd have a red-head. My mom and brother both have red hair, so she had a reason for hoping! But alas, all brown.

    Time for breakfast...I think I'll fix a toad in a hole...or bull's eye...or bird's nest...whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My redhead gets it from my MIL. Seems to skip a generation. None of her kids have red hair, but she has two grandchildren who do. And she inherited it from her grandmother. You just never know how those genes will play out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son Matt has my mother's black Irish hair and gray eyes. His wife Karen has red hair and green eyes. They have three beautiful kids, Emma, Dave and Anna.

      Three blondes with blue eyes.

      Genetics are a funny thing for sure.

      Delete
  5. You now, I think I remember my husband ordering this at Cracker Barrel! I think they serve them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fried eggs, and this looks amazing. But my little girl only eats scrambled. Could you scramble the egg? Or would it just soak into the bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea I bet you could scramble them. As long as the pan's hot when you pop the broken egg into it and thrash it around a little... I bet that would work!

      Delete
    2. Sure! Worst you'll end up with is french toast. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, I love me some French Toast! With berries... or with maple syrup.... or powdered sugar...

      YUM!

      Delete
    4. Ruthy, you just had to go and mention french toast. Okay, that was Mary, but you brought up all the toppings. Sheesh!

      Delete
  7. Joining in way late, but we grew up eating these - called them One-Eyed Eggs. LOL I didn't know they had any other names.

    So yummy. Hmmmmm thinking breakfast tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm even later than you, Mary. We were out of town for spring break last week and the family kept me too stinking busy to get on the Internet.

      Delete
  8. This looks yummy, yummy, yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We called it Toad in the Hole. My father used to make this for us on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madelyn, that's what Jan called them. Cute name! :)

      Delete